• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 greasemonkey

greasemonkey

• PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:trackdays, golf, fishing, skiing, cycling and 10k runs

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

Been saving hard and finally got some money to spend, im so :groupjump: ive had the manifold, charger and throttle body for about 6 months now :beat: . My aim is to use my classic mini as my main car and concentrate on the vx, getting a new front clam, full respray while the clams are off, inc my mandarin roof.

Change my black leather interior for a prefered biscuit one ive bought. Also been collecting lots of bits, rear badges, mesh grills f&b, sill stickers and 3/4 number plate for the front.

Now i need as much help, advice and guidance as .org members can give to help me spend my money wisely to get the elusive 300 BHP Imnotworthy

Posted Image

The above pic is of my car march last year and the paint has been hit hard with being used through the winter months. The clam has cracked in a couple of places over previous repairs and the probably is not a vx with any more stone chips than mine

#2 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

Pulley, pistons and rods are all thats needed for 300 bhp I believe?? Sounds like some major work is about to commense! I wouldn't mind a look round that mini. Not seen a proper one for a while.

#3 greasemonkey

greasemonkey

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

Got my winter car, the mini is on a spit at the moment. But major progress painting and rebuilding commencing, to get it out of the garage before the end of july. Going to use it all stripped out with just front seats, belts and bare essentials on the inside heater etc :lol: . It has had lots of panels and some patching up too, so its not a minter but solid little second car. Cheap tax, fuel and classic insurance. thumbsup

#4 greasemonkey

greasemonkey

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

Pistons and rods. These any good FLD?

#5 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

Yep, those would do. I'd suggest getting onto Karo from all ecotec, he's pretty good on price. Go for the 0.5mm oversize pistons then rebore.

#6 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Pulley Pistons Rods Vxr injectors Cams Valves and duel valve springs 3" exhaust thumbsup

#7 pistenbroke

pistenbroke

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

what is the cost of these upgrades.... would this include exhaust etc... no mention of a super charger and still 300bhp?

#8 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

Off course a supercharger is mentioned, it's in his thread title ;) 300bhp need an exhaust 2.5" or 3" Engine internals cost £1500ish

Edited by joe_589, 03 June 2011 - 10:48 PM.

#9 greasemonkey

greasemonkey

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

Pistenbroke i paid £800 for my supercharger, manifold and throttle body off a guy on here who needed the money asap. The rest ill know soon. joe_589 i sort of have an idea of what parts i need as ive been reading up on yours and other peoples posts etc, need more info. What size pulley do you suggest and am i better getting a interchangeable pulley system? Where can i get cams from, ive heard people talking of blower cams i guess these are what i need. FLD why the rebore? my engine has only done 50k so will it be 100% nessasary? cant i just get standard size low comp pistons? Hoping to make up a custom exhaust im quite a good welder and welded stainless before so gonna give it a go buying a manifold flange, performance 200 cell cat and silencer then sourcing all the bends and putting it all together. :blink:

Edited by greasemonkey, 03 June 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#10 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:07 PM

If you are going for 300 get a 2.9 pulley so you will need an interchangeable system. Usually go overbore to allow extra volume of air in usually about £20 a cylinder so cheap Yup get blower cams, you can get all the internals from Allecotec.com or I might be able to sort it out if you let me know when you are able to buy them thumbsup Oh and ditch the cat unless you don't have a friendly mot guy. Probably best to put a silencer in there instead of a cat. Good luck with making your own system thumbsup

Edited by joe_589, 03 June 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#11 greasemonkey

greasemonkey

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Joe is you car up and running yet? been keeping an eye on your project. not got the money for that harrop business though. Re my cat im an MOT tester :rolleyes: food for thought.

Not read of anyone boring them out before, the z22se has liners doesnt it? didnt know it was possable with liners. so these cams ? Can my cams be reprofiled?

Isnt there somone that has made a short harness that allows you to use the M62 TB without chopping the cars harness? been looking for the post i read with the pic looked very tidy.

