Hillclimbing In The Sc - Midlands 11 August

Loton Park Hillclimbing VX220 Supercharged

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Fast road cars, trackdays & sprints, snowboarding.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Having a go at the Roadgoing Production Class record next Sat at my local tarmac speed hillclimb, Loton Park, near Shrewsbury Shropshire. I hold the record in the TVR class & only need to beat that by 1 sec so do-able if weather's hot!!! Would be great to get a modest roadgoing VX220 onto the books, alongside Mike Turpin's new 2012 record in the silly-fast yellow VX that now holds Mod Prod Class record there. Had a few exploratory outings, when not competing in the TVR, 300bhp all present & correct after minor gremlins, brakes now lock all 4 Kumho V70's with CL pads and Exige ABS for awesomely short stopping distances for the 30mph 90-rights. Handling sweet on Nitrons and good geo for the 90mph off-camber main switchback up the hill. It's a good course for spectators, if sun's out and anyone fancies it. There are 150 other interesting sports/saloon/sinlgle seater race cars competing, including 25 TVR's and the Caterham Academy.

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

wish it was closer as that sounds like a great day out :) good luck :grouphug:

#3 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Might see if I'm free for this.

#4 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Vocky! Maybe a few more VX's will be joining the fun, several talking about it for next year.

Hark - more info here on location and general info about Loton;

http://www.hdlcc.com/loton_park.php

This is a run in a Caterham superlight going 1 sec faster than I need to - thankfully they're not allowed in ' roadgoing' ;

#5 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Beer, Diving, not necessarily in that order....

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

Really not to far from me and been meaning to go for a while, I might see if I can make it this weekend as sounds like a great day out!

#6 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

Really not to far from me and been meaning to go for a while, I might see if I can make it this weekend as sounds like a great day out!

Would be good to see you. Burger & ice cream vans will be there and sunny forecast is holding B)

Roadgoing classes are running at about 9.15, 11.00, 1.30 and 3.00pm but plenty else to see.

#7 southpaw

southpaw

sans vx for now

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

That looks great fun! Good luck thumbsup

#8 VXR

VXR

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

How did you get on? Always said I will go there one day?but only just seen this thread.

#9 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi, a good day. Won the class by a fair margin from Scoobys/Evos at 58.80 secs.... faster each practice, then on the first run on hot tarmac got within 0.6sec of the longstanding record held by a well-modified Evo, but several 'incidents' on the track made everyone's second run rather late and clouds had come over cooling the track, I was sliding about a bit more and fractionally slower. Still, no-one has got that close before. One Loton Park event left on 9th Sept, which might work if it's sunny. If not, I might fit properly soft tyres next year like the rest of the class. Also met Mike Turpin there, who took the modified production class record in June in his ex-autocross lightweight supercharged VX, that he says is now making 380bhp on race fuel! I'm off to meet him soon in Hereford to swap notes. :happy:

#10 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Superb! Well done!!! Sounds like you had a great day Imnotworthy

#11 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Very well done!! I may well have come along had I not had plans.

#12 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Congrats, would of come but was at Bruntingthorpe instead :)

#13 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Well done...sounds like a good day :)

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

Also met Mike Turpin there, who took the modified production class record in June in his ex-autocross lightweight supercharged VX, that he says is now making 380bhp on race fuel!

Well, the commentators certainly sound impressed with his car and the two wheel antics. :o

#15 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Cheers guys. Must try harder though, the start on that quickest overall run wasn't my best with a fraction too much wheelspin rather than j..u..s..t.... spinning, a few corners where it wasn't sliding so will go in quicker, and more speed up to and over the scary brow on the wickedly cambered and twisty 'straight'. Now I know I'm close enough to really go for it, I'll also transfer the VideoVbox in Sept from the TVR that I've run on a few events this year, as it gives very precise datalog info on each run to spot improvements, as well as the video itself which can be amusing. Here's one of the other car sprinting at Curborough in July if anyone's interested. Techieboy - yes Mike's VX is highly entertaining as well as quick. He's pretty innovative in his approach, as you'd imagine from his earlier idea to buy a VX for rally-crossing! Maybe I can persuade him to join us on here. He runs very soft suspension which he likes from his rallycross days - inc. 250lb front springs - and agreed that it dives under braking rather a lot. He's wanting to get some aero sorted out so was looking at my short diffuser etc.... an area I've learned a bit about from an aerodynamicist friend and will apply the underbody part to my own VX now. Unlike his class in roadgoing I can't have anything 'that changes the silhouette profile'. No big gay wing here then :rolleyes:

Edited by Tail slide, 13 August 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#16 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Beer, Diving, not necessarily in that order....

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Congratulations, Im disappointed I couldnt make it in the end either, will have to pop up there soon, the 9th Sept could be good!

#17 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Haha... Im glad that if nothing else in my time on here i have at least brought over the term BGW.

#18 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Haha... Im glad that if nothing else in my time on here i have at least brought over the term BGW.

chinky chinky

#19 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Posted Image

Testing the outer limits of the rather narrow track in Loton Deer Park. Wildlife thankfully kept their distance!

#20 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Have you considered a front splitter?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Loton Park, Hillclimbing, VX220 Supercharged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users