Photo

Total Retrim - Does This Sound A Fair Price?

retrim leather interior carpet VX220na noise reduction seats dashboard door cards maximum value

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:All things fast and powered by petrol!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hi Guys,

Exterior & majority of mechanics on “Lincoln Green” now complete, inc.

• HID’s all round.
• LED plate lights.
• Partial carbon wrap.
• Exige spoiler.
• Larini exhaust.
• TAT diffuser.
• Re-map.
• Splitter
• De-cat.
• Air box mod.

Etc... Etc....

Now onto the interior (& further questions for VX.org).... Does £1200.00 (all in) sound fair for the following work?

• Upholster both seats, door cards, gearshift & handbrake gators (Andrew Muirhead black leather).
  • Re build foam work to seats – following customer spec (placing neoprene under drivers bolster & lumbar to prevent future wear).
  • Upholster dashboard, door pads, binnacle & steering wheel in same (Andrew Muirhead black leather).
  • Personalised embroidery to be stitched into seat headrests.
  • All stitching to be colour coded to match bodywork.

I’ve seen the guys work. It is pukka! He mainly does Lambo’s & Ferrari’s. HUGE attention to detail!

Now then.... Whilst I’ve enjoyed this project very much, I am fast approaching a £10k spend! Eeeek! If I ever resell (car is totally immaculate) I’d like to make my money back. What is the approx ceiling price for a concourse condition NA? Will prob have 50k on the clock by the time / if I resell & has had a nut & bold rebuild (mint) @ 38K.

Let me know your thoughts – Cheers – Ben.

#2 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Sometimes it is best to return to standard. Sell parts separately.

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Whilst I’ve enjoyed this project very much, I am fast approaching a £10k spend! Eeeek! If I ever resell (car is totally immaculate) I’d like to make my money back.

No chance. The moment you spend the money, you're effectively kissing it goodbye.

What is the approx ceiling price for a concourse condition NA?

£10k for a less than 10k mile.

FWIW, I had my seats fully recovered with two colours of leather (including bolsters etc), the door shoulder pads done in matching leather and the dash and binnacle covered in alcantara for £500, 6 years ago.

#4 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

FYI, I got a quote from Dave The Trimmer to cover the dash, speedo binnacle, retrim both seats in leather and the VX 220 logo on each chair and it would cost me approx £800. Got the quote last week.

Edited by Rickwoo118, 14 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#5 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Ok.... Kind of knew I was a massive overspend (no real surprises there - but it's not about financial returns, it's the satisfaction)..... General consensus (thus far) is that a £1200 retrim is a bit steep?... I will put out for other quotes (inc one to DTT)... keep the comments coming.... Cheers folks!... Ben.

#6 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

FWIW, I had my seats fully recovered with two colours of leather (including bolsters etc), the door shoulder pads done in matching leather and the dash and binnacle covered in alcantara for £500, 6 years ago.

Who did your re-trim mate?

#7 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

IMO get a quote from DTT. His work is outstanding and not too far from you. As for the return for all the mods etc on your car when you sell it you will never get much back. If it was concours, low mileage and standard then you may get a good price for it.

#8 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

A completely standard VX NA with absolutely 0 modifications in A1 condition (that means underneath as well as being shiny) with less than 20k miles may fetch £10k As soon as you make an irrevocable modification you can drop 1-1.5k from that. For all modificaions expect a return of 0, unless you sell them seperately in which case a retrun of 50% is good.

#9 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Who did your re-trim mate?

Frogman

#10 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

A completely standard VX NA with absolutely 0 modifications in A1 condition (that means underneath as well as being shiny) with less than 20k miles may fetch £10k

As soon as you make an irrevocable modification you can drop 1-1.5k from that.

For all modificaions expect a return of 0, unless you sell them seperately in which case a retrun of 50% is good.

Understood & factored. Also thanks fro Frogman tip (also on radar). B :-)

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Frogman

I wish. Too rich for me, on a car I was only keeping for 6 months, at the time.

Was a local car upholsterer here in Bedford called Tony Baldassare. A search on here should yield his contact details.

ETA: Linked to in this thread.

Edited by techieboy, 14 January 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#12 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

oops, was sure it was frogman. sorry

#13 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Ta folks. Ben :-0

#14 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

YoB recommended Mr Baldassare's work as well. Worth getting a quote and definitely see DtT.

#15 westie

westie

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Spending money on the car, Winding up the wife, Pickled onion monster munch, Terraforming.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

FYI, I got a quote from Dave The Trimmer to cover the dash, speedo binnacle, retrim both seats in leather and the VX 220 logo on each chair and it would cost me approx £800. Got the quote last week.

do you have to remove all this from the car or do you drop your car off and he takes the stuff out ?

#16 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

do you have to remove all this from the car or do you drop your car off and he takes the stuff out ?

I am sure he does it all for you. Just drop your car off.

#17 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Dave will do all the work.

#18 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

DtT came back with a comparative price & I know he will do a great job..... down side is DtT is +VAT.... my local fitter all in..... but will have a good think about it.... quality comes at a price!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: retrim, leather, interior, carpet, VX220na, noise reduction, seats, dashboard, door cards, maximum value

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users