• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:11 AM

Had a great day at on the GT circuit yesterday. Lots of interesting cars... the usual 911s, a couple of GT3RS, GT3s, a Turbo and some nice Elises and Exige S1 and S2. The circuit is very long, about the same as Hockenheim, but because the terrain is so flat/featureless, it took a long term to learn. It took me till my final session in the afternoon to feel like I was driving my car anywhere near the limits. Thanks to Foxy for the passenger laps. Piper back box and Viper induction sounded awesome. I'd forgotten how much fun it was hussling the NA round a track, with the revs hardly dropping below 5000rpm. Awesome drive mate, very impressed thumbsup I went out straight after to try the same lines, and promptly disappeared into the scenery half way round the first lap. I tried taking a double left hander flat in third, but forgot that i) third gear is higher than the NA and ii) I was carrying more speed from the previous bend. How many circuits can you go 50 yards off line onto the grass, bounce through a field, keep your foot planted and rejoin the track 2 bends later? The Exige that was following didn't get by, so I couldn't have lost too much time :D Mags' supercharged car goes very, very well. Nailing my car down the straight up to 130mph, and I pulled less than a car length on him. Standard turbos wouldn't stand a chance! I can see him having great fun baiting Elises and Exiges on track days. But... but... but it's only and NA??? :D The straight was long enough to get a good comparison with some lovely cars (not Hockenheim Parabolica long, but up to 130mph at the braking point). The GT3s dropped me by a car length only, a 993 Carrera2 (must have been modified, it pulled better than a GT3!) mananged to keep in front on the first part of the straight, but I nailed it through the chicane and cruised past on the next short straight :P A big, heavy Maserati 4200GT(?) showed me a clean pair of heels down the straight, but it was like a barge around the corners. In the last session I caught up with a 911 Turbo on bank corner (the one before the main straight). I was really looking forward to him planting it down the straight and seeing if I could keep up, but he pulled to the right and indicated to let me through :( The Top Cat race team were there with a race prepared Tuscan and 993. There was nothing in it between mine and either of those down the straight. Their slicks and race suspension helped on the faster bends, but the difference wasn't dramatic. One of Mags friends in a 993 sprung an oil leak on the last straight. First I knew about it was when I braked, the pedal went long, my car wasn't slowing down the way it did the previous lap, and it veered sharp left (the offide tyres were on oil, the nearside on dry tarmac). I managed to back off the pedal and tip toe around the outside of the bend, but the ABS helped keep it straight for the first second or so, while I reacted to what was happening... very slowly :rolleyes: Foxy was in the car, and didn't see the oil... must have thought my driving was awful :D My car wasn't behaving very well in the morning. Missing and hesitating under full power on the main straight, and eventually losing power completely for a second. I backed off for a lap and it was fine again, so it looks like another AMM has gone. Exactly the same as happened at Knockhill last month. Dry track, standard induction system, so no idea what is going on!! It didn't spoil the day though, and it ran fine in the afternoon sessions, even up against the VXS ;) All in all, a great day. And good fun linking up the corners from the 3 short circuits I've already done at Bedford. But since some were taken in the opposite direction, that was probably more a hindrance than help. PS And the credit card co. had blocked my card when I tried to fill up in Lancashire on the way home. 5 tanks of fuel in 15 hours!!! :rolleyes: Must have thought it was stolen and someone was having a rare old time. At least their fraud prevention systems are active though.

Edited by garyk220, 18 July 2004 - 08:31 AM.

#2 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:48 AM

And available for £150 on August BH. 43 places left today, probably time I threw my hat in the ring. RMA are a top qual organisation, I paid £50 to join at the beginning of the year and havn't been on a single day yet! I have received an invitation to their 'RMA 3000' event, faux rally across Europe taking in Hungaroring, Pannonia Ring, Brno and Most. A snip at £3,750.

#3 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:13 AM

Great write-up Gary!

It was a top day and the organisation was like clockwork. Agreed with Andrew though - Seloc days are as good, and MUCH cheaper - and passengers are free; RMA want £25 - a p*ss take if you ask me. I'm booked on the 30th August too.

I managed to back off the pedal and tip toe around the outside of the bend, but the ABS helped keep it straight for the first second or so, while I reacted to what was happening... very slowly  Foxy was in the car, and didn't see the oil... must have thought my driving was awful 

On the contrary Gary - I did think you out braked youself though - and held it together with absolutely no drama Imnotworthy It wasn't 'til the next lap that I realised there was oil on the track - it was like a river of the stuff! I've gotta learn that heel'n'toe stuff, but you make it look so easy rallly

Scared stiff were there with their S1 Exige - it was FAST - and was almost totally flat round the corners. There was no way I could stay with him :o ;)

Attached Images

• Bedford4.JPG

Edited by Foxy, 18 July 2004 - 10:24 AM.

