25 replies to this topic

#1 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm planning on getting my motorbike licence ( poof) this year and also want to get the most out of my 5 days of track day insurance from CCI. To try and minimise the amount of junk I've got lying around I was hoping to get a single helmet which can fulfill both duties. Does anyone know if that's possible and if it is, would you recommend it or should I get separate helmets for the two things? I have searched (honest) but gave up after finding nothing really useful.

#2 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I use my bike helmet and have never had any issue on track. If you're looking into racing then it might need some looking into.

#3 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I wear an Arai GP5 on my bike!

#4 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

I use my bike helmet. If its safe enough to protect my bonce after flying through the air it must be OK to bounce off the roll cage or screen

#5 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Me and Lizzie bought motor cycle lids for our track outings... I assume its fine

#6 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

As above. It should be fine as long as its not a motocross helmet.

#7 yaaan

yaaan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

I use my bike helmet for track days with no problems so far. As I understand it, the main difference between the two is that bike helmets are designed to take one significant impact as you land whereas car helmets are designed for taking multiple impacts as you flop around inside your rolling car. Hopefully that's unlikely to be an issue in track days so bike helmets should be fine. I'm certainly happy using mine! Also there tends to be wider visor apertures on motorcycle helmets. The original Simpson Bandit helmets, although quite popular, were designed for motorsport use and weren't legal for bike use as their aperture was deemed too narrow.

#8 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

I use my bike helmet in the car too with no issues. Just be careful buying one if you're then going to use it for your bike. I had a £50 Syko (!) helmet for trackdays that i assumed fitted me fine but there's a HUGE difference in wearing it for 20 min track sessions and then wearing it on a bike run. I was in agony 2 hours into my CBT and had to go and get an Arai that afternoon. I had an Arai Viper for the first 3 years and changed to a Shoei XR1100 last summer. Shoei is actually a bit better, with a much nicer visor mechanism and it fits me a bit better i think. AGVs cause me almost immediate pain as do Shark helmets. It's amazing the difference in brand and it's all down to the shape of your head. Finally be aware that many of the high end makes have different internal pad sizes - so i've got and XL Shoei with wider cheek padding than normal. Get yourself to Hein Gericke or similar and spend a good hour or so trying on helmets - don't buy online until you know exactly what you need. HTH thumbsup

Edited by LazyDonkey, 01 February 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

I started off with a Takamichi bike helmet , but got a full race compliant with Snell 2010 last year. Comfort and correct fit is most important, I always wear a balaclava with mine as well to keep it fresh.

#10 Guest_Minno (Guest)

Guest_Minno (Guest)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Always used my bike helmet too with no problems. I know some people like to wear open face in the car to hear and talk to the passenger but I've never liked open face TBH.

#11 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

I wear an Arai sk6 which is the kart version of the gp6. It has the same shell, but no fire retardant lining.

#12 Sylph Hunter

Sylph Hunter

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Track days, bike helmets are fine. They are not fine for MSA racing as they are not fire retardant (the theory being that if your bike was on fire you would get off!).

#13 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Track days, bike helmets are fine.

They are not fine for MSA racing as they are not fire retardant (the theory being that if your bike was on fire you would get off!).

Exits are here, here, here, here, here, and here :lol:

I have only done two track days, bike helmet here, it has never been checked though.

#14 Bobby

Bobby

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

The helmet is all well and good for some protection but don't forget the long sleeves! Critical that!

#15 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Cheers guys. I had thought about ordering online but I have seen it mentioned strongly before that fit and comfort are seriously important so I'll go and try some on instead. Thanks for the advice from all :) .

#16 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just got an email from HG - £20 gift voucher when you buy any helmet. Also as it's off season im sure you could get a good deal if there is one local to you. http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/

#17 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Question: Why do bike helmets come with loads of stupid patterns/stickers/paint/whatever on and car helmets are (mostly) plain? :unsure:

#18 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Always used my bike helmet too with no problems. I know some people like to wear open face in the car to hear and talk to the passenger but I've never liked open face TBH.

I hate full face helmets with a passion, claustrophobic, heavy, bulky, cant see, cant hear, cant think of anything worse to put on your head :lol: suppose its a must on a bike but open face helmets are not quite as bad, each to there own I suppose.Can you use open face to race ? I guess full face are to stop your chin damaging the road when you come off a bike,:lol: not needed as much in the car I would think

#19 yaaan

yaaan

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I hate full face helmets with a passion....

I'm completely the opposite. I wouldn't be without a full face helmet but then I guess insects in the face at motorway speeds are good teachers :lol:

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I hate full face helmets with a passion, claustrophobic, heavy, bulky, cant see, cant hear, cant think of anything worse to put on your head :lol:/> suppose its a must on a bike but open face helmets are not quite as bad, each to there own I suppose.Can you use open face to race ? I guess full face are to stop your chin damaging the road when you come off a bike,:lol:/> not needed as much in the car I would think

Quite a few TDO insists on full face with the roof off.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Motorbike, Track Day, Helmet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users