#12 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:21 AM

yep they have liners and will take a re bore nearly everyone using low comp pistons re bores to oversize. yep they are the cams, no don't think you can also look on the z22se.co.uk site, lots of info there

Edited by NickB777, 04 June 2011 - 04:23 AM.

#13 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

If you strip the loom back you don't need to extend the tb wires. However you still need to change injector plugs and extend the carbon canister valve wires thumbsup Nope not up on running just yet... Hopefully very soon :)

#14 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

Pistenbroke i paid £800 for my supercharger, manifold and throttle body off a guy on here who needed the money asap. The rest ill know soon.

joe_589 i sort of have an idea of what parts i need as ive been reading up on yours and other peoples posts etc, need more info. What size pulley do you suggest and am i better getting a interchangeable pulley system? Where can i get cams from, ive heard people talking of blower cams i guess these are what i need.

FLD why the rebore? my engine has only done 50k so will it be 100% nessasary? cant i just get standard size low comp pistons?

Hoping to make up a custom exhaust im quite a good welder and welded stainless before so gonna give it a go buying a manifold flange, performance 200 cell cat and silencer then sourcing all the bends and putting it all together. :blink:

I would at least hone the bores if fitting new pistons. I'd be concerned with fitting standard sized pistons with a hone, hence the rebore. I'd thought you'd get away with rods and pistons for 300bhp, shows what I know!!

Come and see me about the exhaust. Cant say here :ninja:

#15 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Pulley
Pistons - Wiseco +0.020
Rods - Eagle
Vxr injectors
Cams - CompCams Blower
Valves and duel valve springs - supertech, *need extra machining*
3" exhaust

thumbsup

you need to rebore the engine because the forged pistons expand more than standard pistons - so might start to sieze, it's not worth the risk for a £100-125 rebore :closedeyes:

you also need a ported head because the standard exhaust ports are too small

Edited by vocky, 04 June 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#16 Phear

Phear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'm not sure the double valve springs are really necessary for 300bhp, all they do is allow you to up the rev limit slightly and on a 2.9 pulley the eaton is running out of puff over 6800 rpm anyway. Also not convinced the larger valves help all that much either. The rest however are required and if your doing all that block work you might as well do a balance delete as its basically free, as is a port and polish of the head (if you do it yourself). Also might want to consider a lighter flywheel as well, if funds permit.

#17 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:01 AM

Pulley
Pistons
Rods
Vxr injectors
Cams
Valves and duel valve springs
3" exhaust

thumbsup

are the dual valve springs really needed? I've yet the see a SC power curve that makes much power past 7krpm*

Also I'd say that a 4-1 manifold with 1.75" or 2" primarys is also needed

*EDIT beaten to it, although it's the inlet manifold thats the problem not the Eaton

Edited by Winstar, 04 June 2011 - 10:04 AM.

#18 Phear

Phear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

*EDIT beaten to it, although it's the inlet manifold thats the problem not the Eaton

Your probably right but if its the manifold wouldn't fitting a harrop offer little over the eaton at high rpms?

#19 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

No double valve springs on mine and no oversized valves (although I do have the Saab sodium filled exhaust valves for extra safety). My head has also had the inlet side cleaned up a bit and exhaust ports matched to the manifold.

#20 greasemonkey

greasemonkey

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

These are just rough prices inc shipping and vat just to make a start, will be shoppping around a bit more yet, any pointers of things ill need or have missed or even links etc very welcome ! :D

Pistons and rods £645.00 My link

Pulley system £70.00 My link

VXR Injectors (listing ended just an example) £80-100 My link

Cams £410.00 My link

Valve springs £363.00 My link

Rebore £100-120

Idle pulley backet £78.10 CS

Inlet support bracket £42.95 CS

MAP sensor £63.06 CS

Top hose £16.50 CS

Belt £!4.95 CS

Uprated fuel pump £!02.10 CS