Carbon Bootlid And Air Intakes For Turbo

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 thoughtless

thoughtless

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

A while ago I made myself a carbon bootlid and air intakes.

Bootlid: I used my original to make two moulds. One for the seen surface and one for the stiffening structure underneath. The result is a 100% replica of the original. The finished weight of mine is 1.2Kg versus the original at something like 7 kg. (dont remember the exact numbers but not far off)

Intakes. The outer shape is identical to the originals but I didnt fit the vanes in the internals. Currently I use mesh fitted in the place where the vanes went. I could potentially mould vanes in carbon also.

Pics are at. https://skydrive.liv...5D1B840C83!4436 . Pls bear in mind that the bootlid that you can see here is an unlaquered version and dirty so doesnt look that great but you get the picture.

The parts are vacuum bagged so overrun of resin is reduced very considerably. Not as good as an MP4 shell but better by miles than just hand layup.

The moulds should be good for a fair few more runs and I am just sending out a feeler to see if anyone is interested.

I can do different specs. i.e. a race spec would be just a layer of carbon and one of mixed carbon kevlar for ultimate lightweight and shatter resistance but this would be a bit flimsy for normal use. Mine is this spec.

For normal use I would go for 2 carbon and 1 mixed. Probably add a couple of hundred grams. I could also do a glass version if someone wanted that although the time is probably the bigger cost so wouldnt be a massive saving.

I would also have different grades as sometimes there are slight imperfections. i.e. the weave can move so the pattern isnt perfect. So there would be A grades for just laquering up as a carbon part where everything is perfect, B grade suitable for painting etc C grade would be rejects but might be good enough to patch and paint yourselves

Price; I would probably be looking in the region of 500 for an A grade in Carbon. 400 for b grade paintable for the bootlid. Intakes at about 75 quid each. If anyone is interested then I will sit down properly and do a calc to see what exact price I can come up with.

I have looked at second hand prices and also I noted that there is a guy in germany who did something similar. Not checked material prices for a while and would also need to run one again to see what time I need to put into it. Im not commercial, its just that I dont want to see the moulds sitting idle.

cheers

Neil

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Turbo only though?

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Interested , vanes would be nice , I need more clearance to the throttle body top hat, so vanes might be the answer and maybe better heat benefits.

See you are in Marlow, so a short trip out is in order.

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

The moulded vanes are only for the turdo ears, surely?

#5 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Now I read it again , you are right.

#6 thoughtless

thoughtless

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Im not sure of the difference exactly as not seen an na up close. From reading posts it looks like the only difference is the location of the ridge for the water seal and the location of the boot catch.

If the outer skin is identical then making an inner could be relatively quick but would need to see it.

Can you send me a pic of the internals of a na lid?

cheers

Neil

#7 thoughtless

thoughtless

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

sorry yes I was referring to the vanes in the ears. WRT vanes in the lid I will take a look at the mould and see what can be done. Is there a big cooling benefit?

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Im not sure of the difference exactly as not seen an na up close. From reading posts it looks like the only difference is the location of the ridge for the water seal and the location of the boot catch.

If the outer skin is identical then making an inner could be relatively quick but would need to see it.

Can you send me a pic of the internals of a na lid?

cheers

Neil

The vent holes are smaller and the inner is a different shape.  You'd be in for a new mould if you wanted an exact replica.

#9 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

nice hinged boot :)

#10 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Just a thought, there could be demand for a tubby boot upper (bigger vents) grafted onto an NA bottom half.  If it helps I have the mould for an NA lower rear section you could borrow.  Graft in an NA section and remould the lower part.  Any good?

#11 oggster

oggster

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive 😉

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

im interested...be nice to see the finnished article.

#12 Craigvx

Craigvx

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I really really like that spoiler! Boot looks really good too! Good work!

#13 thoughtless

thoughtless

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Will investigate the Turbo shape to fit the NA with vent or mesh options with FLD and report back

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

The hinge setup is different on the NA and the turbo as well.

#15 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Will investigate the Turbo shape to fit the NA with vent or mesh options with FLD and report back

If this can be done for around the £500 figure I would defiantly be interested. What would this come with and want else would need doing before its fitted? IE would it come with the catch, vents, captive nuts to screw the hinges into etc?

#16 thoughtless

thoughtless

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Chris p: Captive bolts aren't an issue. theres a locator in the mould and they are resin fixed after. I think provided a source of catches exists, not yet investigated, then the finished article could and at that sort of money should come complete ready to just bolt in place. Action on me then is to check technically feasible, fix design, sharpen up on costings and update post.

#17 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

how is the boot lid catch secured , I think its partly screwed in, maybe a captive backplate plus the spring. Is it a parts donor from something else? common to other Lotus stuff?

#18 thoughtless

thoughtless

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

On the turbo it's a back plate that just unscrews. 2mins max. Easily swappable. Just like the idea of units being finished but I suppose this could be excluded.

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

still interested in the carbon bootlid

#20 Scoot_VX

Scoot_VX

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Interested in the turbo ears if they stay at that sort of original price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users