• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

think I'd prefer 10:1 with less boost

#62 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

changing to a overbored piston will require a rebore, but you can buy standard size from that website which will drop straight in.

bad idea unless you have a very low mileage engine (sub 20,000 miles)

I sent two blocks for honing, both were out of tolerance and had to be rebored. One had done 40k and the other 45k :huh:

#63 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

changing to a overbored piston will require a rebore, but you can buy standard size from that website which will drop straight in.  

bad idea unless you have a very low mileage engine (sub 20,000 miles)   I sent two blocks for honing, both were out of tolerance and had to be rebored. One had done 40k and the other 45k :huh:
Would you go with the 10.1 compression or the lower 8.9

#64 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

SC car

#65 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

8.9:1 for stage 3 SC thumbsup

#66 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

My advice would be to purchase one of these brand new saab b207 engines from ebay http://www.ebay.co.u...=item338356410b

Then fit a 2.2 crank, eagle steel rods and standard size wiseco 8.9:1 pistons to it, then port the head and fit some blower cams, this would create a brand new stage 3 engine for less than the cost of rebuilding an old z22se engine.

Edited by vocky, 14 August 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#67 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

This is how ended up spending a fortune... If you are taking the engine out, then clutch, new oil pump, time g chair, balancer shafts, rods, pistons, cams, sump, stab head... 250 is the sweet spot, if you are chasing more the cost is going to get big. (it is lovely though!)

#68 2deano5

2deano5

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Cars / Squash

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

My advice would be to purchase one of these brand new saab b207 engines from ebay http://www.ebay.co.u...=item338356410b

Then fit a 2.2 crank, eagle steel rods and standard size wiseco 8.9:1 pistons to it, then port the head and fit some blower cams, this would create a brand new stage 3 engine for less than the cost of rebuilding an old z22se engine.

Him where have I seen that paragraph before :P

#69 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Would I need a external trigger wheel, ??

#70 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gym, Basketball, Football, LFC, Usual Stuff...

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

http://www.vx220.org...ine-conversion/

#71 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Would a set of 8:9:1 0.5 over bore pistons (the same set for all SC stg3 conversions) drop into a new Saab block, or will it require a rebore?

#72 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

the donor saab 2.0 engine would be converted to a 2.2 with a z22se crank, eagle steel rods and wiseco pistons, so will use the z22se crank sensor and ecu, so no need to modify anything electrical  thumbsup

Edited by vocky, 14 August 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#73 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

the donor saab 2.0 engine would be converted to a 2.2 with a z22se crank, eagle steel rods and wiseco pistons, so will use the z22se crank sensor and ecu, so no need to modify anything electrical  thumbsup
And I would just need to get a base map from Peter
What about clutch and lightened fly wheel and balancer delete

#74 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

clutch and flywheel would be z22se to match the z22se crank, balancer delete is a simple mod whilst the engine is in pieces

#75 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

I need to make this decision Makes a lot of sense Working with deymo might save on some parts to.

#76 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

You can run a B207 engine without even opening it up, with your OBDTuner ECU. See what Ultimate has done. External trigger wheel to restore the stupid standard Z22SE pattern, then Z22YH coil pack (I think it was) and away you go. There's some other minor things to do but those will apply anyway.

#77 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

You can run a B207 engine without even opening it up, with your OBDTuner ECU. See what Ultimate has done. External trigger wheel to restore the stupid standard Z22SE pattern, then Z22YH coil pack (I think it was) and away you go. There's some other minor things to do but those will apply anyway.

I would rather change crank and keep as much of the z22se stuff ie coil pack clutch fly wheel etc

#78 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

I would rather change crank and keep as much of the z22se stuff ie coil pack clutch fly wheel etc
And with all of that you can then just bolt a Harrop onto it ;)

#79 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

And with all of that you can then just bolt a Harrop onto it ;)
Yes how's your going Dave you have been quiet

#80 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

the lnf ecotec , runs 9.2:1 static CR and maximum boost is 1.4 bar (20.0 psi)  , there is a big argument that for each point of CR you drop (10:1 to 9:1), but then up the boost , but still keep the same effective compression ratio. Generally its accepted that per point of CR increase , approx 3% more power.

If you target a certain ECR, say 12.0:1 , then at 8.5:1 CR you can run 14.7psi of boost. But at 7.5:1 you can run 23psi of boost (and still maintain the 12.0:1 ECR). You only gave up 1 point of compression (3% max power) and yet you gained 28% more oxygen (28% more power potential). At the extreme, top fuel is running 5:1 compression.

this is only half of it , the cam/compression relationship is just about the most fundamental part of engine design IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users