help tyres

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 fluffyskg

fluffyskg

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I know there are a million tyre threads already. Sorry for adding to them. I have RE040s all round. Rears only have about 1-1.5k miles left in them. The fronts have plenty of wear left. I have done some research and would quite like to get some R1Rs to replace the rears. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get a set of R1Rs for the rear, when I'm running the Bridgestones on the front? Other than aesthetics of course, which I'm not overly concerned about. I'm afraid compounds and things goes way over my head, so I guess all I'm worried about is whether it will affect safety or driving experience at all. Thanks in advance...

#2 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Donot mix tyres

#3 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

You can if you want, if it was me I'd buy some rear Bridgestones....until they all knacker. That's just me though, I prefer my boots to match...as you know from the thread a couple of days ago, others mix it up.

#4 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

How do you drive? I.e. do you push it, or just tootle along?

#5 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'd stick to the 040s, especially as you say you don't really understand about tyres. The 040s work well. Do you track the car often?

#6 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Mixing tyres is okay as long as each axle has the same tyre. That being said, you're not really helping yourself by looking at different tyres. The expensive ones are the fronts, so swapping the rears doesn't help.

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I wouldn't be shoving R compound rear tyres on, with regular tyres up front.

#8 j0n

j0n

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • Interests:vx220
    Juggling

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

£107 on here fitted for 040s. Im booking some this week. http://www.event-tyr...rch-results.php

#9 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

I Don't Understand Tyres...

can certainly confirm that :D :P

#10 fluffyskg

fluffyskg

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Haha JG and thanks all. Am not the fastest driver and have never been on track. Sounds like I'm best off sticking with the 040s - on which thanks for the link j0n. Interesting how opinions vary between don't mix at all and it's fine as long as each axle has the same. The latter is a line even I know not to cross!

#11 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Keep in mind that front and rear tyres do very different jobs on every car. I wouldn't have an issue mixing tyres as long as you're fully aware of the implications. However here the price point is pretty much the same and I wouldn't see any gain in using R1Rs on just the rears.

#12 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

The latter is a line even I know not to cross!

thousands of vehicles have odd tyres across axles, its not the best admittedly, particularly on a vehicle which will get pushed but thousands do and its not considered a safety issue to do so.

Your car doesnt go on track and so fitting 'track tyres', 'r' tyres, what ever you want to call them on a vehicle which doesnt get pushed hard is at best wastefull and at worst dangerous.....why are people so intent on putting such things on cars which simply do not require it?

#13 Bobby

Bobby

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ive got different tyres on each corner of the shed (not my doing) and whilst not "unsafe" it does feel off. knowing how tail happy the vx can get id be very wary of what I do with tyres on it.

#14 fluffyskg

fluffyskg

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Your car doesnt go on track and so fitting 'track tyres', 'r' tyres, what ever you want to call them on a vehicle which doesnt get pushed hard is at best wastefull and at worst dangerous.....why are people so intent on putting such things on cars which simply do not require it?

Was under the impression - from various reviews online admittedly - that the R1Rs are much better in the wet than the Bridgestones (I do have to sometimes use my car for work so that is an issue for me). If they are only really of any use for fast driving / track then I obviously don't need them!!

#15 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Was under the impression - from various reviews online admittedly - that the R1Rs are much better in the wet than the Bridgestones (I do have to sometimes use my car for work so that is an issue for me). If they are only really of any use for fast driving / track then I obviously don't need them!!

Are you feeling that the Bridgestones are underperforming as a tyre? across their life not just recently as the tread is, presumably, now low.

Tyres are a compromise ALWAYS, so at the extreme end you need to asses what is the most important factor to you. The Bridgestone was a tyre designed specifically to go on the VX, it will have been designed as a tyre that will be a good all rounder. Every aspect can be bettered but ALWAYS at the cost of something else. the cost/availabilty/longevity/performance ratio of the Bridgestone lends itself well, imo, to a car that is used as an all rounder (bearing in mind the type of car it is)

#16 fluffyskg

fluffyskg

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

That's really helpful Anz, thanks. Tyres have only done 1,500 miles in my ownership so it wouldn't be fair to comment. Seems like I might have been over-thinking it by looking around; I should see how the car feels with fresh boots on first really.

#17 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Check the dot codes to see how old the fronts are out of interest...

#18 fluffyskg

fluffyskg

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Cheers Rob, just started thinking about that. I reckon they are old. What am I looking for?

#19 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

look around the tyre for a code preceeded by DOT, the last four numbers of that code show the manufacturing date in a week/year format, ie 4709 is the 47th week of 2009. As for old tyres,again, change them if you feel they are holding you back, otherwise there really is no need, despite what the internet may say

#20 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Was under the impression - from various reviews online admittedly - that the R1Rs are much better in the wet than the Bridgestones

No. The only tyres that R1R's are better than in the wet, is a cut-slick style R888 or A048 type tyre.

I don't doubt that fresh Bridgestones will be better than R1R's for 90% of the time you're on a road. Even the best tyres in the world don't break the laws of physics (and chemistry) and provide infinite grip in the wet though. That's down to you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, tyres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users