Photo

High Flow Sc Inlet Manifold

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Hi flow SC inlet manifold (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How much would you pay?

1. £400 (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

2. £600 (9 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. £800 (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

4. £1000 (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

As due to the SAAB engine GB there are now a lot more engine out there that could make use of a inlet manifold the question is how much would people be willing to pay for a redesigned inlet manifold?

#2 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

20 quid...

Depends on how convincingly its designed. I could take a normal inlet manifold, put it on the mill and stick an air to water heat exchanger in place of the laminovas. All I could guarantee is that it would be sh!t   :P 

Edited by nicollow, 18 October 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#3 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

If it makes water injection no longer nevessary and proves to give shy of 400 Harrop HP's, it will be worth quite some...

(and also lowers the charger for lower CofG... And...)

#4 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

:)

#5 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

I'm glad someone is considering addressing this knarly problem for your SCed cars. 400 BHP of air requires quite a lot of cooling even if you are only running 15 to 20 PSI. As quite a few people seem to be aiming for these higher power levels I would imagine it's really worth designing an inlet with a sizable remote CC matrix (ie air/water with big pre-rad) rather than trying to squeeze in a couple more laminovas in the existing void.

Good luck.

Edited by Nev, 19 October 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#6 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

The market is there for sure. Depending on performance of said inlet I would pay top money. It's the intake temps that need to be more than halfed though. My old r26 would only ever see maybe 10 degrees above ambiant temps, even on track. A constant hit of power as aposed to peak figures is what I'm after.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

If it were me, I'd design a manifold to take the charged air from the supercharger down a pipe to a remote CC matrix and thence back to the inlet.

Edited by Nev, 19 October 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#8 ufods

ufods

• Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

necessarily interested!

It is also interesting for stage 2 drivers as the intake temps are not that healthy in warm conditions or on track.

Christian.

#9 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

necessarily interested!

It is also interesting for stage 2 drivers as the intake temps are not that healthy in warm conditions or on track.

Christian.

Agree, depending on costs you may even get new Stage 2 people buy, I think a new one is about £400 from the US + delivery and tax? (I'm sure someone can verify)

I'm say Harrop owners would go to about £700 for it if it ticked all the boxes.

#10 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

it defiantly needs it. One problem, you only have so much space to utilise, you can't go any further towards the alternator as all you have is about 5 mm, so what are the effects of an offset manifold on the air flow, wasn't there something with regards cylinder 4 and the airflow causing problems already? so a manifold which collets the air and routes it to say lower down behind the engine, slightly more room, to a CC setup then back up into the intakes. I Think FLD looked at remote mounting the s/c lower down at one point but ran in to some trouble. if one was designed I would think a 3d printer to make a test version would be a good idea, wonder how strong 3d printer plastic materials are? I had looked at 3d printing for this application you can actually get a printer to do it in metal so I am told. Cost well?

#11 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've looked into this, most obvious way to make a larger manifold while keeping everything else in original positions (which keeps cost down) is to go into the cabin by creating an aluminium box in the bulkhead, much like the inspection hatches that a lot of the harrop lot have gone for.

#12 ufods

ufods

• Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

The alternator can be spaced on the place where the original clima charger is located.

#13 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

if the charger was raised upwards (and levelled off) then possibly another core or two could be installed ?

#14 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I would certainly be interested.

#15 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Just putting ideas out there, Could we use a air conditioning pump to cool air somehow

#16 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Just putting ideas out there, Could we use a air conditioning pump to cool air somehow

Thought also a setup where instead of water you use refrigerant, Think FLD tried that already

#17 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

if the charger was raised upwards (and levelled off) then possibly another core or two could be installed ?

Yep that's what I am going for pro alloy will be making me one like this
Posted Image
This is what Jamie's and other super charged Honda conversions use instead of lominovers but I will be running both .;-)

Edited by leevx2.2, 19 October 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#18 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Posted Image
This is what Jamie's and other super charged Honda conversions use instead of lominovers but I will be running both .;-)
Same pump as CC or seperate

#19 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, I tried aircon cooling on my GB cos with two Lockheed missile heat exchangers.  This method saps power and doesn't actually provide sufficient cooling given the airflow to the engine.  Its a shame.  There could be potential for a peltier type cooler perhaps???

I looked at mounting a SC low down and found that a plenum next to the starter bolted to the block with the SC mounted to that was the best place but there's not enough room for this in the VX.

I looked at adding extra laminova into a new casting (ie extend the OE one lower).  This has some potential but if you just extend it directly down the end plate would foul the starter.  It would have to be kinked in a couple of inches which would complicate the end plate and I'm not sure how much value this would be. 

One option would be a sandwich plate style cooler between SC and manifold but this is a mere tweek to ICT.  We could take an OE manifold, block the laminova paths and add an outlet at the bottom which could divert flow to a larger, external CC then back in.  Its a bit of a bodge but could work.  A rotrex into this type of CC would be better IMO.

#20 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

Posted Image
Same pump as CC or seperate
Same pump just y it into the cc system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users