468 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Project 'Cash in the Attic' is simple: Instead of raiding the savings to convert my NA to SC I plan to try and raise the cash by selling stuff sitting around in the garage, loft and shed that's not being used. This has a double benefit that it forces me to clear out stuff that's been sitting around for ages and I get to SC my car without having to starve/sell the kids (unless they sit still in the shed for too long)  :happy:

Aim:- DIY Stage 2 SC - 250bhp 

Target Cost:- Approx £2k

Rules:

• I can only use profits from selling my stuff (kids toys not allowed - Boo!)
  • Accounting must be tight (ebay fees have to be counted, postage can't be included etc.)
  • No sneaking stuff in through the 'it's for safety' or 'it was due a new alloy rad anyway'.
  • I can't 'borrow' money from elsewhere - items must be sold and paid for before purchasing new shiny bits

I'm sure I'll add a few more but feel free to suggest some too!

So how's it going so far?

Step 1: Sell motorbike exhaust to buy a VX exhaust...

Sold these:

Posted Image

And bought Stuwy's Regal backbox:-

Posted Image

I got his standard downpipe that had the precat removed as well. It started like this:-

Posted Image

And now looks like this:-

Posted Image

Step 2: Raise more cash and buy a Supercharger

So I sold this:- 

Posted Image

And now have a charger, manifold and 68mm TB which (apparently) has less than 10k miles on them, new oil and coupler - now on their way from the good ol USA:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's a surplus of cash at the moment but it's no where near enough to get the rest of the bits... Currently on the bay to add to the coffers are:-

- E36 M3 EVO steering rack

- 1zz-fe injectors, fuel rail and coil packs

That's all for now. This isn't going to be a quick process....

Edited by Captain Vimes, 08 January 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#2 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

I think you need to tell us how much you bought and sold for, so we know you're not cheating ;)

#3 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

Good luck .......when do you think it will all be done and fitted?

#4 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Well you've already failed, by buying that fanny exhaust from Stewy. :lol:

#5 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

Ps. Do you need an inlet manifold support bracket? Got one for sale cheaper than from the states or CS.

#6 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

How did you get that bike in and out of the attic? My loft hatch has an aperture of only 75cm x 75cm.

#7 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Might find it easier to generate money with project 'hash in the attic'

#8 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I think you need to tell us how much you bought and sold for, so we know you're not cheating ;)

Good idea - I'll add a running total.

Good luck .......when do you think it will all be done and fitted?

No idea. I don't want to work on the car while the weather is crap and when the weather is good I want to drive it, not have it sitting around in pieces.... If I can get all the parts together then I'd like to do the conversion March/April time but if not it will have to wait until the autumn so I can enjoy it in the summer.

Well you've already failed, by buying that fanny exhaust from Stewy. :lol:

What can I say, the fanny shape is growing on me  :tumble: (I may be on my own there)...

I desperately needed something that made some more noise after only registering 87db on drive by at Donington and again static at Brands hatch plus the Regal seems to have about the largest box possible for this type of design AND the fanny doesn't suffer from the trumpeting effect (there was one time, at boot camp....) 

Ps. Do you need an inlet manifold support bracket? Got one for sale cheaper than from the states or CS.

Yes please! - Is it this one:- http://www.courtenay...c/prod_820.html

#9 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

How did you get that bike in and out of the attic? My loft hatch has an aperture of only 75cm x 75cm.

This guy helped:-

#10 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Great idea, good luck to you.

#11 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

First accounting update:

[color=#000000;]Cash raised: £1505.12[/color]

Items sold: Suzuki sv650, Ixil motorbike exhausts, Oxford ground anchor, Universal fly screen, GSXR750 sprockets

[color=#ff0000;]Costs: -£831.60[/color]

Spent on: Ebay fees, Fanny Exhaust, pre-cated downpipe, Supercharger, Manifold, 68mm TB, Shipping, Import duty (estimated)

[color=#008000;]Float: £673.52[/color]

Estimated additional funds required (I need to make a proper list for this unless someone has a costed up list laying around??): £400?

Estimated value of stuff currently on Ebay: £80

Funding gap= £320+ 

#12 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Yep that's the one. When I ordered mine CS were on back order (by 10 weeks) so ordered one from the US. Both then turned up within a day of each other! From CS posted would be £53? So call it £45 and couple of £'s postage? If you wanted to make the exhaust louder then drill some holes in the box. Anything is better than fanny (cough, cough) ;) Even Stewy got rid of it for christ sake! :lol:

#13 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Save cost on the CC rad by getting an oil cooler which will fit in the gap of the crash box. Around £80 and served my stage2 SC very well. Get some second hand tubby injectors off a post stage4 owner. Plus search for ChrisUK's build thread as there's a list on there with 90% of the parts needed. :)

Edited by ArticMonkey, 08 January 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#14 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Cs map or OBD tuner? 

#15 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Save cost on the CC rad buy getting an oil cooler which will fit in the gap of the crash box. Around £80 and served my stage2 SC very well. Get some second hand tubby injectors off a post stage4 owner. Plus search for ChrisUK's build thread as there's a list on there with 90% of the parts needed. :)

But keep in mind the turbo injectors max out at 250 bhp, so won't last that long. If you go for the OBD software you can use the injectors photographed with the charger.

#16 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Save cost on the CC rad buy getting an oil cooler which will fit in the gap of the crash box. Around £80 and served my stage2 SC very well. Get some second hand tubby injectors off a post stage4 owner. Plus search for ChrisUK's build thread as there's a list on there with 90% of the parts needed. :)

But keep in mind the turbo injectors max out at 250 bhp, so won't last that long. If you go for the OBD software you can use the injectors photographed with the charger.
True, but I didn't have any issues with my set at 262bhp. It was the pump that wasn't man enough in the end.

#17 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Arctic - I could have had the support bracket from the cobalt but it looked different in the pic so opted not to go for it. Maybe the wrong choice... I'll drop you a PM re: the bracket. 

Software:

I'd love to go dutch and understand the benefits but the CS map has been tried and tested plus budget is tight so I was looking at CS. One of the things that I'd like from the dutch software is the ability to monitor air intake temp and adjust fuel and advance when things get hot but may just add a IAT sensor and gauge on the dash instead.

Injectors:

I'd like like to avoid running them at a high duty cycle but again they seem to have proven reliable in other cars so was going for the tubby injectors as the LSJ's weren't compatible with CS map. Has anyone actually confirmed the duty cycle on the tubby injectors? Are there other options (VXR)?

#18 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yes,VXR injectors.

#19 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yes,VXR injectors.

Are they used in anything else?

Forgot to add that my plan is to go for a smaller charge cooler rad behind the V. I don't really like the way that the pro-ally one sits right up against the standard rad that is heated up by the engine. It can't be that much less efficient to have a smaller rad that runs in cleaner/cooler air.

What were the dimensions (or ebay link) to the rad you used? Any pics of it fitted?

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Captain Vimes, 08 January 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#20 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Check with CS about injectors though.

I think they only send out the basemap on the black turbo ones, requiring you to buy twice if you want to switch to the blue ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users