• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Apex

Mr Apex

• PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Karting, climbing, skiing, boxing, cycling

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

OK, so I thought that it would be useful to share my VX experiences, so that others can benefit from my mistakes...

A bit of background - I used to own an absolutely mint Elise S1 Sport 135, which was brilliant. Downsides were that it was mint, so I was always worried about damaging it and it was fitted with a K series, so I always thought it was on the verge of turning into a kettle. There is much more fun to be had from improving a car than from trying to keep it mint. I decided to buy a slightly ratty VX, tidy it up and then supercharge it. On paper, that's a fairly cheap way to get to impressive performance and handling.

I bought a low mileage 03 NA that had been stored in a warehouse and was cosmetically tatty and in need of TLC. Checks say that it hasn't been written off at any stage and MOTs confirm mileage. I replaced shocks (Nitron Streets), wheels (TDs), rebuilt brakes and replaced engine mounts, all of which were worth doing.

I bought imported new SC, manifold, TB, support bracket, dual pass mod etc from a guy on this site and I researched all of the build guides. I then teamed up with a local garage owner, who runs a Radical in a race series and has a motorsport business on the side. We agreed to work on the project together. Plan of action was for the car to be dropped at a local paintshop for clam removal and primer, so that we could work on the naked car.So far so good. I ordered a new 2.5" Tullett and all the Pro Alloy kit, plus a new water radiator, which are all beautiful.

Here is where it started to go wrong. I was paying a guy, but he was doing the job on the side. Yes, the rates were low, but he really regarded it as something that he could do at weekends and in his spare time. As a result, it took forever. The car was in his workshop and I could only work on it when he was there, so I couldn't speed up the process. It took months to complete, but once done, we returned the car to the paint shop for respray and reassembly. Because the car had been gone so long, the paint shop hadn't planned it into their schedule, so there it sat for two more months.

I finally got the car back and it was great. Paintwork good, engine supercharged. However, it was idling badly and I posted a few questions about the tech issues on the forums. I had the car booked in at Courtenays for mapping, so, after discussing the issues with them, I kept the appointment. On the way to Courtenay, I got hit by an Italian driver, who swerved the wrong way when he heard me coming. Damage to the N/S sill. Up to Courtenay, with brand new paintwork taped up with gaffer tape. On investigation, they could see that the engine was running lean, so embarked on a process of looking for leaks, checking fuel pressure etc. No progress, so no mapping and, £350 later, I hit the motorway home. That was pretty much it for last summer.

Early this year (April) I dropped the car back at the paintshop for rear clam off, damage repair and delivery to local mechanic for further diagnostics and fit wide band Lambda. He focused on the idle as the primary issue, as had Courtenay. All tests showed everything OK. Time passed and we discussed other possible causes. It was suggested that the timing chain could have jumped a tooth, so I had the chain kits replaced. No change.

My friendly mechanic then presented me with a huge bill for diagnostics work. Apparently, because the build wasn't a standard service event, he didn't feel that it was appropriate to sort out issues with the installation under warranty. To a degree, I agree with him on this point and it is important for anyone jumping into this kind of venture. Once you start, you are on your own. Nobody will take any responsibility for the outcome. I received a big bill for diagnostics and received no diagnosis. I shipped the car to a reputable tuning company and they eventually diagnosed an issue with the TB as the cause of the idle issue. It is an unused item - brand new -but of course, there is no warranty on it. So, with my original TB fitted,I paid a second huge bill for diagnostics, picked the car up on a trailer and took it back to the paint shop.

Note that the car is still running lean - so why was that? Well, the kit that I bought included a 3.1" pulley. I had told Courtenay about it, but that was overlooked, due to the distraction caused by the poor idle. The pulley size will be fine - I will just have a restricted rev limit to avoid engine damage by going over 250bhp, but will benefit from more torque at lower engine speeds. All good.  

When I delivered the car back to the paint shop, I also booked it back in with Courtenay for mapping. There is a 3-4 week lead time, so I figured that it was best to get the date in the diary. The repairs to the bodywork are being carried out at my cost. Why? Because if I had claimed on insurance (mine or the other driver's - it doesn't matter), the car would have been written off. There is another real lesson here for people who drive VXs. Most repairs are non viable, so although you pay for fully comp, you actually get third party only. And even if the accident is the other guy's fault, you will still lose your car, along with all the expensive pretty stuff that you have fitted to it.

Once again, because the car had disappeared from the paint shop for so long, they weren't able to fit it in for respray and reassembly. Six weeks on, it is still there and the date with Courtenay is long gone. Next appointment is in mid September.

