• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CALYPSO_VXT

CALYPSO_VXT

• PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:30 AM

Had a long hard think over the past 4 days and decided the rear badge is just too big and spoils the lines of the car. I posted a picture in my gallery that I changed to remove the badge and I've almost decided to bite the bullet today and go for it. Nothing to do with badge snobbery so please don't make this into a post about the morals or doing this. I feel bad enough about denying the rear of my car it's heritage and denying Vauxhall the credit for this car. But it's just too big !!! The front is a different matter and is definitely staying. I've read a lot of previous posts on the subject but may I ask few questions just to clarify the procedure please. . Firstly, Is this something that a person with a faint heart should attempt or am I likely to be crying afterwards when the paintwork is damaged ? . Everyone suggests warming and removing with dental floss. Whats the best way of warming it up and how hot does the glue need to be ? Hair drier etc ?? . Is there any particular technique to use with the floss ? . What is the best way or removing the residue glue ? Meths, polish, etc ?? . How long do I need to get the job done ? Thanks in anticipation for your help.

#2 SPLAM

SPLAM

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:56 AM

the way i've always removed badges and stripes is to warm the badge with a hair dryer. don't go to close as this can blister the paint (rare but possible) but heat it slowly from say 12 inches away. do this for a good 15 mins but all the time slowly pulling at the badge with your fingers, you will find the glue stretching. Just keep this up untill the badge comes away in your hand. This may take 1/2 hour or so "DON'T RUSH IT". Some or lots of the glue will stay behind on the bodywork but dont worry it comes off. I use autoglym tar remover for this part which can take a while. put some on a cloth and dab it on the glue leave for a min then wipe off, the tar remover will only remove a bit at a time so be patient and don't rub to hard. Then once all the dark glue is off you can then polish out any sticky marks that are left behind. Hope this helps. Don't be to scared to do this yourself it really is easy and you will be shocked at the difference in look. By the way that is how i done my vx and a couple of previous motors i've never had a problem like blistered paint or leaving any marks. However i have heard of using dental floss perhaps it leaves less glue residue behind on the paintwork but i would tend to worry about marking the paint whilst moving the floss in a sawing left to right manner. Now get out there and remove them badges. :)

#3 CALYPSO_VXT

CALYPSO_VXT

• PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 06:49 PM

Back de-badged and it looks great. Will post a picture later once the Super Gloss polish dries. What did I learn... Patience !!!!!!! My proocedure:- As Splam (cheers Splam Imnotworthy ) advised I used a hair drier on a medium setting. 1. Gently heat the badge up over a period of about 15 minutes or so. Concentrate near the top but warm the badge all over. I held it about 8 inches away and moved it back and forth so it was not concentrated in the same place too long. 2. Don't play with the badge during this time. Just keep warming. It's not just the badge but the glue and paintwork that needs to get warm ! 3. After 15 minutes or so gentle hold the top edge of the badge and pull towards you. If its ready the badge will give fairly easily and the glue will stretch like chewing gum. If it doesn't give keep warming ! 4. Once it starts giving keep heating but point towards the area where the glue is stretching. 5. Keep pulling towards you and as the glue gives keep pointing the hair drier lowerer and lowerer. 6. Takes about 3 minutes once it starts to give and the badge is then off. 7. 90% of the glue came off with the badge and the rest I rubbed into little balls while it was still warm on the paintwork. 7. Let the paint work cool down 8. I then cleaned any little bits of glue left over with Autoglym Tar Remover as suggested. Soaked and left for 2 minutes. Then rubbbed off with a soft cloth. 9. Polished with Autoglm Super Resin Polish 10. Finished off with Autoglym Exterior Extra Gloss Protection. Very very easy. About 30 minutes in total and makes a big difference to the back. But remember patience as you warm it up and don't play with it until it's ready or you might scratch he paintwork with your nails :groupjump: :groupjump: .

#4 SPLAM

SPLAM

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:47 AM

Good to hear you done it yourself calypso. I bet you were pooing it a bit though. :groupjump: :groupjump: :groupjump: :groupjump: :groupjump: :groupjump:

#5 Chuck

Chuck

• PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Home Entertainment, Computing

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:19 PM

What a palaver !! Use a thick cloth on the bodywork and put a screwdriver between this and the badge and gradually easy it off. Then soke the sticky pad type material with white spirit and job done.

