• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hi - has anybody got any experience with these?

-Reliability
-Noise
-Ease of fitting
-Fitting steps
-Calibration required or just type of spring used

Is it as easy as; wheel arch liner out, 3 bolts, swap the vacuum pipe's and bobs yer uncle?

http://www.courtenay...x/prod_679.html
Posted Image

Many thanks chinky chinky

#2 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Pretty much thumbsup

#3 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi - has anybody got any experience with these?

-Reliability
-Noise
-Ease of fitting
-Fitting steps
-Calibration required or just type of spring used

Is it as easy as; wheel arch liner out, 3 bolts, swap the vacuum pipe's and bobs yer uncle?

http://www.courtenay...x/prod_679.html
Posted Image

Many thanks chinky chinky

I bought one direct from Forge. It's fiddly to fit because access is restricted and it's difficult to see all the bolts, however not really difficult. Not sure what colour spring I used, but it was the 'middle' strength one. So
Reliability - no problems and its serviceable.
Noise - none
Ease of fitting - fiddly with awkward access.
Fitting steps. Remove heat shield above turbo. Remove vacuum pipe. Remove old diaphragm recirc valve. Insert. Reverse procedure.
Calibration. Medium strength spring.

#4 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Many thanks thumbsup

#5 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

So are these being fitted solely because they are more robust the OEM or is there any other benefit?

#6 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

So are these being fitted solely because they are more robust the OEM or is there any other benefit?

OEM ones can split causing problems so this is a good upgrade. Also if you have a higher stage of tune you can get flutter and back pressure to the turbo on feathering the throttle and this valve with an uprated spring will reduce that a lot but won't neccessarily cure it completely.

Edited by oblomov, 01 June 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#7 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

OK Some feedback after fitting and testing this today! FITTING: It was a PITA, not complicated but hard on the back, and the legs. -Slacken hose clip Intake -> AAM -Slacken hose clip Intake -> turbo -Disconnect intake from turbo and lift out of the way -Put sandwich bag or similar over the turbo intake -Pull vacuum pipe out of OEM recic valve. -Remove 3 x allen head bolts -Gently move the bracket, being careful with all of the vacuum pipes in the vacinity -Pull out 2 parts to the original valve (mine looked intact) -Drop the new valve in with the 'flat' at 10 o'clock -Seat the new valve and hold the bracket in place whist replacing 3 bolts -Replace vacuum hose and put the intake pipe back in place TESTING: There are a few reasons I upgraded -Prevention is better than cure :rolleyes: -I like shiny things, even ones you can't see once installed :rolleyes: -On occassion, when boosting up and then aborting, I was getting a bit of a jolt, which I assume is turbo stall -You could hear the OEM valve dumping only some of the time and the strength of the dump seemed inconsistant After fitting I am pleased. Its no louder than the OEM, afterall its still dumping to the same place. Tried boosting up and aborting and heard it dump strongly with no jolt. Tried repeatedly going on and off throttle in quick sucession and dump seemed nice and consistant. Seems to feel slightly better through the gears. On the whole I feel that this was a worthwile upgrade. thumbsup

#8 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Good to know thumbsup

#9 John Boy

John Boy

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

After fitting I am pleased. Its no louder than the OEM, afterall its still dumping to the same place. Tried boosting up and aborting and heard it dump strongly with no jolt. Tried repeatedly going on and off throttle in quick sucession and dump seemed nice and consistant. Seems to feel slightly better through the gears. On the whole I feel that this was a worthwile upgrade. thumbsup [/quote] Agree, smoothed out the part throttle surge on mine. Shame to have a nice shiny thing like this hidden away, but for the money it improved the drivability enormously. Well worth it.

#10 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:58 AM

Going to check which version I have fitted as I'm u unsure Then spotted this.. does anyone have fitted http://www.courtenay.../prod_1232.html I shouldn't be spending £££ but...I'm weak

#11 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:47 AM

Ordered Recirculation Valve Turbosmart

Worth a change I guess for the cost 

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

how much , lolz

still have my cheapo forge copy , it only has one moving part so nothing to go wrong

#13 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

Just fitted the Turbosmart recirculating valve  AND wow what a difference, the part boost issues have gone and its a loads smoother 

Posted Image

The std version looked fine but the spring is very weak

Posted Image

Well worth the upgrade 

:wub:

#14 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

wow what a difference, the part boost issues have gone and its a loads smoother 

Really? that simple?   Why?

#15 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

wow what a difference, the part boost issues have gone and its a loads smoother 

Really? that simple?   Why?

The std version looks like it comes out of a cornflake packet.

The rubber and spring are silly soft.

Check http://www.courtenay.../prod_1232.html

Turbosmart Kompact Shortie Series Recirculation Valves have been specifically designed to suit BorgWarner EFR and KKK turbos.

Unlike the standard plastic valves that use un-reinforced rubber diaphragms and are known to crack or split under increased boost, the new TS Kompact valve uses an O-Ring sealed piston which, coupled with their billet aluminium construction gives them over 30PSI of boost handling capability using a single spring and increased reliabity over the factory valve.

Designed as a bolt-on direct replacement replacement for the factory valve on all BorgWarner EFR, KKK turbos, the Kompact Shortie Plumb Back provides better boost response and greater boost handling capability than the factory fitted recirculation valve.

#16 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

Turbosmart also do an upgraded turbo actuator as well....might be well worth look at.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users