115 replies to this topic

#101 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

Has anyone got RC5+'s in AP 4 pots and found they rattle?

I had a terrible rattle from RC5+ pads in the 2 pots on my old VXT. Anti rattle buffers from elise parts fixed it, I can't see why they won't work in 4 pots.

#102 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

Well they dont. Lol Trying to work out best way to stop it happening, as otherwise car is quiet, until the next rattle begins

#103 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

I put one set of buffers under the pads and it reduced the rattle. I put another set above the pad at it fixed the problem permanently.

#104 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:08 PM

Not on the car you sold to me ot didnt! Lol Im just assuming that its the pads thats rattling, as cant find any other cause. Will be trying to address the issue this winter

#105 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

This was on my moonland turbo, I think it is an extremely common problem with VX's when you put track friendly pads on. They are a tiny bit smaller to allow for heat expansion hence the rattling. I knew it probably was the pads because it only happened after I fitted the new ones. I wasn't 100% convinced at first because I didn't get the problem with the RC5's that were previously fitted. Just to make sure I drove over the same bumps that were causing the rattle with the brakes partially applied, the rattle disappeared.

#106 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

Out of interest, does anyone use carbon ceramic discs?

#107 dynacord

dynacord

• 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Hi all (new to the forum)

I will be upgrading the front brakes on my 205 track car with a calipers which use the same brake pad as the VX220.

I've been using DS2500 on my stock calipers for the last season and been very happy, very little fade.

I will be putting DS1.11 with the new calipers, wondering if someone has tried them. Ferodo rate them very high.

#108 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

I have to say I'm loving the Carbon Lorraine RC5+ pads, they're very good on track, I would say I'm intermediate (I overtake as many as pass me on a track day) I brake very late and have not had fade yet, also the wear is absolutely amazing. I thought I'd have 1 track day left in them when I bought the car with the brakes already fitted and I've done 3 since and they've barely got any smaller.

This is what they look like now and giving how slow they're wearing I'm confident I'll get another 2 dry track days from them. I'm guessing a new set would give me 20 track days with good road tyres, I'll keep you updated.

Posted Image20170226_112254 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

Only thing I would say is they're not for the road, low temp modulation is difficult but possible with a delicate right foot and they rust badly which leaves marks on the disc which doesn't clear until you get them hot on a track day. They make all sorts of noises if they haven't seen a track in a couple of weeks or so. They like to be hot hot hot. There are reports of the older iterations having the friction compound separating from the backing plate but this hasn't happened to me or anyone lately. I believe it's because the compound is sintered metal and therefore has a higher than usual metal content and can suffer from rust issues like discs do when not driven regularly.

Ideally change back to cheap road pads and fit the CL5+ for track days, but that's work so I put up with the noise until one day I have a garage  :lol:

#109 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

they do wear quicker as they get thinner due to heat , plus the inner pad will wear much quicker (again less airflow cooling) , so take out the pin and have a look, the leading edge wears first.

when you can not see the vertical line in the middle of the pad material, then consider changing.

#110 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

I did check both sides and they looked the same. The vertical line is definitely gone. Does this matter? As long as there is friction material it will work?

#111 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

I wore my front pads down to about 1mm once and they still worked. Wouldn't do it again, but there were no problems.

#112 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

1.5mm is the MOT failure. Only issue of low pads I can think of is less material to heat up and therefore they get hotter.

#113 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

If you have a worn disc as well with an external lip, you can eventually get contact of the pad base with the lip. You will know by the noise it makes.

#114 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Those discs need a good clean (on replace with new given how cheap they are)

#115 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

On the contrary the discs have loads of life in them, barely any lip. They all rust after a storm, comes straight off after a short journey. Would you replace your tyres when they're only 10% worn because they're dirty?

#116 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

On the contrary the discs have loads of life in them, barely any lip. They all rust after a storm, comes straight off after a short journey. Would you replace your tyres when they're only 10% worn because they're dirty?

This is JG we're talking about :D Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users