• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gonçalo Pereira

Gonçalo Pereira

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hi guys

Took the car in for a service and they can't get the oil filter off. I've some questions:

1) This http://www.tat-conce...king-tools.html wilL help to open the casing? If not what tool do you recommend?

2) If all comes loose i need to remove the engine to sort it? It's simple to refit all parts?

3) Any parts can be damaged in this process of change a simple oil filter?

I just want to remove my oil filter. Why the speedster/vx doesn't come with a honda engine? :angry:

#2 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

You need one of these http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a768a7998

Oh and the Vauxhall doesn't have a Honda engine as they have no power and no torque.

#3 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

You just need a ring spanner and it will undo, either the top will come off and your sorted or the whole lot will undo and you will have to be careful re fitting to make sure the flat steel ring seals are in place or you damage them and oil will p*ss out. For a few quid I would get some anyway. It's no big deal and if the mechanic can't put a ring spanner on a tight filter And remove it I think you need a new mechanic big time

#4 chappers2000

chappers2000

• PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Sports cars; kit cars, mountain biking

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

Had trouble with mine a few weeks ago. Just used a long socket extension bar placed in the square hole in the filter top and a long breaker bar to apply torque. It undid the oil cooler rather than the filter top, but this does enable you to replace the oil filter element. If you are reusing the oil cooler sandwich plate seals or fitting new ones, then be careful putting it back together as you can easily damage them. You'll know straight away if you have as oil will leak out immediately. If you use the correct tools you could get the oil filter top off so that next time you change the filter you stand a chance of just replacing the filter and o-ring, and leave the oil cooler alone.

#5 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

Had trouble with mine a few weeks ago. Just used a long socket extension bar placed in the square hole in the filter top and a long breaker bar to apply torque. It undid the oil cooler rather than the filter top, but this does enable you to replace the oil filter element. If you are reusing the oil cooler sandwich plate seals or fitting new ones, then be careful putting it back together as you can easily damage them. You'll know straight away if you have as oil will leak out immediately. If you use the correct tools you could get the oil filter top off so that next time you change the filter you stand a chance of just replacing the filter and o-ring, and leave the oil cooler alone.

I have been told you have less chance of damaging the housing using a ring spanner if you have to start swinging on it or getting the hammer out if it's solid. A lot of force with a square bar in the hole can crack the top. Not sure how true this is but I found a ring spanner easy.

#6 Gonçalo Pereira

Gonçalo Pereira

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thks a lot :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil filter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users