341 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

I took my VX into a local performace garage and had a service, after the normal fuel filter issue it been back once alreay and will be going back again next week. I dont mind its not a problem as i'm not paying for a mistake by there supplyers... however since the car was serviced on tuesday (i have not driven the car untill this morning to take it back for round 2 for the fuel filter.) once i started the car this morning (cold) smoke/steem white/clear in colour was pooring from the engine bay.. from between the boot and manafoldish that area.. now my question is this... could that be greese/oil/wd40/spilled coolant just burning off and after an hours driving will stop or is my mananfold/down pipe buggered.. can the exorst manafold get that hot quickly enought to burn off spillage? also, as i'm not sure what it is yet, i'm not going to blame the garage as yet.. BUT if the manafold/exorst ect has been damaged, how could they have done it? :( i was not going to post anything but just thinking about it there and i'm stuck in the office, my mind is running ragged with worrie

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

It does get hot damn fast. It's probably spilt oil from where they've topped it up as if they miss the hole it'll dribble the exhaust way. Give it a run and keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels just to be sure

#3 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

All I can say, is that if anything oily drips onto the exhaust then it WILL produce smoke. I've had it on mine, the smoke was most visible around the rear passenger-side wheel area, also visible in the passenger-side wing mirror.

#4 snotvomit

snotvomit

• PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Computers, sports cars

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

I regularly spray all the wiring with WD40. Sometimes some gets on the exhaust manifold. It smokes like mad when it's next started/driven for maybe 10 minutes. One time I was at the traffic lights and a guy behind me was beeping me and flashing and pointing at the back. I gave him a thumbs up to thank him.

#5 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

Even a greasy fingerprint makes a lot of smoke once the manifold hots up.

#6 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

thanks for the reassurance guys, been playing on my mind, it only done 1 mile since the service so prob just sh** buring off, if the exhorst manafold can get hot enought to start it off smoking after a few seconds rather then a minut or too then its just burning stuff off (keep telling myself that)

#7 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

Very hot in seconds,but just shine a torch down and have a look.Think you may see i bit of oil thumbsup (hope so)

#8 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

I fitted a new turbo to mine a few years back. Started it up then jumped down, went underneath and stuck my arm up next to the exhaust to see if it was blowing. My arm nicely stuck to the exhaust and took all the skin off. That was within a minute

#9 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

You can expect an exhaust manifold on a turbo car to get upto 800 degrees C or possibly more if constricted badly like the OEM log design.

#10 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

HELP!!! after driving about and doing 30 odd miles the steam had not stopped and the smell of coolant was very strong.. so popped the boot and my expansion tank is now half empty and there is coolant leaking from the cam cover/spark plug cover.. I phoned the garage and said they are getting the car back on Monday morning as this is ridiculous... i read once about over tightening the sparkers can cause damage.. is this likely to have happened? So what do i do next? :angry:

#11 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

HELP!!! after driving about and doing 30 odd miles the steam had not stopped and the smell of coolant was very strong.. so popped the boot and my expansion tank is now half empty and there is coolant leaking from the cam cover/spark plug cover.. I phoned the garage and said they are getting the car back on Monday morning as this is ridiculous... i read once about over tightening the sparkers can cause damage.. is this likely to have happened? So what do i do next? :angry:

#12 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

i read once about over tightening the sparkers can cause damage.. is this likely to have happened?

Possibly, sounds like a gasket is failing if your getting leakage from the block. I would not drive the car until you can determine whats what the potential of coolant mixing and emulsifying with oil could have dire cosequences to your engine.

#13 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

sh** Stuwy, really sorry to read this. Posted Image

I'm a mechanical imbecile and therefore I can't be of much, if any, help but I hope you manage to get it sorted relatively painlessly.

#14 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Whip the coil pack off and see if the plug holes are full of coolant. It is possible to crack the head (although unusual) by overtightening the plugs. Check your expansion tank for cracks it may be possible its cracked and is spraying coolant onto the engine perhaps?

#15 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

Stuwey really sort to read this ( grouphug ) I do hope they have not overtightend the spark plugs :-/

#16 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Stuwey really sorry to read this ( grouphug )
I do hope they have not overtightend the spark plugs :-/

:yeahthat:

Fingers crossed for you :grouphug:

#17 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hope you get it sorted ok

#18 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

:yeahthat: :mellow:

#19 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

Whip the coil pack off and see if the plug holes are full of coolant. It is possible to crack the head (although unusual) by overtightening the plugs.

hope they havent cracked the head by overtightening the spark plug :( if so then a new head will be needed.

:(

#20 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

:yeahthat: :mellow:

:yeahthat:

I can't imagine how annoying and stressful all this must be for you.

Whatever the problem might be, I hope to hear soon that it's been fixed, and that your VX is back on the road again. thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users