#1 jakepeg

jakepeg

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:ALL SPORT
    Oh and now electric guitars and lots of noise

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

Was driving and felt the steering was less precise and after checking tire pressures, wondered about ball joint wear. Ordered front pair from eliseparts and also invested in tool for removing joints and making it all"easy" Ok got wheel off, and pic that came with tool, showed front caliper and brake disc already removed, yet ball joint still in place. I am probably being intensely stupid, but I cannot see how : 1/ front caliper comes away to get discs off,. 2/ how to put on said bought tool over existing ball joint without undoing nut ontop of ball joint prior to this. nearly got spanner wedged in and stuck with wheel off when tried to loosen this nut on top of ball joint. looks as if might be a lotus/ vx difference that makes systems incompatible?

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

two big bolts on the inner face of the caliper bolt inwards towards the hub in to the upright. Loosen these and you will have enough clearance with the pads removed to remove the disk. If removing caliper completely you must support it, a make shift wire hanger will do to stop damage to the brake line. first though I would check for play in the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock, rather than BJ wear, it might be track rods, or worn rack

#3 jakepeg

jakepeg

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:ALL SPORT
    Oh and now electric guitars and lots of noise

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

think you may be right about track rod end as there was more signs of rubber ageing amd ball joints looked reasonable. Just I have the ball joints and might as well know how to fit them. They only done 105000 miles!

#4 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Just I have the ball joints and might as well know how to fit them.
They only done 105000 miles!

Ok here goes:

1. Crack the wheel nuts

2. Jack car up, support with axle stands

3. Take wheel off.

4. Take caliper off (two hex headed bolts)

5. Take disk off (single bolt on the front face of the disk - can't remember if it's cross headed or hex headed)

6. Remove the nut from the offending ball joint - this is difficult.

7. Using a splitter fork, separate the wishbone from the hub carrier (lots of force needed here)

8. Rip the dust cover off the ball joint, place the spacer of the ball joint removal tool on top of the ball joint (side with thread coming out), start to tighten tool, continue until the ball joint comes out.

9. clean up, insert new ball joint (no spacer needed now) from bottom of wish bone (the side the old one came out) - works better if the ball joint has been put in the freezer for a bit.

10. Reassemble in reverse order

#5 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

I found it quicker to leave the calliper and disc in place but turn the steering to full lock. Best to have something like a spare axle stand near to support the weight of the hub/disc etc once the ball joint is released from the hub.

#6 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Best to have something like a spare axle stand near to support the weight of the hub/disc etc once the ball joint is released from the hub.

Or my budget option - a thick bit of wood and a lump hammer to put it in place

#7 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Ah, the luxury options list. Should also add a nice tartan rug to stop your bum getting cold :lol:

Edited by Ouchie, 30 November 2011 - 03:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users