central locking breaking oem factory retro retro fit tubby central locking

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hi all

I'm looking to retro-fit the factory central locking option to the tubby I'm buying from Mark. Anyone know of where I can lay my hands on the components?

Also, as a noob and rank amateur, this guide looks like it might be quite helpful but I can't see any of the linked photos. Any other guides I'm missing which do have something to follow?

Do the alarm units in the tubbies all have outputs for central locking which are essentially plug-n-play?

Thanks

Dunk

#2 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I think you'll need a central door locking mechanism motor and also the control unit. Not sure what else will be required. I might know of a couple of Vauxhall dealers who each have one of these parts (new). Let me know if you're interested. chinky chinky

#3 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Just found the parts list in the EPC.

http://www.speedster...stem/index.html

Its parts 22 and 23 on here that I might have access to.

Edited by Wolfstone, 02 December 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#4 Qazax

Qazax

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

I would be interested in pricing on this if you could find out Wolfstone?

#5 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hope you'll understand that its only fair to give Dunk first refusal as its his thread.

#6 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

PM sent to Dunk. I can get the control unit but the other dealer has sold the motor.

#7 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

I'd be interested in the control unit price Mr Wolf

#8 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

I'd like to give Dunk first refusal Ray. I've PM'd him. Qazax is then next in line. I'm nothing if not fair. :)

#9 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'd like to give Dunk first refusal Ray. I've PM'd him. Qazax is then next in line. I'm nothing if not fair. :)/>

And your fairness is something no one would ever doubt :D

#10 Qazax

Qazax

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hope you'll understand that its only fair to give Dunk first refusal as its his thread.

Yup, fair's fair. Also a rough idea of how long it would take to fit would be appreciated too. With all the work that is required on my car, I am 90% interested in just hearing how much it would be, and 10% likely to actually buy one, but if it is not too much and wouldn't take hours to fit then it will get serious consideration. Once I have some new shocks, and fixed whatever is up with the turbo that is...

#11 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have no idea how long it would take to fit to be honest. I'm simply a parts supplier. :lol:

#12 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Ken. Greatly appreciated. What a very fair-minded gentleman you are. It sounds perfect too. A few things up in the air ATM though, so I won't know if I even need it until some time on Friday. If everyone can bear with me until then, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, if there's a burning need elsewhere that can't wait, I don't want to hold anything or anyone up. I'll update ASAP. Thanks

#13 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

I don't know why the photos of gone, I have had couple of PM's regarding this lately, here is a link to the photos http://s812.beta.pho...Central Locking

I didn't get the module etc.. from Vauxhall too expensive, my kit cost £19.95 as I wanted two masters but actually no need for two masters on the vx and wouldn't do two masters if I was installing in again so this £14.95 kit will do the trick http://www.rclick.co...products_id=267

I have been running this CL kit now for 3 years with no problems, I have now also installed the turbo CL pins on the doors and a turbo CL switch on the steering column so all looks 100% standard. As a just incase thing (although never needed it) I did install a switch to cut the power to the CL module, this way if it did ever pay up I could disable it and go back to manual locking.

#14 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Did you consider Lotus power windows while you were there :)

#15 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

I don't know why the photos of gone, I have had couple of PM's regarding this lately, here is a link to the photos http://s812.beta.pho...Central Locking

I didn't get the module etc.. from Vauxhall too expensive, my kit cost £19.95 as I wanted two masters but actually no need for two masters on the vx and wouldn't do two masters if I was installing in again so this £14.95 kit will do the trick http://www.rclick.co...#38;products_id=267

I have been running this CL kit now for 3 years with no problems, I have now also installed the turbo CL pins on the doors and a turbo CL switch on the steering column so all looks 100% standard. As a just incase thing (although never needed it) I did install a switch to cut the power to the CL module, this way if it did ever pay up I could disable it and go back to manual locking.

Thanks! :)

#16 chappers2000

chappers2000

• PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Sports cars; kit cars, mountain biking

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

I didn't get the module etc.. from Vauxhall too expensive, my kit cost £19.95 as I wanted two masters but actually no need for two masters on the vx and wouldn't do two masters if I was installing in again so this £14.95 kit will do the trick http://www.rclick.co...products_id=267

Thanks for sending the link to the pictures over recently. Just ordered the CL kit so will use the pics to help installation. Could you message me how you did the failsafe switch and where you mounted it, as that might be a good idea - just in case as you said.
Thanks

#17 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for sending the link to the pictures over recently. Just ordered the CL kit so will use the pics to help installation. Could you message me how you did the failsafe switch and where you mounted it, as that might be a good idea - just in case as you said.
Thanks

I mounted the switch on the metal beam under the dash (not sure what it is called) near the steering column, but you can mount it anywhere I just did it there so you can't see it and you just need to reach under to switch it. Basically just put the switch inline with the constant power feed to the CL module, so when you flick the switch all power is disconnect to the module.

#18 chappers2000

chappers2000

• PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Sports cars; kit cars, mountain biking

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Thanks Dan. I wasn't sure whether you mounted a switch outside of the passenger compartment so that if the central locking didn't work you could cut the power from outside and still use the key easily.

#19 d4nnyk

d4nnyk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thanks Dan. I wasn't sure whether you mounted a switch outside of the passenger compartment so that if the central locking didn't work you could cut the power from outside and still use the key easily.

Once CL is fitted and it use, using the key in the door has no effect, so if you have locked the car via CL then you can't unlock the car via the key in the door (this is the same as a Turbo with standard CL)

#20 Asheey

Asheey

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Women and Beer.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

As an idiots guide. How much roughly would it cost to retrofit? its never bothered me not having it befor but if its reasonable I may be tempted.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: central, locking, breaking, oem, factory, retro, retro fit, tubby, central locking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users