#4 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:14 AM

...another of the SS Exige: opps :beat:

Edited by Foxy, 18 July 2004 - 10:15 AM.

#5 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:15 AM

...try again...

Attached Images

• Bedford5.JPG

#6 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

...eat my smoke Mr Boxster S... :D

Attached Images

• Bedford6.JPG

#7 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:18 AM

Tuscan and GT3 about to get the Foxy treatment B)

Attached Images

• Bedford3.JPG

#8 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:19 AM

Quite liked the moody look of this one...

Attached Images

• Bedford2.JPG

#9 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

One of Gary...

Attached Images

• Bedford9.JPG

#10 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:29 PM

thumbsup guys I'd love to book up for the SELOC day august bank holiday, but i doubt the VXR will be here, let alone run in.... :(

#11 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:14 PM

Tuscan and GT3 about to get the Foxy treatment B)

D'oh! Someone tell Foxy it's a Tamora :beat:

#12 mags993tt

mags993tt

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:49 PM

Great write up Gary and really good to finally meet up. Sorry I didn't have more time to take you and Foxy out having to continuously take out all my colleagues including the poor bloke with the oil bursting 964 RS - what a great laugh we had messing about though :D thumbsup . Well done to Foxy for managing to avoid me despite all those weird angles I was at :lol: When I hit the oil that was conveniently dumped at the initial braking point off the second longest straight I honestly thought I had ripped the tyre off the rim with the violent lunge to the left and no braking ability. I did the same tippy toes round the outside with handfuls of opposite lock and of course managed to honk a couple of times - the funny thing is that the red Tamora was spun in the middle of the track and judging from some of his hand gestures I guess he thought I was honking at him :lol: :lol: My, at the time, female passenger thought I was just clowning around and didn't realise we had almost all died... :rolleyes: First time I had been on a track with other makes of car since the supercharger and I was really very happy - easily (and surprisingly to me at least) able to outdrag M3's down the straights without a problem. The handful of Elises and Exiges that were there and received similar treatment were not happy bunnys - very amusing. In a bid to keep up after being overtaken on the long straight a couple went off in the fast left, right at the end giving me some spectacular rear view mirror action ;) :D The scared stiff Exige was another matter though... :rolleyes: Really liked your seats Gary - goes some way to explaining how you could drive down from Scotland, have an eight hour track day then drive back the same day- you are da man! B)

#13 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

When I hit the oil that was conveniently dumped at the initial braking point off the second longest straight I honestly thought I had ripped the tyre off the rim with the violent lunge to the left and no braking ability. I did the same tippy toes round the outside with handfuls of opposite lock and of course managed to honk a couple of times - the funny thing is that the red Tamora was spun in the middle of the track and judging from some of his hand gestures I guess he thought I was honking at him  :lol:  :lol: My, at the time, female passenger thought I was just clowning around and didn't realise we had almost all died... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: thumbsup

Sorry Mags, Julie didn't manage any decent pic's of you. See exhibit 1:

Attached Images

• Bedford11.JPG

#14 mags993tt

mags993tt

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:29 PM

Cheers Foxy - that's better than any of my mates managed! Wish I'd re-installed the video - we would have had some great footage. In some it would have appeared that we were driving in opposite directions round the track! :D

#15 Turbo Head

Turbo Head

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

My car wasn't behaving very well in the morning. Missing and hesitating under full power on the main straight, and eventually losing power completely for a second. I backed off for a lap and it was fine again, so it looks like another AMM has gone.

Gary
I had this at Brunters for one session only, I think if you hit the rev limit too often the ECU, shuts things down for a moment, or it could temporary fuel starvation. It ran okay the rest of the day and I have done 1000 miles since and had a service AMM is fine.

#16 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

Do you want me to email the originals Mags/Gary?

Edit to say I won't be offended if you say no :)

Edited by Foxy, 18 July 2004 - 07:42 PM.

#17 mags993tt

mags993tt

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:15 PM

Edit to say I won't be offended if you say no :)

LOL. yes please. thumbsup

#18 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:56 PM

You have mail :) Don't get too excited ;)

#19 andym172

andym172

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything and everything...<br>Get bored too easily so don't have a specific 'interest'.

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:09 PM

Scared stiff were there with their S1 Exige - it was FAST - and was almost totally flat round the corners. There was no way I could stay with him :o ;)

Scared Stiff's Exige is running £6k's worth of suspension, so don't feel too downhearted! ;)

#20 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:36 AM

Do you want me to email the originals Mags/Gary?

Yes please thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users