help tyres

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 fluffyskg

fluffyskg

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

The people on this forum are just amazing. Thanks again all.

#22 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

The subject has been done many times before as you know. The problem isn't quite as straightforward as different tyre front to back. You need to consider the characteristics of the (mixed) tyres cold and wet and then dry. I had mixed tyres front to back (once) - cold I had noticeable oversteer, hot it went into understeer. Neither are particularly pleasant, but going from one to the other mid route just doesn't make for a pleasant experience. And that situation is most likely far more pronounced on track - as peeps above have posted.

#23 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

because of the different axle sizes the only way to rule that out is alot of trial/error/luck or stick with the O.E. Bridgestones as those are the only tyres that were specifically designed to work with each other.

#24 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Might change the balance of the car a little but as a driver of one of these cars I would assume you would be able to handle that. I can never imagine using std tyres again though. Some of the alternatives require scrubbing in but are far better after a few hundred miles. Kind regards, Paul

#25 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

are far better after a few hundred miles.

Again I'd have to ask you to define better? Longevity? not likely, Cost? even less likely. I'll expect you are reffering predominently to grip but even thatll depend on numerous factors and if you arent findind the limits of the Bridgestones (you obviously were which is fine) why go for something that costs more, lasts fewer miles and potentially requires more work to keep the 'heat in' and therefore may even grip less at the times when you arent pushing the car.

I'm not for one second suggesting not fitting track/R rated etc etc tyres but they shouldnt be recommended off the bat which happens a hell of alot

#26 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Might change the balance of the car a little but as a driver of one of these cars I would assume you would be able to handle that. I can never imagine using std tyres again though. Some of the alternatives require scrubbing in but are far better after a few hundred miles.

Kind regards, Paul

Better at what Paul ?

Wet traction, dry traction, road work,track work,tram lining, cold weather, hot weather,snow,ice,wet braking, dry braking and whatever else springs to mind To be better at the lot than the standards must be a good tyre.What do you have ?

I liked the standard tyres and if they are not old and have good tread they do a good enough job for me, all conditions, good compromise.Maybe you explore the limits more than me :lol:

#27 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

CBA reading all the previous posts but I decided to replace rears with Kumho Ku31 a year or 2 ago (current equivalent is Ku39) and I didn't die in a horrific tyre-related crash. I found them to be basically equal in performance (slightly better if anything), half the price, and lasted 25% longer before needing replacement.

#28 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

IMHO the vast majority of people who change brands / compounds and are then amazed by the difference in grip, braking etc would be equally amazed at the difference brand new OEM bridgies would bring. The fronts go off way before you run out of tread. There are an awful lot of VXs running around on 6 year old plus fronts that have all the grip of a buttered puppy on lino.

Edited by LazyDonkey, 01 April 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#29 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

There are an awful lot of VXs running around on 6 year old plus fronts that have all the grip of a buttered puppy on lino.

Brilliant... I love thst phrase. Absolutey true

#30 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

I ran yoko ao48 semi slicks all year round for 6 years on mine. Come dry wet snow or sleet they did the job. The grip on a dry hot day was excellent bit even in the cold wet weather they were good. Decided two years ago to move over to budget khumo ku31 no compliants whatsoever. Rears lasted for 2 years and I just swapped the rears to ku39 which I will be scrubbing in today. In my opinion most tyres do the job on the road and I would not get too hung on the details. The bridgestones are a good all rounders.

#31 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

There are an awful lot of VXs running around on 6 year old plus fronts that have all the grip of a buttered puppy on lino.

:yeahthat: :lol:

#32 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Not doubt a result of proper scientific testing, rather than idle conjecture.. ;)

(no puppies were harmed during testing)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, tyres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users