• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

To cure play in the steering joints, I bought a complete set from Eliseparts.

I've changed the bottom coupling before, but was not expecting the top one to be such a PITA. However, with the bottom joint and rod out, the supplied part is about 10 mil longer. I called Geary who honestly said he'd sold many, but did not know if any had gone to a VX.

Is the VX part different, or do our originals have a different top joint so the overall length is the same? Also the supplied top joint has a larger opening than the splines on the other end and those on the bottom UJ?

Posted Image

Help please, I hate being upside down in the footwell!

Edited by Partridge, 21 August 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

I honestly don't know, but given the number of elises to vx220s, you might get a quicker response by asking if the elise part is the same as the original for an elise on seloc

#3 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

I fitted one. I also fitted a new rack at the same time. You will need to take the dash top off, undo the 3 bolts holding the steering wheel, speedo and top section of the rack. Then undo a plastic screw holding the cowling to the underside of the dash. This will give you enough play to attach the bits all together again. No matter how I tried I could not get the new bits in with the rack and wheel fixed in place. The top uj is the hardest to get at. A few pics would help my descriptions, sorry if it's not clear.

Edited by Ouchie, 22 August 2011 - 08:07 AM.

#4 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

I've changed the bottom coupling before, but was not expecting the top one to be such a PITA. However, with the bottom joint and rod out, the supplied part is about 10 mil longer. I called Geary who honestly said he'd sold many, but did not know if any had gone to a VX.

Should not be a problem. There's enough play/slide in the system to align everything.

Also the supplied top joint has a larger opening than the splines on the other end and those on the bottom UJ?

The upper steering column is not splined like the rod and steering rack. It only has a flat side on it, so the upper UJ has 2 different 'sides'

To replace the upper UJ and keep your sanity you should really remove the steering column. (remove dash, remove stack, undo bolts, lift out)

I have never been able to undo the upper UJ connection to the steering column with it in place.

Do NOT 'spin' the steering wheel when the shaft to the rack is disconnected! The airbag and horn use a clock-spring mechanism which only allows a certain number of turns each way.

With the steering column removed from the car, undo and remove the upper UJ, attach the new one and tighten the bolt onto the upper column, attach the intermediate shaft (just insert the bolts so it can't fall out, don't tighten yet) and feed it back into the hole and connect it to the steering rack.

Now 'shuffle' the UJ's and connection so they all align and tighten down properly on all remaining (3) bolts.

Remove the steering wheel and re-set so it sits flat when going straight. You may need a re-alignment if 'straight' is just either side of a spline.

Job done!

Bye, Arno.

#5 ElizP987

ElizP987

• 4,037 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hi have some off a VX you can have for free if you want

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

The upper steering column is not splined like the rod and steering rack. It only has a flat side on it, so the upper UJ has 2 different 'sides'

To replace the upper UJ and keep your sanity you should really remove the steering column. (remove dash, remove stack, undo bolts, lift out)

I have never been able to undo the upper UJ connection to the steering column with it in place.

I.i.r.c., my upper steering collumn is splined similar to the other splines. Also no difference in U-joint connections. :glare:

edit; I see that the above joint is welded to the shaft? That can give some fitting troubles...

Edited by Exmantaa, 22 August 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#7 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks everyone. The part supplied is welded, the same as in Liz's picture. That's some comfort, but I would be happier if someone could say they have fitted an Eliseparts unit without problem!

#8 ElizP987

ElizP987

• 4,037 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

AFAIK on the earlier cars they weren't welded, as pictured here:

CLICKY

chinky chinky

#9 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

Ease your woes Mr P, I have fitted the EP kit to my car and have yet to die :D

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

Ease your woes Mr P, I have fitted the EP kit to my car and have yet to die :D

Same as that. Been on since I replaced the rack 3(?) years ago.

#11 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to hear. The rather irritating part is that I have identified where the annoying play is located. I had thought it was a knuckle I obtained locally, but no, it is the six month old Titan rack :9mm: So I have two issues to resolve on the car at the mo. One is the QR rack i fitted to 'improve' the steering rack which had covered 80,000 hard miles and second is the 'uprated' toe-link kit to replace the original which was likely to kill me at any minute, despite having also covered 80,000 hard miles and being in good order :9mm: :9mm: :9mm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users