#6 CALYPSO_VXT

CALYPSO_VXT

• PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:58 PM

On my car there was literally no gap between the badge and the paintwork. I could hardly get a finger nail under it. There was absolutely no way I could have got a screwdriver in the gap without serious damage to the paintwork. I wouldn't have even got floss down the back without some damage. I had noticed on an NA car that the glue was a light brown colour and very thick. The badge stood proud of the paint. However on mine it was black and very very thin. Maybe good advise for others and quicker.

#7 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 02:36 PM

Use a thick cloth on the bodywork and put a screwdriver between this and the badge and gradually easy it off.

Then soke the sticky pad type material with white spirit and job done.

Chuck, have you actually done this??? I find it hard to believe this would actually work without some serious damage to the paint.

I de-badged a while back and since my VX is black their is a slight ghost of the griffin in certain light and it shows a bit more when the car is dirty (most of the time with black)

Does anyone else have this and any ideas on how to fix it. (Colour restorer may be?)

#8 Chuck

Chuck

• PipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Home Entertainment, Computing

Posted 24 April 2003 - 03:08 PM

Not yet, waiting for delivery, soon I shall and mine is black too. I have done this process on my two previous cars and it's worked fine, unless Vauxhall is different then I don't see what the problem will be. I have never had any damage to paint doing this as the adhesive is left on the bodywork.

#9 CALYPSO_VXT

CALYPSO_VXT

• PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 03:28 PM

There was a slight mark where the badge had been and I was worried I would have had to put it back on again. But giving it a good polish removed it and even in bright sunlight the paint looks spotless and there is absolutely no way you can tell it was badged. Maybe black is harder to polish the marks out ? Would a very gentle rub with T-CUT help and then repolish ?

#10 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 04:00 PM

I have never had any damage to paint doing this as the adhesive is left on the bodywork.

It was the first time I'd done it and I was using hot water and dental floss (I think this is harder than the hair dryer method by the sound of it). I did do a bit of leverage at the top and it took a hell of a struggle to rip the badge off and 95% of the gunk stayed on the car. The glue is a massive pain to remove so the more you can get off in the actual removal the better. I would strongly recommend the patient method since getting the badge off is only half the battle.

#11 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:31 AM

I removed my rear badges at the weekend using a combination of hairdryer and screwdriver methods. Spent 10mins heating the thing, couldn't get a hold of the edge of a badge so used a screwdriver (with a thick towel for it to push against so i didn't damage the paintwork). Whilst the remaining glue/foam is hot then it's easy to pick 98% of what's left off with a fingernail. Used my swissol kit to nicely finish off the area and then stuck on some new badges which I'd sprayed in Halfords Satin Black, all part of my master plan ;) Ben

#12 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:44 AM

stuck on some new badges which I'd sprayed in Halfords Satin Black, all part of my master plan ;)

Ben

Let's see then.... ;)

#13 Ozzig

Ozzig

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:10 PM

Bit late, but I got the badge off the back of the Alfa with hot (not boiling) water, and a towel to help loosen it. Worked for me, now it just performs like a 1.8 rather than looking like one aswell. ;)

#14 dh_si

dh_si

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:05 AM

I used a hairdryer and a credit card! So the credit card is a little bent, i just called HSBC and got a new one sent! No scratches only a few sticky bits to remove and i had a smooth bum within about 20 minutes!! Makes it so much easier to clean and polish.

#15 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 18 November 2003 - 07:02 PM

Bit late, but I got the badge off the back of the Alfa with hot (not boiling) water, and a towel to help loosen it.

Worked for me, now it just performs like a 1.8 rather than looking like one aswell.

;)

suprised you needed anything to get it off the Alfa...exceppt a little nudge :D

#16 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 03:01 PM

stuck on some new badges which I'd sprayed in Halfords Satin Black, all part of my master plan ;)

Let's see then.... ;)

Sorry for the delay, these dark evenings are a pain! And now it's raining and murky! Oh well, here's a quick shot...

Posted Image

Ben

#17 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 07:09 PM

looks good with the black exhaust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users