Photo

Elvington This Saturday £89

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LewisT

LewisT

• Pip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorbikes, jet skiing, downhill mountain bike riding, anything that i might hurt myself doing

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:33 AM

This weekend will by my first track day. I figured seen as I going to come to the national meet, i dont want to get showed up by you lot!!!! So I having a bit of a practice and taster this weekend in my VX. One other VX going, anyone from here??? The weekend is cheap enough, so i'm quite looking forward to it, its with javelin motorsports who i havent heard of before, but after a quick google search, the reviews seem pretty good.

#2 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:04 AM

New Tyres Please!

#3 barrybethel

barrybethel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:11 PM

Did my first with Javelin at Elvington and it was great fun. Watch out for your tyres though, the surface is very abrasive. Do 4 or 5 laps at a time and then pit to cool em down. Watch your left front especially.

#4 wickywire

wickywire

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, Rugby, the usual

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

i would go as i live about 45mins away but as the weather is hot the track will destroy my tyres completely on the front as they are near the limit. I plan to use them for brunters then get new ones after. Partridge need 4 new tyres after he was there. They were completely bald. :o

#5 LewisT

LewisT

• Pip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorbikes, jet skiing, downhill mountain bike riding, anything that i might hurt myself doing

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:33 PM

My first day went fantastically. Absolutely no problems. I was a little nervous not driving with insurance, but after a few slow laps i quickly realised most people were very sensible, and there was little chance of anything too bad happening to the car. The track was great, a little dificult getting used to the circuit with the cone layout, and i have to saw the corners were limited in the sense that, they were only ever sharp 90degree corners, the cones never marked out a nice tight corner, it was just one cone for the corner making it always a sharp tight corner. However there was one long hairpin, which you could take at a tad over 70. :o But after entrusting my prized possesion to my friend who has done plenty of karting, we decided that this corner couldnt be taken any faster. He quickly got the feel for the car, noting its similar handling to a kart. And after over taking some slower cars leading up to the hairpin he felt the throttle should remain pinned, and use a slightly wider line to bleed off speed. Doing 90, this didnt work, in actual fact, mid turn the oversteer began, he was too slow to correct. The car continued round... Facing backwards, the wheel still half turned, the car lurched round again, we were now doing a good 70 sideways, smoke everywhere. Quickly we went into the 5ft high grassy area. Were after a while we stopped. My heart was pumping, i was fuming with him for driving excessively fast, angry with myself for not forcing him to slow down, and pissed off thinking my car damaged. Luckily the car hitnothing through the grass and we didnt flip!!! Instead, once the engine restarted we were fine, we reversed out and drove gingerly to the pits where my mate got a severe bol***ing. Truthfully we were both glad nothing happened to car, or ourselves. So afer lunch in the pub we returned, committed to not make that mistake again. A few piccies of the car in action...

Attached Images

• vex1.jpg

#6 LewisT

LewisT

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:34 PM

one more...

Attached Images

• vex3.jpg

#7 LewisT

LewisT

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:35 PM

final one...

Attached Images

• vex2.jpg

#8 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:24 AM

Sounds like a good day. Glad the "off" wasn't too eventful and you didn't hit anything!! :P Ready for Brunters! rallly

#9 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:25 AM

Nice report matey thumbsup

#10 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:02 AM

Spinning is all part of the fun (as long as there is a nice big catch area :) ) Bet it's scary spinning at 90 in your own car though :o

#11 Timbo

Timbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:08 PM

Only 90, you want to try at about 100 in the wet with armco on one side then you will know what scary is :o . Oh and i nearly forgot ;) a rape seed field on the other.

#12 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:18 PM

I came off at Silverstone last August, doing around 90mph. All I could think was 'Bugger'. That soon changed to 'Oooh, what a lot of smoke' :D

#13 barrybethel

barrybethel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

Was he crap at karting then your mate?

#14 LewisT

LewisT

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:30 PM

Dont know how good he was, he used to race pretty regular like, in quite a high class, then give it up due to lack of finance. He's a good driver, he definatly got some skills, but I wont forget what he did, and when he does his track day... I will probably do nothing at all! :P

#15 barrybethel

barrybethel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

I was only joking Lewis mate! Glad no harm was done though

#16 LewisT

LewisT

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

Glad no harm was done though

It nearly was!!!
In fact i cleaned car again today, and Im stll finding bloody grass everywhere from that spin...

When i get my hands on him...!!! :9mm: :9mm: :9mm: :beat:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users