Ecu/throttle Issues

ECU throttle

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 justsquiffy

justsquiffy

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:hockey, running, bit of football (spurs fan) and any other sports that involve chasing things.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi everyone, I've just bought my first VX, got a 2.2 N/A, had three days of fun with it before the throttle decided to stop working. Luckily I wasn't too far from home and the roads were clear so I limped it home. Cut a long story short, took it to a local garage and the guy cleaned all the wires etc and had no luck. I tried them again myself and still had no luck. I've taken it up to Vxl in Banbury and earlier they informed me it would cost over £1k for a new battery and ECU. Can't really afford to splash out that much seeing as I've just bought the car, and not really sure what to think of their pricing. Has anyone got any advice on where to get a cheap ECU? cheers

#2 badgerade

badgerade

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Are you sure it's the ECU? There's a lot of info on here around throttle issues - are you getting an EML? If you are, have the codes read and then search the codes on here. Also search for 'loom of doom'

#3 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Dont understand old boy. Why do you need a new battery and ecu? Please heed the advise.....vauxhall will rarely know anything about vx220. They will utterly butt fcuk you everyway. I am sure someone can recommend a better garage around your area mate that will help you diagnose this properly.

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Dont understand old boy. Why do you need a new battery and ecu?

Because that's what the dumbfuckski diagnostics computer suggests it absolutely positively has to be (ask Smiley :wacko: ). As suggested the "loom of doom" would be my first port of call. It's 99.98% certain that a new ECU isn't required, that's for sure.

#5 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Dont understand old boy. Why do you need a new battery and ecu?

Because that's what the dumbfuckski diagnostics computer suggests it absolutely positively has to be (ask Smiley :wacko:/> ). As suggested the "loom of doom" would be my first port of call. It's 99.98% certain that a new ECU isn't required, that's for sure.

Yeah I know but was intrigued as to what the reasons where for their retarded conclusion.

OP can you be more specific with what happened and exactly where you are

#6 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

With the loom of doom, it is very slightly possible to be the ecu pins corroded, but let's hope its not that for now.

#7 badgerade

badgerade

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

With the loom of doom, it is very slightly possible to be the ecu pins corroded, but let's hope its not that for now.

Because that leads to a conversation with Vocky.. and then the inevitable happens :D

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yeah I know but was intrigued as to what the reasons where for their retarded conclusion.

They can't give any reason as they're not real mechanics and not given the time to really diagnose the issue, that's the problem. The diagnostics procedure on the TECH2 tells them to try a couple of specific "fixes" or measure voltage or resistance on some connector pin or another and if that doesn't work, TECH2 says in that case it absolutely must be the ECU, fit and program a new one (at huge expense). :rolleyes:

#9 justsquiffy

justsquiffy

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:hockey, running, bit of football (spurs fan) and any other sports that involve chasing things.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

OK cheers, the battery hasn't been holding charge since I ran it dry limping home. I've had a good read of some of the issues and tried cleaning all the connections to no avail. I'm based just outside Milton Keynes (winslow if anyone knows it?)

#10 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

They can't give any reason as they're not real mechanics and not given the time to really diagnose the issue, that's the problem. The diagnostics procedure on the TECH2 tells them to try a couple of specific "fixes" or measure voltage or resistance on some connector pin or another and if that doesn't work, TECH2 says in that case it absolutely must be the ECU, fit and program a new one. :rolleyes:/>

You picking on me Peabody?

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

No. I'm telling you how they come to the retarded conclusion. You can even follow the TECH2 process in the documentation on the TIS dump site. It's just stupid.

#12 justsquiffy

justsquiffy

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

sorry bit more of background. I picked it up just over a week ago, drove it round fine for 3 days, took it out for a leisurely drive and the EML came on and the throttle stopped responding. Like I said, had it checked out by a local garage but he wasn't able to offer any solutions. Pedal seems to be sending signal, but it's getting lost after that.

#13 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

No. I'm telling you how they come to the retarded conclusion. You can even follow the TECH2 process in the documentation on the TIS dump site. It's just stupid.

I know love, I know. Vxl are bell ends.

#14 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

If all else fails and it's not the loom of doom try pming Vocky. He's like a one man A team. PS Get that code read....

Edited by rob999, 30 April 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

sorry bit more of background. I picked it up just over a week ago, drove it round fine for 3 days, took it out for a leisurely drive and the EML came on and the throttle stopped responding. Like I said, had it checked out by a local garage but he wasn't able to offer any solutions. Pedal seems to be sending signal, but it's getting lost after that.

So have you had a look at the wiring look connectors in/above the nearside rear wheel arch?

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Standard loom of doom.
Goto Vauxhall about this again and I will unleash sweary :lol:

Edited by slindborg, 30 April 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#17 badgerade

badgerade

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

try pming Vocky.

He will be able to help for sure. Just don't go near him with your wallet .. he'll empty the fcuker :D

#18 justsquiffy

justsquiffy

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

yeah had a go at those wires, took the wheel off just so I could get to them.

#19 justsquiffy

justsquiffy

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

try pming Vocky.

He will be able to help for sure. Just don't go near him with your wallet .. he'll empty the fcuker :D

cheers I'll drop him a message. He'd have to squeeze pretty hard to get anything out of my wallet at the moment!

#20 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

He has strong man hands

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ECU, throttle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users