14 replies to this topic

#1 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

I am looking to change my exhaust system to a Tullet 3 inch. At present I have a Milltec with the OEM manifold.,My main concern is the noise level for track days, Does the Tullet system meet the noise testing or are there issues? 260 BHP SC with a six speed M32 gear box,

Edited by kieranmcc, 13 February 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#2 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Noise varies. What power is your car? Is it turbo/supercharged? Ive stuck with my miltek as it passes most noise restrictions. I prefer to loose a little power than to be getting black flagged at lots of tracks. 2bular have a good rep and if i was going to go with a 3inch system id buy one.

#3 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

I heard that the 2.5" system is about right for your power output, and might be a little quieter or at least less 'boomy' than the 3" system..

#4 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:fast lightweight cars
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

SC = much louder than any turbo. So stick with an 2.5" exhaust, long silencer and a 200cpsi catalyst. Will be loud enough to satisfy your ears but at least a slight chance to stay below trackday noise limits. Going for 3" and 100cpsi will be too loud for most trackdays for sure. A supercharger is not so critical about exhaust back pressure as turbos are so try to be conservative with the exhaust size. We had some 4 group buys for Tullett exhausts in germany and the SCs tend to be the loudest engines. Much exhaust gas with short exhaust lenght and the lack of an additional silencer in the form of a turbine. Some chose the 3" for their SCs and were unsatisfied because their car was very loud.

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Yep, stick with the 2.5" system unless you really want to go for the 3.0". If they still offer the option and it's not standard now, make sure you get the higher temperature stuffing. As to noise, it really does vary. I can't get on tight noise limit tracks anymore (or I can but it means lifting off before any noise meter) like Bedford but then I couldn't with the previous 2.5" Piper with two silencers. I can breeze past any static noise test but it's the drive-by that's the killer and not sure how much of that is down to the exhaust and how much is down to a screaming 2.9" pulley equipped supercharger. I've got a second silencer section in place of the cat, which helps but still isn't a guarantee on somewhere strict.

#6 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

I have a full 2.5" Tullett on my SC, and was black flagged at Zandvoort and Zolder at fly by @ around 97.7 each. (they are 95 max) Will be putting on a tubby back end this year to see if that helps, as all tracks near by here in NL are 95 maximum.

Edited by smiley, 13 February 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Tullet claim to meet all track noise levels. Mine, when new, was a touch over 97db. After a trip to anglesea and back I was over 100db. My 2bular is just under 96 db. The tullet drones quite a bit on the motorway. If you go tullet get the de cat silencer. I'm running 250bhp, all systems were 3" and measurements were made static, at 1m and 45 deg from tailpipe at 4500 rpm.

#8 Kieran B

Kieran B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

250bhp with a 2.5inch tullet full system (100 cell). Last time mine was tested it was 87db i'm sure.. it does sound much much louder mind. cant you ask for a bit more stuffing in there to to quieten it up a little?

#9 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

3" system is not required for a stage 2 SC thumbsup ps: 260 is the limit for standard rods, so you will have to get it remapped to restrict the engine below 260 :beat:

#10 mrbodger

mrbodger

• PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm in the process of ordering a full 2buler exhaust before s/c ing. I'm only planning on goin to 250bhp but bearing in mind the relatively small price difference, why would I go 2.5" instead of 3"? Any input/advice appreciated.

#11 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Last time mine was tested it was 87db i'm sure..

Cherish it, as you seem to be the only one doing numbers like that on an SC' ed car.

#12 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'm in the process of ordering a full 2buler exhaust before s/c ing. I'm only planning on goin to 250bhp but bearing in mind the relatively small price difference, why would I go 2.5" instead of 3"?

Any input/advice appreciated.

Because a 2" will get you 250 as well, question is will you want more later!
few people have got circa 300bhp with 2.5" so 3" will be massive overkill

#13 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

I have a 3" Tullett, and have had no problems at track days If I were you, I'd listen to one first. I absolutely hate the note - it's very drony; and can't wait to swap it, when I have time to find a replacement

#14 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

I have a 3" Tullett, and have had no problems at track days

It's on the SC'ed cars, where it breaks records.

#15 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

Ah, sorry. Didn't read that bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users