Ards Test

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 luckman

luckman

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Well I have finally signed up for my ARDS Test. Does anybody on here have recent experience of sitting the test? Can you tell me things to look out for, what to expect, what the written test consists of, all that kind of thing? Any helpful advice would be much appreciated!

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

alim and duncan f did theirs a few days ago

#3 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Well I have finally signed up for my ARDS Test. Does anybody on here have recent experience of sitting the test? Can you tell me things to look out for, what to expect, what the written test consists of, all that kind of thing? Any helpful advice would be much appreciated!

Doing yours at Combe?

#4 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

LEARN THE FLAGS

#5 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's really easy they hold your hand through it not looking to fAil you. I got told off for driving too slow!

#6 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

5oclock has done his about two weeks ago at Brands.

#7 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts
  • Interests:playing cars and general mischief.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

You have to get all flags, and 6 questions about safety 100% correct. Then there are an additional 8 questions, and you are allowed 2 wrong answers from those. The answers are multiple guess, common sense always go for the safest option. It is all in the video, which they'll make you watch again before you sit the test.

#8 Wreelybro

Wreelybro

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Racing WRC/F1/Miglia/Time Attack/MotoGp etc...
    360 Gaming 10-Pin Bowling.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Did mine at Silverstone - Yes learn the flags! The Test isn't that hard but you will usually get a Second chance if you fail on something stupid. As said by tharriso they are not looking for you to fail it's not in there interest to do so.

#9 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

How long does your license last? How much is it?

#10 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

License is annual, cost depends on class. If you let it lapse and do not renew within 2 years (IIRC) then you need to resit the ARDS. It really is not that hard to pass, but can see how a silly mistake could make you fail. I sat the practical part in a sizeable thunderstorm with lots of standing water, dropped it down to 8/10ths and passed with flying colours.

#11 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

£70 for an ARDS Pack, not absolutely necessary, just has all the video, blue book and application form in. All available online though. £250 for the test £100 for a medical :sick: £58 for the licence application Just had confirmation they've received my licence application :)

#12 Duncan_F

Duncan_F

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

For the practical you get driven round by the examiner for a few laps and they tell you about turn in points and apex clipping points, that sort of thing. Then you swap over and do a few laps with the examiner still chatting to you advising you about stuff. Then he goes quiet for a few laps and judges you on those laps. If you've done track days before you should find it quite easy. Like others have said though, make sure you know ALL the flags, you have to get 100% in that section of the written test.

#13 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

The best value for money way I found to do the ARDS test was through the Vauxhall Power Events under their performance school. It was the same cost as an ARDS elsewhere but came with a half day tuition, a prepped Corsa VXR, all fuel, tyres etc, plus brekkie and lunch. Normally this time of year it gets put up and Performance School sells out really quickly. http://www.vxrpowerevents.co.uk/

#14 luckman

luckman

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Doing yours at Combe?

Yes, I have signed up to do it at Castle Combe as its local and I have done a couple of Sprints there. Did you do yours at Combe? Is there anything to watch out for?

#15 kg55

kg55

• PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:NFL 49ers fan since the eighties!!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Doing yours at Combe?

Yes, I have signed up to do it at Castle Combe as its local and I have done a couple of Sprints there. Did you do yours at Combe? Is there anything to watch out for?

Yep watch out for the 2 big bumps on the way into folley and whatever you do DO NOT SPIN as you will fail

#16 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Doing yours at Combe?

Yes, don't crash at Quarry!

#17 luckman

luckman

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It would be interesting to know if all the race licence holders actually race their VXs and in which championships as it would be great to race fellow VXers for fun.

#18 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Cliffie, Darronwall, fiveoclock, KG55 race VX's Duncan, Alex and Myself, erm, don't. SAXO POWER!!!

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

tim morgan also raced vx220 in iirc euro saloons , = tmorganb

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Pretty sure depending on class you don't need to have passed ARDS , or hold a national race B licence for time attack as its not racing. Not sure but iirc its clubman and non-race national B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users