Brain Cancer Sucks!

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#81 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

So sorry to hear Lee  :(  :grouphug: 

#82 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Not been on this section for a while (aware from face book) was hoping for better news but like everyone else now devastated. Like you say words don't work fella, so let's just hope for the best Going through similar sh*t with Jans brother. .

Edited by ghand, 12 February 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#83 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

:( so sad to hear. Thoughts and wishes again for the best possible outcome. Again as others have said, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. :grouphug:

#84 oggster

oggster

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive 😉

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

:grouphug:

#85 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

So a brief update. Alex under went a second brain operation on Thursday to try and remove some more of the cancerous tumor. Operation was successful and they got "most" of it. Now it's taking her home for rest and recuperation. Let the wound heal and then we're onto radiotherapy and chemotherapy. A long road ahead with treatment, but ultimately the cancer won't go away :( Thanks for the messages of support. :grouphug:

#86 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

#87 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Huge thoughts with you still Lee amd family.

#88 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Cross post from FB:

[color=#333333;][font="'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;"]This update is written with admiration and pride, Alex was discharged from hospital today. The discharge took far longer than it should have done... we started at 10am and finally left hospital at 22:30!! She's fast asleep in bed now, her normal bed. Who'd have thought that 2 weeks ago.[/size][/color][/font]

[color=#333333;][font="'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;"]The next 4-6 weeks will be spent resting and recuperating in order to heal the head wound. Once the wound is healed, it's onto radiotherapy and chemotherapy.[/size][/color][/font]

[color=#333333;][font="'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;"]The 2nd surgery went very well a[/size][/color][/font][color=#333333;][font="'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;"]ccording to the surgeons, so that's positive news in our favour.

The road ahead is unknown, but suffice to say we will be living every day as if it's the last.

Thank you for your support both over the last few weeks and in the coming weeks and months.

People are welcome to visit Alex at home, but please let me know before you arrive. In addition to this, please can we politely request no flowers, we only have 3 vases and I will have a enough trouble looking after a bossy wife let alone flowers! 

If you wanted to bring something, you really don't need to, then either:
A donation to Macmillan nurses or "The Brain Tumour Charity", we're going to need them over the course of Alex's treatment.
A supermarket shopping voucher, so I can provide Alex with as much good nutritious food.
A food item, in case you don't believe I can cook! 

We don't "need" anything but your support. Thank you for being our friends and family.

I'd also like to extend a special thankyou to our families, for their undying support and endless jobs they've done for us over the last 2 weeks. Grandma has been a full time "mum" to the girls and they have been very good by all accounts.

The girls will continue to stay at Grandmas for the next few days at least until we can get Alex settled in.

So please don't stay away, Alex needs to catch up on everyone's news that she's missed over the last 2 weeks!
[/size][/color][/font]

#89 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

#90 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

Thinking of you all :grouphug:

Edited by PaulCP, 16 February 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#91 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Great to hear Alex is back home. All tHe Scampions are sending there love and thoughts.

Martin S

#92 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Not sure we've met, but still a difficult read.  All the very best.  :grouphug:

#93 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

So sad to read this and i admire you for sharing it. Stay strong and trust our great health service to do all they can! Good to hear she's now at home. My thoughts are very much with you and your family. I wish you many happy times together! 

#94 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

Glad the missus is back home fella. Really hope it all goes as smoothly as possible from here on in  :grouphug:

#95 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Glad your wife's home mate, all the best.

#96 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Lee, they are making great in roads in cures and treatments for 'C' all the time, so hang in there. As someone with 'C' too it is constantly in the back of my mind but as you're finding it is constantly in the back of your loved ones minds too which I know can be very difficult and awkward. Stay strong mate, talking's a great stress reliever and there's plenty on here ready to listen as i'm sure you know.

PS as you can see I don't even like using the word!

#97 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

We're back at john radcliffe again, Alex has fluid under the skin wound. So they are wanting to do blood tests for infection and a ct scan for brain pressure. Fingers crossed we're home later today but have been warned it could be an overnight stay.

#98 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Just spotted this. As with everyone else, it's horrible to hear about & my best wishes are extended to you and your family. Many people do recover. We've had lots & lots of cancer in both the paternal and maternal sides of my family, at various years of age (30s to 70s) and it's not yet been the cause of any of our losses. *fingers crossed* My own dad's currently in year 3 of remission from a very aggressive form of skin cancer & my mum is a year ahead on another, female type. There is hope. :grouphug:

#99 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

So further to my message from 21st... Alex was admitted on Friday night, and they finally performed a wound drain at 9:30 Friday night. Unfortunately the wound refilled by 5:30am saturday morning, so it was nil by mouth until they could perform a "lumbar drain". The task of inserting a lumbar drain was finally done at 7pm Saturday, having been nil by mouth since 5:30 that morning, she was proper starving by then! :lol: She's still on the ward at the JR hospital and will be certainly for the next few days until they can slow down the production of the CSF. She feels ok, just pissed off and frustrated at having to be back in hospital after she had the "luxury" of a few days at home last week.

#100 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

So further to my message from 21st... Alex was admitted on Friday night, and they finally performed a wound drain at 9:30 Friday night. Unfortunately the wound refilled by 5:30am saturday morning, so it was nil by mouth until they could perform a "lumbar drain". The task of inserting a lumbar drain was finally done at 7pm Saturday, having been nil by mouth since 5:30 that morning, she was proper starving by then! :lol: She's still on the ward at the JR hospital and will be certainly for the next few days until they can slow down the production of the CSF. She feels ok, just pissed off and frustrated at having to be back in hospital after she had the "luxury" of a few days at home last week.

How are the twins holding up? I can't imagine what you, they and Alex are going through Lee, my thoughts are with you all.

I was speaking with Mel the other day (you know married life and all that blissful silence whilst starring at the tv malarky) and it put our troubles into perspective... I know you must be having less dignified moments, but I am in awe at how well you seem to be keeping it together.

/A very very humbled Mangham54

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users