Copper Brake Pipe Replacement

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

It's looking like I need the long pipe replacing that goes front to back of the VX (Number 7) on the diagram.

Any help how to remove and replace would be greatly appreciated? I think the long stretch down the mid section of the car is going to be the hardest to access.

The other pipes seem fine so I think this one must have had something corrosive on it perhaps. I wouldn't want to panic other VX owners with cars of a similar age but I'm curious to know if others are getting issues?

Posted Image

#2 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

I'm surprised you need to change #7 as this pipe is mainly enclosed within the sill. I would of thought #9 and #10 would be more likely to require replacement due to exposure to the wheel arch area?? :unsure:

#3 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yeah looking at the diagram I'm a bit shocked too. I should have took a picture last time I had the belly pan off. From memory the corrosion was from #7-#9 join forward. That'll teach me for taking it for the MOT with the tray off!

#4 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

They have been known to go before but its not common. Its a slag of a job though so I'd be tempted to pay out for it! If you do want to do it yourself then I think you'll have to break the old oner into sections to get it out. Threading a copper one down the sill wont be too hard but I'd recomend going for the slightly harder copper / nickel pipe. It'll be quite tricky getting it clipped back in where the old one was. (I use a webcam on the laptop to help me see into tough places). Best of luck with it!

#5 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

I had to replace 8 on my old vx. The rear bend as it goes into the sill is exposed and visible in the wheel arch and rusted.

#6 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

corrosion occurs where lotus cable tied the brake pipe to the coolant pipe, it seems the rubber between them acts like a reservoir for dirty road water and it corrodes the pipes I removed the cable ties on mine when I first saw this on another vx220 edit: cable ties are just visible from the rear wheel arch area

Edited by vocky, 04 July 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#7 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I'm pretty sure, replacing that pipe was when this photo was taken...to illustrate what a joy of a job it is :blink:

Posted Image

#8 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

I was wondering how the hell it got into that state so it's good to get an explanation. Here's a pic of the section I took a few years back and you can see the join and the pipe disappearing frontward.

I wasn't going to attempt the job, I've got a local garage chap on it. He's just being a bit cautious and said it could take a few hours and a bit of research, hence me asking you nice folks on here.

Posted Image

#9 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Ha ha love the pic LY_Scott

#10 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

the cable tie is located about 100mm into the sill, you can just about make out the brake pipe heading towards the heater pipe in that pic

#11 sg1009

sg1009

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

FLD is access easy through the front wheel arch?

#12 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Sill cover and dash top off. It goes up and over as I recall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users