Photo

Radar Detectors - Tom Tom & Snooper Combo - Anyone Tried It?

sat nav radar detector tom tom speed cameras snooper road angel origin b2 speeding fines jammer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:All things fast and powered by petrol!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Here’s my quandary, for “toe down” action (when safe):

• Origin B2 detector (http://www.pogo-gps..../origin_b2.php) = Exceptionally good but WAY too expensive.

• Road Angel (http://www.road-ange...gem_deluxe.asp) = Good all rounder (& fair price) but only adds mobile radar detection over the Tom Tom GPS static camera database (that I already have) + you have to pay a subscription fee.

• Snooper (http://shop.snooperd...ct1400186.html) = VERY comprehensive range of detection (& good price). Detects radar & laser. But needs to be hard wired. Subscription fee reasonable!

Now then.... Had anyone added the Snooper Laser Pod (http://shop.snooperd...uct1790186.html ) to their Tom Tom? Effectively making the Tom Tom an advanced Road Angel with no subscription fee?

Don’t want to go down the jammer route.... WAY too dodgy (can get prosecuted for operating a unit, even if under speed limit).

As always.... Thanks in advance for opinions & input. Ben.

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I've had laser detectors with both of my last two camera warning devices (Pogo Alert+ and RoadPilot Micro) and have never bothered even plugging them in. Don't waste your money on a laser detector, you'll already have been caught by the time it tells you anything and learning to rely on it is just asking for trouble.

#3 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hmmm.... I'm in a rural area... missus just got busted (van hidden in the dark).... 30 MPH on a deserted B road, please!!!.... On reflection the Snooper Pod looks crap (just a 150 m warning)... snooper 3Zero looking much more like it.... 1 mile straight line warning, plus does radar & lazer!.... Wonder if it would work purely as a mobile trap detector, using Tom Tom for fixed cameras... would save a bomb on subscription fees.

#4 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have a pro rx 65 and its great, does not do GPS upgrades but works excellent for detection.

#5 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

My Dad uses the Road Angel. He has 6 points.

#6 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Tomtom or similar with the PGPSW database subscribed to & weekly updated is about the best you can get :) They do a 'cameralert' iphone app as well with the database on

#7 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I did use an Origin B2, still have one in our CR-V; I was never that impressed with it to be honest. In my Puma I had a laser jammer thing hard wired to the front grill and a laser detector by the rear view mirror. I think it went off once in the course of around 20,000 miles, at a time when there was nothing I could see that should have set it off. The fact that I didn't bother renewing the one subscription and won't renew the other when it expires probably tells you enough.

#8 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

PGPSW?

#9 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

FYI I got an EMail from Pogo at the end of October informing me that the Pogo and Origin brands have been sold to Road Angel.

#10 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

PGPSW?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

thumbsup

#11 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Ta. Just clicked on there and saw the story about the guy in the Porsche, I know that road very well, pleased it wasn't me!

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

They do a 'cameralert' iphone app as well with the database on

And an Android version. Battery killers though.

#13 ratboiler

ratboiler

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I heard that Pogo were the quickest to update the camera location information, and that tom tom lagged behind in the update information side of things as they were more interested in maps.

#14 kmidderigh

kmidderigh

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I've got a version of the Snooper without GPS (so no fees) fits fine in the VX and seems to work well - detection is pretty good on rader but havent had any lazer experiances to report on yet. Not planning on relying on it at all its just another sense to add to my existing ones ;)

#15 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Make sure you remove any of these devices if you drive in france. They do not take kindly to them.

#16 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Taking it all in & considering options.... keep em coming!.... cheers - Ben.

#17 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Fit a "garage door opener" in your front grill (and make sure you have an electric garage door, just in case) or just don't bother when it comes to laser. It takes a millisecond for them to ping you and even Vettel hasn't got the reflexes to deal with that. If the car in front of you doesn't get "lased" then a laser detector will never pick up any scatter (and I have my doubts that it'll do that in real world use) from the police laser, as it's too directional and too focussed (the beam is something silly like the size of a 50p at 1km). Unlike stupid radar that floats about everywhere.

For the most comprehensive and frequently updated database, the PGPSW database wins hands down. So get a device that uses that - i.e. smart phone or satnav that supports user loadable points of interest. But, if you enable all the warnings for possible mobile sites, it can get a bit wearing due to all of the false alarms but you still need to be aware.

TomTom's built-in speed camera POI's always used to be worthless but I think they're now buying in data from an external company, so it's improving.

The Origin database always used to be the best of the others. Hopefully Road Angel's ownership won't spoil that although with them buying everybody else up, it limits choice a little but, they did insist they were still going to employ humans to verify sites (which is good). The one good thing that will come from the acquisitions is that "live" GSM/3G and GPS alert systems should improve. Until now, they've been pretty much useless by relying on a limited number of users to report actual live laser/mobile sites. Now there's the users of the formerly three major players (soon to be) contributing to one database, that will hopefully mean a lot more people reporting where the mobile cameras are. Hopefully.

I generally use a Pogo Alert+ (and if I'm in the VX somewhere strange, quite often the TomTom and PGPSW POI's as well) as it was the smallest and most unobtrusive standalone one I could find (and comes with the pointless laser detector as well) which is configurable to alert you to the mobile sites but none of them absolve you from using your eyes and being aware, as none of them will warn you about the traffic car sat on the entry slip road, etc.

Posted Image

And with the laser detector added to the screen mount (a long way from the number plate they target with the laser)

Posted Image

#18 Benzola

Benzola

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Wow! An interesting read. Ta tech. B:-)

#19 woozee

woozee

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have an RS6 in at work with a Valentine One fitted, anyone heard of this device? Had a quick read on their website….sounds expensive but what do I know, never had one of these gadgets but am now considering since owning a vxt.

http://www.valentine1.com/

#20 mark moyz

mark moyz

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Redundancy demotions pay cuts 0 hours contracts employment shaftings

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

i bought a Snooper Radar and Laser detector years ago, picks up Gatso radar cameras but never seemed to detect lasers, also it used to go bonkers when driving past shop doorways as it picked up the radar from the electric doors, it didnt stop me getting pulled over by the patrol cars, having this device changed the way i drove and i put to much trust in it really ! now i dont even use it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sat nav, radar detector, tom tom, speed cameras, snooper, road angel, origin b2, speeding, fines, jammer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users