• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Phear

Phear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Right, as I have said before I am looking to start towing the VX to track days with my Campervan. I was working under the assumption that I would need to get a B+E license and so was looking to do my test next year, however having done some research I am now not sure that will be necessary and was looking for somebody to verify that is the case.

The .gov.uk website says:
  • a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)
  • a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)
Obviously the weight of a trailer + VX is more than 750kg so thats no good, however I think I can do it under the second one. The van has a Kerb Weight of 1905kg and a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3500Kg, so going by the above I can tow a trailer up-to 1595kg (1905 + 1595 = 3500kg). If I allow 900Kg for the VX, that means as long as the trailer itself doen't weight more than 695Kg I should be fine?

Anyone want to tell me I've misunderstood the rules and am totally wrong?

Phil

#2 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Completely wrong I'm afraid. "The van has a Kerb Weight of 1905kg and a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3500Kg" That 3500kg gross alone = MAM of 3500kg. Is nothing to do with actual weights, always done on gross (apart from trailer gross being less than unladen weight of tow vehicle)

#3 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

I always thought you could tow up to the maximum towing limit of the vehicle.that is the manufacturers spec if you dont exceed the manufactures tow limit surely your ok. I did a lot of towing of dive boats years back but got no where near the max limit sure it was very high ( off to check out of interest :lol) Oh it has to be a braked trailer over a certain weight can't remember what

#4 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Boombang is correct. It's the same with what the trailer is plated at also. The trailer could weigh only 500kgs but if its plated at 1500kgs (loaded) then even unloaded (500kgs) you will still be done for being over weight. So yes you will need to take your trailer test and then you can tow 3500kgs behind a 3500kg van. Test will involve a reverse twice the length of the combined vehicle and trailer, into a 2ft box. You'll be able to get out once and check. You will then do a 50min to an hour on the road drive. No clipping curbs or instant fail. The trailer will need to be inclosed (like a horse box) and you'll have to uncouple and do a walk round to show you know what you're doing. Depending how many days training you have your looking at anywhere between £750-1000 including test. Hope that helps.

#5 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

You can tow up to 8.25 tons combined weight on your old license taken before 1997 Edit thats after the re test

Edited by ghand, 08 December 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#6 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

You can tow up to 8.25 tons combined weight on your old license

As long as the the manufactures say you can.

Anyway, all your grandfather rights will be obsolete next September. New law is coming in that you need 36hours training to get a CPC certificate. This will then entitle you to continue using your grandfather rights.

If you are caught without this CPC you will loose all rights you once had till you do the trailer test.

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

[pats] his CPC[/pats]

#8 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

[pats] his CPC[/pats]

???

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

It's me patting my CPC and grandfather rights. :D

#10 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

It's me patting my CPC and grandfather rights. :D/>

Lol, your not a grandfather though. Unless joe really is your love child. :lol:

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm not even a father, that I know of (really hoping not anyway). :wacko:

#12 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm not even a father, that I know of (really hoping not anyway). :wacko:/>

Just think of the inheritance that bastard child would have. Enough vx parts to build 7 half built vx's ;)

Edited by ArticMonkey, 08 December 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#13 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

My will already states that the entire contents of my garage must be crushed, on my death. :D

#14 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

My will already states that the entire contents in my garage will crush me to death . :D/>

EFA :lol:

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

You may not be very far off the truth with that. It's getting rather silly in there now. :rolleyes:

#16 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

You need to hurry up and get the Saab engine working for me to copy (will free up some space). Vocky has told be I need this now along with an LSJ loom/ECU. ;)

#17 deano01

deano01

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:Playing with chainsaws and other power tools, Films, rallying, fishing, Vx

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Anyway, all your grandfather rights will be obsolete next September. New law is coming in that you need 36hours training to get a CPC certificate. This will then entitle you to continue using your grandfather rights.

If you are caught without this CPC you will loose all rights you once had till you do the trailer test.

Another money making scheme for someone. :rolleyes: Year after it will be tachos fitted to all vehicles with tow bars for business use. :angry:

#18 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Another money making scheme for someone. :rolleyes:/> Year after it will be tachos fitted to all vehicles with tow bars for business use. :angry:/>

From a business perspective I think it's a good idea. Will mean less competition for my company and people towing on the road will of had some training.

Nearly all my vans and trucks have tacho's in already. Once you go over 3500kgs you need to record everything if used for personal gain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users