• Please log in to reply
4396 replies to this topic

#3961 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

That's interesting to know, if the excige is 205/255, with similar chassis and alot more testing than we could ever do. Maybe worth a shot. Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

#3962 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

Well little up date, I've had the rear clam off so thought I would put the 255 back on to get a closer look how close it is to the chassis

Posted Image

And it is close

Here is the 225

Posted Image

#3963 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Took the sock off
And lifted the wishbone and the tire hit before the wishbone bottomed out

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I have ordered a couple of spacers just incase

#3964 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

With spacers you will probably find it starts fouling the clam.

#3965 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

do what I think lee did and dremel back the support bar on the clam 

#3966 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

Will try without spacers first, as long as I dont go above 10mm I should be ok on the clam But until I test I won't know for sure Could always take shock of again and try using jack for clearance both sides but this dosent take in to account the tire moving It's only the middle of the tire which hit chassis I don't think I will have that much movement from the shocks/spring

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 15 February 2018 - 05:02 PM.

#3967 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

When I went from a 195 front to a 205 I thought that was amazing hoping for the same on the rear time will tell
I did try a 235 RsR federal before moving to the Avon Zzr which was better slightly

What's happening with the rear of your car steve

Baby turbo Huracan

Posted Image

#3968 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

Don't forget that when you corner hard the bushes will deflect and the rubbing issue will likely become worse... :(

I get mild rubbage at times (seems to vary) and I have put a thick layer (approx 1mm) of masking tape on the chassis as a witness bearer (so I can monitor the issue). HTH.

Edited by Nev, 18 February 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#3969 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

I am hoping for no modification to the clam or no need to  use spacers, but will have to see, 

fired her up today after finding the reason for lack of power, ( the exhaust had a hole in it again where the first hanger ripped out a few years ago ) been plated and welded now so hopefully will last a life time, 

it also started up a lot easier ( which was nice) fuel trims are slightly out but will take her for a good run and see how it goes, 

just need to get the clam back on, adjust the handbrake cable for the bigger wheel, get a track day booked to test the new wheels oh and fit the new brake pads and change the brake fluid 

i wanted to do so much this year but work has been busy and family time along with car blues have left me not doing as much as i wanted, but maybe i will get more of this stuff done as the year goes on.

or there is always next winter. This year is primarily going to about doing the best i can in the sprint series. 

and on that subject we have had a few other vx220.org owners past and present entered in to the first round at snetterton on 1st of April (batman, cobrav8 (in my class) and 5oclock in a mx5 in a other class along with firthy) so should be a good gathering.

#3970 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

I've not been able to get these tires to rub on the road

#3971 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:15 AM

That’s good to know Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3972 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

It's lateral G that it going to make it rub and you are never going to be able to replicate that on the road.

#3973 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

Yeah I've put my name on the reserve list for oulton on the 21st of march and if I don't get on that the first time I actual get and Gs will be on the sprint day Feeling under prepared

#3974 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

If it's gonna rub anywhere it will be at cascades, maybe lodge too.

Edited by SteveA, 14 March 2018 - 01:54 PM.

#3975 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hi Chilli, I'm really interested how you get on at Oulton on 21st of you get on, I'm down at Donny on the 21st (in my old car). I went down to a local race car set up place yesterday to ask about putting slicks on, but he just recommended using cut slicks, to save all the faff, so I think I'll get a new set of TD rims from deemon tweeks and 888R 255 rear and 205 front. £600 for a set of tyres seems good. Then I'll use rain sports on my standard wheels. Please can you tell me the size off sets PCD and widths etc? Thanks Adam Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

#3976 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

Hi Chilli, I'm really interested how you get on at Oulton on 21st of you get on, I'm down at Donny on the 21st (in my old car). I went down to a local race car set up place yesterday to ask about putting slicks on, but he just recommended using cut slicks, to save all the faff, so I think I'll get a new set of TD rims from deemon tweeks and 888R 255 rear and 205 front. £600 for a set of tyres seems good. Then I'll use rain sports on my standard wheels. Please can you tell me the size off sets PCD and widths etc? Thanks Adam Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

X2 16x7 et20 5/110 with 65.1mm centre bore and X2 17x9 et30 5/110 with 65.1mm centre bore

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 14 March 2018 - 06:09 PM.

#3977 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

Thank you very much. Which compound of 888R do you recommend? Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

#3978 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

I've only used GG Think the R888Rs only come in GG If there Emarked

#3979 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

1. , ( fix some minor cracking which has appeared in the clam ) ✅ 2. change rad hoses ( been in garage for 3 years ) not been done 3.look at putting a splitter on the front. not done 4.New tires on new rims ✅ 5. rainsports on old wheels . Not done yet but bought 6. carbon fibre hardtop. Not done 7. look at removing some weight out of car. Not done actually I've added weight 8. remove splitter and straighten and re profile it. Half done   i do not think i will get it all done but see how it goes  Not got a lot of this done have I Lol Put new pads in today I've adjusted hand brake to accommodate the wheels The pads stil had quite a lot of beef left on them but if I get on the oulton trackday obnoxious the 21st I won't have time to work on the car after that so changed them anyway Will bleed the brakes early next week and see what happens

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 16 March 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#3980 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Well that went rather well today, I did have to make some mods on the clam side to get the wheels to work and looks like I will have to remove the inside lip of the clam but not a major issue Today wasent about lap time but think I managed a 1:55 flat which is a lot quicker than last time I was there (. Around 2 secs quicker ) Will have to fast forward the first 1:25 seconds while a was waiting for the McLaren 650S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users