Photo

Where To Get Some Sude Material To Retrim A Dash?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Ebay seems full of cack as usual lol any recommendations?

#2 MellowYellow

MellowYellow

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Sude.....or suede?? 

#3 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Either will do ;)

I've had a long day and a longer weekend so far!

#4 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

I've just bought some of this in black. Decided against using it on my dash but only down to personal preference, I'll find something to use it for in the future. It looks exactly like proper alcantara (I've held various sample bits against it myself) and for a fiver delivered is an absolute bargain. Came on a roll and there is easily enough to do every surface inside the VX.

Can't speak for the other colours on offer but the black is a nice quality. It's a real deep jet black and although quite a heavy weight backed material should be easily workable around all but the tightest of VX contours.

#5 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Ordered. Cheers for that.

#6 carlito

carlito

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

May as well have a crack myself, can't go wrong for that price i suppose

#7 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Just be aware that non-genuine Alcantara options may be limited in their resistance to UV fading, particularly on a dash. Alcantara is expensive for a reason ;) The blackout fabric is designed to have the suede facing into the room with the backing towards the light, so the UV resistance of the suede side when exposed to direct sunlight may be limited. Dependant on the quality it could possibly fade quite quickly. But then again it could be perfectly alright for years, just a bit of a lottery, with the genuine Alcantara you have the assurance that it will be ok.

#8 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yep that's true and a good point to bare in mind. I can't vouch for the long term stability of my recommendation above as it's only a recent purchase and I have not put it to use anywhere yet. That said this genuine Alcantara on my dash and console and the £4 a metre faux suede I used on my door surrounds are both as good as the day they where fitted around two years ago.  I figure since it's so hard to distinguish the difference between the real deal the risk of having to re-do the job say every couple of years is worth it when it'll cost you a tenth of the price.

Real -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheap stuff -

Posted Image

(not the roll bar)

Posted Image

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 29 June 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#9 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Agreed Dab, Alcantara is very expensive so can make sense to use something much cheaper, and as I say, some of the cheap stuff can be absolutely fine it's just you don't know. I did my dash with some grey non genuine Alcantara a couple of years ago, within four months it had turned a nasty greenish shade. Never got over it tbh :D

#10 drunknmunky

drunknmunky

• PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Surfing, generally anything you can hurt yourself doing!!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Is that a satnav you've built into the dash there? I like that idea a lot, looks real factory fit!!

#11 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

No it's an OBDII screen that displays temperatures, fault codes, performance figures etc. Could just as easilly make it with a satnav. There's loads more pics in my project thread if you wanted a look, search 'mod ladder'. I've scrapped that dash now though in favour of a new one I am currently in the process of building.

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 30 June 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#12 Bigt

Bigt

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

Massive thread resurrection, talking about the interior parts of a VX (dash, door cards, steering column) how many metres do you think it would take to do it all??

Had some quotes for re-trimming but considering giving this a go myself as people seem to have achieved some great results themselves.

Si

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users