• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Having been pi$$ed off with the state of my lights for ages I decided that now the car is stored for Winter it was about time to get a spanner out and take them out and fix them. Fed up with fogging, spiders and such :lol:

There's quite a lot of threads on the forum about this, the best way, the best sealant etc etc so anyone thinking of doing this then it's worth doing a little bit of research via the search function. Lots of useful advice for what, now, seems so bloody simple!

So, took my first light out this afternoon, drivers side headlight. All of 2 minutes to do. Threw the nut away as that will be replaced with a wing nut to avoid a spanner next time :) Pics are attached, sorry for the poor quality. You can see the massive gap in the original sealant where I've put a screwdriver in and wedged it, no wonder it was leaking!

Used the oven technique, warmed the oven up to about 120 and popped the light in for about 3 minutes to help make the old glue sticky and easy to work with. Light was quite warm when it came out, but the lens came off soo easily (except one bit where a previous owner used feckin superglue on it!). A combo of a knife and a screwdriver to help wedge the gap open worked a treat.

Total time about 15 minutes!

So, removed the old sealant, wiped down and given a light sand over the rough bits then used Tiger seal followed by lots of clamping.

There's quite a lot of comment on getting the lens fitted correctly. I marked the lens and the casing before I removed it with a marker pen. Then simply refitted it. Having tested it back on the car the fit is the same so I'd recommend that.

3 lights to go..........should be all finished by tomorrow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Looks great. Mini clamps a good idea.

#3 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Get the bad boy back on the road :popcorn:

#4 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Not until it's been supercharged Paul ;) Got to be able to at least try and keep up with you on the straights when we're tracking the cars this year :lol:

#5 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Clams been painted and will be here next week, painter for the door, bonnet and cill booked for end January, headlight will be posted Monday, will be up and running by 2-3 week February :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

#6 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Clams been painted and will be here next week, painter for the door, bonnet and cill booked for end January, headlight will be posted Monday, will be up and running by 2-3 week February :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I'll be back on the road in April, maybe May :( Glad to hear the beast is back tho matey :)

#7 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

I'll post a pic of the headlight back in the car tomorrow. The rest will be out and the sealant curing.

#8 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Mini clamps a good idea.

Cheap and effective. Cost a few quid from Amazon, bought specifically for doing this :thumbsup

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Not until it's been supercharged Paul ;) Got to be able to at least try and keep up with you on the straights when we're tracking the cars this year :lol:

Do you have a charger lined up?

#10 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Good work Rudy, was it the condensation that was the main reason for splitting the lights

#11 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

If I was you I would mark roughly where the old lenses come off so you can line up again when coming to refit. They never seem to line up with the clam again when they have been taking apart.

#12 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Nope, not yet. Looking to start this early March when work is quieter and funds are sufficient (unlimited lol) enough to replace all those, as yet, undiscovered nasties when the clams come off.

Good work Rudy, was it the condensation that was the main reason for splitting the lights

The car is garaged so I don't suffer from this unless it rains when I use it on the odd weekend. But previous owner left it outside so lights were full of watermarks, spiders and grit. Looked unsightly. Main problem was the amount of water in the lights after washing it ( an alien concept to you Myles :lol: ) I could have put small fish in the lights!

#13 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

See, the downsides to a clean car are clear!

#14 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Just derive it in the rain with the roof off, you wont worry about the lenses then :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#15 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Cheap and effective. Cost a few quid from Amazon, bought specifically for doing this

I've already got similar but I just ordered a pack of 8 of them from Amazon for the bargain price of £1.15 including delivery! thumbsup

#16 TJenkos

TJenkos

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

The clips are a great idea but certainly not a requirement. I just used detailing tape and they weren't going anywhere. You don't want to compress it too tightly else the sealant will just be pushed out.

#17 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Nope, not yet. Looking to start this early March when work is quieter and funds are sufficient (unlimited lol) enough to replace all those, as yet, undiscovered nasties when the clams come off.

Nothing that nasty waiting under it, i'd get a dremel and extra cutting discs if you don't already, and a stainless bolt replacement kit, as none of those bolts will want to come out on their own. Only other things to consider are new jack nuts and rivnuts as they may spin.

I'll be coming back from the US with a supercharger kit if you're interested at the end of Jan

#18 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Cheap and effective. Cost a few quid from Amazon, bought specifically for doing this

I've already got similar but I just ordered a pack of 8 of them from Amazon for the bargain price of £1.15 including delivery! thumbsup
Yup, that's the ones I bought. I got some bigger ones (only a 4 pack) just in case. I made sure the tiger seal was applied to the outer edge so anything that got pushed out didn't end up in the lights-worked very well and I can see a total seal all the way around thumbsup

#19 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Nothing that nasty waiting under it, i'd get a dremel and extra cutting discs if you don't already, and a stainless bolt replacement kit, as none of those bolts will want to come out on their own. Only other things to consider are new jack nuts and rivnuts as they may spin.   I'll be coming back from the US with a supercharger kit if you're interested at the end of Jan
Front clam was off a couple of years ago to replace the rad, and from what I can see that's ok. Rear nuts look rusted so that's going to be a pain. Just considering whether to have a crack at this myself with Ollie2007's help (you did his heater a few weeks back?) or have someone else do it. Either way it's got to be bought. Want to pm me a price and details? Cheers for your help.

#20 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hey Rudy, if you bite the bullet and fit it yourself, that'll be perfect practise to help me later on!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users