One thing that has genuinely annoyed me through all of this is that the paint shop and my local mechanic have dealt with me as though they were doing me a favour. Lousy comms, calls not returned, brusque, rude. I've spent a fortune on all of this, which has undoubtedly boosted their revenues, but I have been really badly treated. Another lesson. Deal with people who rely on working on VXs for their living and who need to do a good job for you. It is a massive safety net. Courtenay have been great all the way through. Not just because they're nice people, but also because they know that there is a community here who will share their experiences.

I've fallen out of love with the VX for now. I bought it as a treat, something to enjoy. I've driven it about 1000 miles in the last two years and spent more money on it than I dare to think about. And I haven't enjoyed it. No doubt, once I finally get it back, I will drive it a few times and realize that it was worth the effort.

But before you start on something like this, understand what the downside might be, consider getting it done by the pros (yes, it is expensive, but...) and maybe do it in smaller chunks than I did. Hope this helps....

#2 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Wow! The trials and tribulations eh? I hope the passion returns, I know what it's like to have a car that is causing you heartache.

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Ug, I feel for you dude.

I think many of us who have modded our VXes have had something similar to this :(

Is the car fully running now then ?

Best wishes for a few years of unadulterated driving :)

#4 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

The moral of the story is leave the fecking thing standard. Or give it to Joe and Lee. hope you get it sorted. I think this is the bit where the forum kicks in and someone fixes it for you for beer tokens.

#5 oggster

oggster

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive 😉

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

sounds like you have had a right going over mate..hope you get the urge soon and you get her running right..keep the faith fella!!

#6 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I know what it's like to have a car that is causing you heartache.

:yeahthat:

KEEP THE FAITH

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  

#7 Mr Apex

Mr Apex

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thanks folks. I just had one of those "I would rather drive my Lotus than drive a Vauxhall" discussions with the guy who bought my Elise. I told him that once he learns to drive, he'll be ready to handle twice the horsepower. Feel better now.

#8 simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Cars - They cost twice as much and take twice as long as you expect to work on!

#9 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Really sorry to hear of all of your problems. I know most would probably have given up at some point, but full credit to you, you're still going to give the Vx a chance to prove its self  thumbsup

Good luck with it now, I'm sure you'll forget all of the problems once you drive it  :grouphug:

I know what it's like to have a car that is causing you heartache.

:yeahthat:

KEEP THE FAITH

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  

Yours was different Stuwy... it was all your fault :P :poke:  :lol: 

#10 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sorry to read your tale of woe.  I don't however agree with all you conclusions, you could have claimed the repair costs up to the write off value of the car from the liable parties insurer with no risk to yourself.

The moral of the story throughout is to retain control.  Hand that over and you are open to abuse.

#11 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Thanks folks. I just had one of those "I would rather drive my Lotus than drive a Vauxhall" discussions with the guy who bought my Elise. I told him that once he learns to drive, he'll be ready to handle twice the horsepower. Feel better now.

:lol:

Great response  thumbsup

#12 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear your tale. You are over the worst, keep the faith and you will be rewarded, don't give up now!

#13 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Is the car running ok now ? If not drop me a pm and i could help you ;-)

#14 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

My advice to you is to always call upon the forum. That is the reason it is here. I live in bath, there are a couple of Bristol guys, being pointed in the right direction always helps.

I know where you are at emotionally with the car, I had a very similar experience where a guy took ont he work, took way too long to do it, and didnt complete the car, I then went thorugh the buy back from insurance and am now running again and loving it.

:)

#15 rasputin

rasputin

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:drinking beer

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

bummer

hope you get it sorted

did i meet you at blyton with a tape measure?

#16 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Sounds like you've had a nightmare but fair play for sticking with it and holding onto hope that you will fall back in love with her... I am sure you will  :grouphug:   thumbsup

#17 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

Good on you for sticking with it, not sure I would have done but I suppose once the ball is rolling you roll with it.

#18 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

did i meet you at blyton with a tape measure?

Most Interesting post of the week, further explanation required. To the OP, tough lesson to learn, as in most things in life you get what you pay for, and I speak from a not too dissimilar experience too.

#19 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

:grouphug: Feel for you mate, although I agree with Pidgeon about the insurance side of things - another lesson is 'always declare your modifications and get an agreed value' so that in a worst case scenario, you'll maintain your cover and be able to recoup the cost of them.

#20 Mr Apex

Mr Apex

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone. Hugely appreciated. I shall now man up and stop crying into my pint.

Rasputin - no, it wasn't me. I'm sure there is an innocent explanation, but what exactly were you doing with a stranger and a tape measure :huh:?

Pidgeon - it was an Italian insurance company. Technically, you are probably right (assuming that the other party accepts full liability), but I wouldn't risk entering into a multi-national argument....

Lee - PM'd - Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger, pulley, respray, conversion, stage 2, courtenay, cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users