• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Just e-mailed the below to Gaz. I've asked them a couple of questions but wondered what people on here think. Found a lot of threads about these failing which has knocked my confidence in them a bit but it seems they are cheap to get refurbished. So go cheap and refurb, or chuck in the bin and shell out for some GGP2's or nitrons? "Hi, I have a set of Gaz Gold Pro's on a VX220. I had a knocking from the rear when hitting potholes etc and after taking the wheel off the bottom half of one of the shock is visibly damp with fluid. I assume this means a seal has failed and it will need a recon? From memory they are around 3 years old, would you recommend the whole set are refurbed or is it likely a defect has caused this shock to fail and the others will be fine for a while yet? Happy to go with your suggestion here so can you let me know how much this will cost and where I need to send it/them. I'd like to avoid the cost of another geometry setup if possible so when they are refurbed is there anyway to leave the height adjusting rings as set? Or mark them in some way as you receive them so I can set them back to this? (The springs are not under tension if that makes any difference) Thanks in advance Chris"

Edited by Chris P Duck, 22 March 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#2 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Get the leaky one sorted and take a measurement so you can set the ring. Wont make any noticeable difference to the car.

#3 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just measure the spring collars on each shock and rebuild to that height when you get them back. 3 years old isn't too bad. How many miles on them?

#4 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

If you drive your car every day then Nitrons needs a refurb about every three years so that doesn't sound too bad. Gaz have great customer service and their rebuild costs are very good, half that of Nitron. I'm a Nitron fan and have Nitrons but I don't think there is any reason to knock Gaz with your experience. There's a recent Gaz rebuild thread and I was mightily impressed with the rebuild and the cost. Just whip all four off, send them back and it seems they do a quick turnaround. You'll be smiling and you might even get some parts from the ggp2.

Edited by dw1, 23 March 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#5 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Received this reply Chris, Send them all back & we will service them all at a cost of £23.50 each, it is better to get them all checked & serviced at the same time. Measure the current ride height of your car & note it as we will have to change the bodies on these dampers & convert them into the new spec where they run with the control knob at the base. All + carriage & vat I assume this means the bodies to GGP2's. do these mount the other way up? (Body below the spring) I thought the idea was they were (body above spring) to reduce the unstrung weight?

#6 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Chris, Bodies on twin tubes should ideally run at the bottom, it is the monotube such as Nitron, Quantum and Gaz Mono that can be mounted either way up. The old Gaz Gold Pro units in essence, mounted upside down which is why there were so many failures. These failure rates prompted a redesign which allowed the shock to mount the right way up and so far, touch wood, failure rates on the GGPII have been only the one unit since launch. Three years aint bad for an aftermarket damper to be honest when you consider other manufacturers specify an annual rebuild. I would pay Gaz the £££ and get back the new spec Gaz Gold Pro II, you will not be disappointed. Mike

#7 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Cheers Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users