Scotland Independence

• Please log in to reply
2141 replies to this topic

#1 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

So will I need a passport for the Highland Hoon LOL Oh and who will run the Scottish VX.org

#2 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

So will I need a passport for the Highland Hoon LOL

Oh and who will run the Scottish VX.org

Yeah you'll need your passport and I can take your entrance fees and pass it onto the government. ;)

#3 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

`

So will I need a passport for the Highland Hoon LOL

Oh and who will run the Scottish VX.org

Yeah you'll need your passport and I can take your entrance fees and pass it onto the government. ;)

Ok LOL

but you will need a passport for the National

#4 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

So what do you think bob,would you vote for it ?

#5 G-Bob

G-Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Nope. It's all a romantic notion from all the mouth-breathers who have watched Braveheart too much. They have absolutely no plan for some major aspects of how the country would run. Armed forces, banking, health, taxes, laws, exports, currency. None of it has even been considered. We have it great in Scotland. We get the most amount of money from taxes out of all the countries in the UK, subsidised on all the major stuff, and get to make our own laws and taxes (within reason), yet have the security of being backed by the rest of the uk. Why would we leave?!?!?!?

#6 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

Why would we want you? :P

#7 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

Good point,err dont know . Some of your lot seem to want out .So take it most would not go for it then,

#8 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

Good point,err dont know .

Some of your lot seem to want out .So take it most would not go for it then,

They had a little poll over on SE and it 74% no to independance (77 people voted so far)

#9 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

We have it great in Scotland. We get the most amount of money from taxes out of all the countries in the UK, subsidised on all the major stuff, and get to make our own laws and taxes (within reason), yet have the security of being backed by the rest of the uk.
Why would we leave?!?!?!?

See, that is how I see it.
Who has the most to gain/lose?
Scotland or England?

I don't know, hence genuine question, not a p*ss take.

#10 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

The next thing it will be like the sheepshaggers Welsh and the M4 tolls, we will be forced to pay to go over Hadrians wall :rolleyes:

#11 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

England has the most to gain by handing over ALL our debt to Scotland :lol:

#12 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

We have it great in Scotland. We get the most amount of money from taxes out of all the countries in the UK, subsidised on all the major stuff, and get to make our own laws and taxes (within reason), yet have the security of being backed by the rest of the uk.

See, that is how I see it.
Who has the most to gain/lose?
Scotland or England?

I don't know, hence genuine question, not a p*ss take.

Most people in scotland are in the same boat.

Sadly the facts are pretty thin on the ground, and those that do exist get drowned out by people who think Mel Gibson is scottish and braveheart was a documentary,

#13 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

by people who think Mel Gibson is scottish and braveheart was a documentary,

:lol:

#14 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Nope.

It's all a romantic notion from all the mouth-breathers who have watched Braveheart too much.

They have absolutely no plan for some major aspects of how the country would run. Armed forces, banking, health, taxes, laws, exports, currency. None of it has even been considered.

Aw jesus, don't mention Braveheart. People will start telling you "its not historically accurate you know" like I never learned about this stuff at school in the 80's or there was no drive for Scottish Independence before 1995. Devolution was on the Labour manifesto in 1992 ffs There was a referendum in the 70's, we voted yes, it was overruled.

The facts and figures including answers to all you've quoted above as "not even been considered" are out there although not published by most of the mainstream press. The BBC could do us all a favour and provide a report on the pro's and cons of the idea. But instead they got embroiled in the faff about setting a date...even though the SNP keep repeating the same answer and have been since winning the election. Wouldn't it be more in the public interest to publish some facts about the choice we're facing? I'm quite happy with the fact I know its coming in 2014, we have plenty time to consider.

I hate the tories and labour spouting "the scottish people are frustrated" "the scottish people deserve this to be dealt with quickly" I'm sorry? What? Do you see anyone out demanding a referendum right now? Also we've heard no arguments of benefits of remaining in the union, none. Other than, "Well its mutally beneficial" How?, How is it? Its just all SNP bashing and looking to poke holes. Thats great, good for you mr labour or tory MP. But that policy is the one that caused a landslide majority victory for the SNP in Scotland. Do we recall and of Iain Grays policies from the scottish election? Nope. He spent his entire campaign slagging alex salmond. He lost in an election that was set up by labour to never allow a majority government, he then lost his job.

I'd be interested to hear what you believe we are subsidised on....

I used to be against the idea, then I was open to the arguments. I'm now swaying more and more towards independence and the SNP. But we need a positive counter campaign FOR the union.

#15 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

[ But we need a positive counter campaign FOR the union.

You got crap goal keepers and you can keep them :P

#16 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

:lol: two words... Robert Green

#17 G-Bob

G-Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

But that's the point. Every time they are quoted in an interview and asked what their plan is, they say "Well the details are yet to be decided". How can anyone make a decision on something that they don't even have a rough idea of what it's about? Out of all of the taxes paid in the UK, Scotland gets the most money and has done for all of our lifetime. It was something to do with trying to get work into Scotland for the Scottish people. Setting up a country will take an unimaginable amount of pain and money that will not be over in our lifetime. Unless they come up with something miraculous that means I'm not going to either move or be skint all my life, I'm unconvinced. I'm open to both, but until they can come up with something that will benefit me or my family, I'll stay with the union thanks very much.

#18 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Lets turn this around and put it another way? Would it be great if "another political party" the "I'm English and sod the rest party" came along in England and when they won a majority and could make it part of their manefesto to ditch SCotland, Wales, and Ni to get on with themselves...cast them adrift and they sink or swim. then what would the PC, do gooders, Robert Green haters ;) do then? Close the Channel Tunnel is what I say! List here for the IEASTRP 1.

#19 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

As I think has been mentioned above I wish the BBC or whoever would stop pissing about talking about when is best to have a referendum and actually tell everyone what implications it will have, in a nice neat bulled pointed list. Pros, cons. Make your choice.

#20 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

Out of all of the taxes paid in the UK, Scotland gets the most money and has done for all of our lifetime. It was something to do with trying to get work into Scotland for the Scottish people.

Show me the facts of this. All evidence I've seen we are 8.6% of UK population but contribute almost 10.5% of wealth. Edinburgh alone is the biggest city economy in the UK outside of London. Scotland as a whole is the most prosperous region of the UK outwith London and the South East. Also the only area of the UK to have seen growth between 2007 and 2010 out of the forementioned areas.

By the way the facts above do not include those nasty oil and gas figures. Oil and Gas revenues place Scotland. "in terms of GDP per head, Scotland, with a geographical share of oil and gas output, would be the sixth wealthiest nation among the Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development (OECD) countries. The UK is currently 16th place" There is as much known oil and gas untapped than has already been drilled. Another 40 years at least.

I agree there are lots of questions still to answer but facts are out there. Bear in mind a referendum is 2.5 years away.

This is a pub conversation I'd be happy to have with you Bob.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users