PA Tank, job done.

#442 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

Great bit of kit that.

To bad I can only drain it to 40 liters. Last 8 get´s left behind.

#443 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

I can get it low enough to get 49 litres back in. :o :o

#444 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:57 PM

48 or 60l version techie? And oem pump or spitfire edition?

#445 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

I sometimes hate this car. A nice 10 minute job; fit the hard top, quick wash and get the cover on... was the plan. While trying to adjust the windows to get them to seal against the hard, a final tweak has resulted in the adjuster falling into the door so I now have a loose rattly window that doesn't seal at all just as the sun drops and dinners cooked. Great, another week when I won't be using the vx. Well I have a pile of parts to fit anyway so I'll save another weekend for working on the car instead of driving it :(

#446 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

If it's a copy hardtop, it's missing a seal carrier which forces you to adjust the window. You can buy this part separately

#447 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Fez - it's an oem but needed adjusting even with the soft top.  TBH the seals could all do with replacing.

Quick update for the thread.

Stuff I've done recently:

Front suspension:

- Front springs increased to 425lb (rears still at 525lb) and  ARB back to mid setting. I tried increasing the ARB to max at Brands in an attempt to lose the oversteer I had at Rockingham... It didn't work, I still had turn-in oversteer and made the exit understeer worse. The front/rear spring ratio was pretty extreme so hopefully this will help restore some balance.

Rear Suspension:

- I discovered that I still had camber shims in the rear (x2) so they've come out now to give max camber; I was seeing much higher temps on the outside shoulder at brands and the tyres are wearing more on the outside so it needs some more. Hopefully this will be enough..

On the list to do:

- The NSR wheel arch liner was melted by the heat from the exhaust u-bend. I've tried re-molding it with a heat gun and it hasn't worked as it still scrapes the tyre over bumps. A replacement arch liner from Liz and some exhaust heat wrap from ebay will hopefully be the solution. I may still add a decat at a later date which should help keep temps in the u-bend lower too.

- Poweflex ARB bushes to be fitted to stop the squeak (hopefully) 

- NSF hub - I boiled the brake fluid at Brands hatch (even with RBF600, EP belled discs and brake coolers) but only on the front left - the same as at Bedford a while back. I've always had a rattly front left brake (with all the discs I've had fitted). Upon closer inspection there's a lot of disc run-out. I've tried cleaning the face of the hub but it's made no difference. I'm going to replace the hub in the hope this cures it. In hindsight this might explain a lot of the brake heat issues I've had and may mean I didn't really need the coolers..

On a separate note, I'm being tempted by the racing bug and have my eye on a particular race series. I don't have enough space for a race car, trailer, tow car, vx and family bus so it might mean letting the vx go in the spring unless we move to a bigger house in the mean time.

#448 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:45 PM

Oh yeah! Last race of the season this weekend so time to buy is in the next month.

#449 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

Oh yeah! Last race of the season this weekend so time to buy is in the next month.

:thumbsup: There's already a few up for sale. It's definitely a good time to buy!

#450 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

As I said a while back, bargains to be had, especially as the weather gets colder and the amount of buyers reduces.

#451 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Oh good luck in that What would you be looking at entering

#452 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:53 PM

Caterham graduates but not for quite a while yet.

#453 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

I was laughing at the csterhams in the rain the other day. Waiting for noise test, they where like a bunch of drowned rats :lol:

#454 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:32 PM

As I said a while back, bargains to be had, especially as the weather gets colder and the amount of buyers reduces.

Went to have a look at a caterham last week, unfortunately it had damage the owner hadn't spotted (front wishbone mounts pulled off the chassis after a lunge up the inside that didn't work out). I'm hoping to look at another next week in better condition... fingers crossed. So what's the future for YR51 GUD? Current plan is to return it to road spec for summer evenings and weekends. Watch this space for a spring sale of track bits...

#455 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

Most racers will have some contact during their life, hopefully its not chassis contact. Thankfully its easy enough to see on 7s.

#456 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Can't you just drill some rivets and replace that part :lol:

#457 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

Yeah but a new chassis is £5k :) Edit - its actually £4.6k https://caterhampart...d-jan-2011.html

Edited by SteveA, 03 December 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#458 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

Haven't updated this for ages but that's probably because I haven't driven the vx for months :( That doesn't mean I haven't been crawling around on the floor working on it though! As I don't plan to take it on track anymore I've removed harnesses, brake cooler plates (still have the pipes) and EP discs, which really have no benefit on the road. Controversially I've also removed the 1" ARB and replaced with OEM but this is combined with the earlier increase in front spring rate to 425lb. I never really like the effect of the ARB on road or track. Turn in was better but for me it generated understeer from mid corner through the exit. I suspect I needed to change other settings (toe?) to make it work. Maintenance wise I replaced the front left wheel bearing as the old one was a bit noisy when hot. To do: - replace wheel arch liner - oil change - change wheels over to summer set - MOT Put it up for sale :(

#459 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

I suspect I needed to change other settings (toe?) to make it work.

Did your car ever have the steering rack raised?  

#460 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

I suspect I needed to change other settings (toe?) to make it work.

Did your car ever have the steering rack raised?  
I have the plates but not fitted them. The other issue could have been how tight the bushes were. I suspect the EP bushes were just too tight and stopping the suspension working properly. I had the powerflex bushes to fit but just never got round to fitting them. The main aim of an ARB is to change the balance of the car to an individual drivers preference. I was always happier with the car on std ARB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users