wheels rims winter tyres

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

I fully understand the reason for having narrower tyres. However, my question was about wheel diameter as the OP was speculating about buying 15" wheel/tyres. If the reason is purely to increase the range of available tyres that can fit, then can I understand adopting 15" or 16" wheels.

Edited by Nev, 17 November 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#22 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

I used to run 15/16 for autotesting, lowers the car without affecting the geometry and gave me slightly faster acceleration off the line.

#23 myhifi

myhifi

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well 2 main reasons : - snow tyres do exist in 16/17 combo (195/50 front and 225/45 rear)but are more expensive and will be very wide. As I will really hit snow I want a working solution not a floating boat. - the OEM, and therefore approved setup is with 15inch

#24 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have a set and they're currently on the car.

Diameter, I can only guess to increase the range of tyres available. There's only one company who makes the standard tyres never mind ones for for winter. Also, as has been pointed out to me, they look suspiciously like astra wheels. I guess a higher profile if more fitting given their intended use.

Width, the fronts are actually a little wider, the rears narrower. I've been told that for winter tyres the fronts and rears need to be much closer to each other in width.

Incidentally, they do look crap compared to my black ATS DTC's.

Posted Image

#25 myhifi

myhifi

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have a set and they're currently on the car.

Diameter, I can only guess to increase the range of tyres available. There's only one company who makes the standard tyres never mind ones for for winter. Also, as has been pointed out to me, they look suspiciously like astra wheels. I guess a higher profile if more fitting given their intended use.

Width, the fronts are actually a little wider, the rears narrower. I've been told that for winter tyres the fronts and rears need to be much closer to each other in width.

Incidentally, they do look crap compared to my black ATS DTC's.

Posted Image

Guess your not selling those? We are close (Lausanne) so it would have been great !

Do you happen to know the manufacturer of these OEM ? is there a marking of some sort ?

Thank you

#26 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Team Dynamics made the OEM I think.

#27 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Sorry, I'm not selling them. I wouldn't be able to use the car 5 months of the year if I did and I use it to commute! I don't know who made them - marty may well be right. The supplier was GM though (opel/vauxhall) as they are the official wheels. I also don't know about markings. I'm on holiday at the moment so can't nip down to the garage and check. If you can wait until the weekend I'll have a look then. I remember looking high and low for a set from anywhere until I was lucky enough to find these for a very reasonable sum. I don't think many, maybe not even any, were sold in the UK. I posted on the German Speedster forum (opel-speedster-club.de) that I wanted a set and then very soon after a set appeared on ebay.de. I don't think that was a coincidence. The seller had bought them with the car and then just didn't use it in winter as the heater's so crap. 6+ years later he sold them to me. Plenty of tread left on the tyres but after one season they were too old so I replaced them. There's a nice balance with them on but not much grip, hence me getting the ATS DTC's for summer.

#28 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I shall go and have a look at mine for any manufacturer markings.

#29 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Team Dynamics made the OEM I think.

Looks like a speedline to me. The way they are marked would also suggest they are a speedline.

#30 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

They do look like Speedline Turini

#31 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

I thought they were made by Ronal. Maybe getting confused with the V.A.G. world, as they make seem to make everything alloy wheel related for the German manufacturers.

#32 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

I fully understand the reason for having narrower tyres. However, my question was about wheel diameter as the OP was speculating about buying 15" wheel/tyres.

If the reason is purely to increase the range of available tyres that can fit, then can I understand adopting 15" or 16" wheels.

Not just that, generally the smaller diameter, the thinner the wheels are anyway, they almost come hand in hand. My summer 18's are something like 8.5J width, whereas my winter 16's are 7J wide.

#33 myhifi

myhifi

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Here is the result :

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pretty effective on snow too, it is a whole new car !!

#34 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

thumbsup

#35 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Vreds have a good reputation. Is that the rear 205, and if so what did you put on the front?

#36 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

however you need to do something about the yellowing armourfend behind the intake.

#37 myhifi

myhifi

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

however you need to do something about the yellowing armourfend behind the intake.

yeah my car is in a pretty dirty shape, but I kind of like sleepers. Nothing from the outside that makes it obvious that it is seriously tuned...

Vreds have a good reputation. Is that the rear 205, and if so what did you put on the front?

I went for the exact dimensions quoted on page 1. Perfect fit.

#38 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

What have you had done myhifi?

#39 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I went for the exact dimensions quoted on page 1. Perfect fit.

thumbsup

Please let us know how you get on with the vreds.

#40 myhifi

myhifi

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Please let us know how you get on with the vreds.

The Vreds are good, I have used them previously on a light car for a Monte Carlo Historic and were pleasing. The sidewall are supple enough for our small weight. The traction on snow is good and very directive even when sliding.

What have you had done myhifi?

The usual suspects : Hoffman's nitrons, toe links/brace bar, tarox brakes, supercharged stage 2,... it has been reliable and heavily on track since 45 000 km. bought it used in 2006 with 10 000 km on the clock.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheels, rims, winter, tyres

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users