• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_B

Tim_B

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Curry and cars

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Had my first trackday in the vx220 on the weekend at Blyton Park, was a good day but I had a couple of problems with the car. Namely the brakes, they were fine for most corners but sometimes I would press and I got hardly any braking - very disconcerting! It didn´t feel like a problem with pads or fluid as the brakes would come back for the next corner usually, reapplying the pedal normally helped too. The pedal would just feel a bit dead and nothing would really happen. My thoughts at the time was it would be servo related or the master cylinder, however I´ve read it could be the ABS causing a problem, e.g. in this thread http://www.vx220.org...lem-dead-pedal/ To be honest I don´t really understand why this would be the case, just seems a bit bizarre that the abs would compromise the braking. Am I right in saying there was some sort of recall on the servo, and how would I know if its been done (it´s a turbo btw) Just after some more opinions before I install a cut-off switch for the ABS, as I think there are problems with turning it off too - isn´t it linked to the speedo or something. Any thoughts welcome. Cheers Tim P.s. good to meet a couple of vx owners at Blyton too

#2 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Wire in ABS cut of switch in it will stop the unit from cutting in. There is a how to guide on here

#3 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Its all a bit of black art on the VX220. A search on my user name will reveal a bit of a journey with regards to brakes.

#4 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Good pedal feel but no stopping is a sign of fade. What pads are you running?

#5 Adam_B

Adam_B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

make sure you have decent pads and fluid then on the next trackday disconnect your abs. You can do it by unplugging the sensor from the p/s front wheel or as said wire in a switch.

#6 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

If the abs wasn't kicking in, then there is nO need to disconnect it

#7 danger7

danger7

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hi, It could be 'ice mode' what you describe happened to me, it can be very disconcerting on track, i fitted an ABS cut off switch problem cured. Cheers Ian

#8 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

when you say the pedal felt dead, do you mean soft as hell and went down to the floor or rock hard and didn't do anything ?

#9 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

its not an ABS problem and disconnecting the ABS makes no difference at all.

#10 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

I'm with Slindy and JG on this one. Pad change is the first and only step I'd take on those symptoms.

#11 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

Tim, i assume that you have 16" front wheels and you experience the "Ice Mode" which is due to the rotational speed difference between front and rear wheels being beyond the ABS module limit. You can cure this by installing an Elise/Exige ABS module or by disconnecting your ABS (cut off switch or physically disconnect one of your front sensor)

#12 Tim_B

Tim_B

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

when you say the pedal felt dead, do you mean soft as hell and went down to the floor or rock hard and didn't do anything ?

Pedal was hard, it wasn't a case of the fluid boiling and pedal going to floor. Sounds like it could be the ABS/ice mode and yes I am on 16" wheels at the front.

Don't know what pads I'm running, the ones that were on when I bought it which are supposedly uprated. They worked well when I wasn't having this issue, it didn't feel like the pads overheating or fading as they came back immediately.

#13 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

if you come off the pedal and back on immediately were they ok, or did you have to wait a little bit (e.g. for them to cool) before slowing down?

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

Yep, good old hard pedal syndrome. For some reason, though absolutely no idea why, disabling the ABS or switching to the Exige 4-channel ABS controller fixes it. It feels like it's a vacuum issue but don't understand why changing or disabling ABS solves it. It only happens after sustained acceleration and then going straight onto the brakes. Although it feels disconcerting, it is possible to push through it with more pressure. Or, if you come off the throttle briefly and then get on the brakes it doesn't happen - like the servo has built up a vacuum again.

#15 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Tim, i assume that you have 16" front wheels and you experience the "Ice Mode" which is due to the rotational speed difference between front and rear wheels being beyond the ABS module limit.

You can cure this by installing an Elise/Exige ABS module or by disconnecting your ABS (cut off switch or physically disconnect one of your front sensor)

Things to look at in this order:
Vaccum hose
Pads
glazed discs
ABS Unit

#16 Tim_B

Tim_B

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks all, sounds like an ABS switch is the answer!

#17 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thanks all, sounds like an ABS switch is the answer!

:rant:

#18 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I just press harder now which still brakes ok, its just having to overcome that first feeling of rock hard pedal. Driving without ABS is strange at first but you get used to it. there is a guide somewhere on here (cut the yellow cable from the ABS unit) I fitted a bullet connector

#19 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Pedal was hard, it wasn't a case of the fluid boiling and pedal going to floor. Sounds like it could be the ABS/ice mode and yes I am on 16" wheels at the front.

My fluid was foobar'd and I got very hard brake pedal so are you sure it it not the fluid? 4 or 5 decent brakes at any speed would give the hard pedal and no stopping power.

#20 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

What would you say if I told you it's none of the above? :ninja:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users