battery

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tony VXR 56

Tony VXR 56

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hi, advice please - I have a battery problem: Connected to the ctek trickle charger over the last few months after battery constantly discharged over winter. Everything has been fine since January and have done two track days without problem. Came to use the car today and indication is battery fully charged but when I try to start the car it doesn't start and behaves as though the battery is discharged. Ignition on all lights an d everything as normal. Push start button and tries to start briefly then proceeds to clicking and alarm. After 2/3 efforts to start the battery is almost dead. Reconnect charger and indicates charging process starts ok but then goes green within in a few minutes. Retry starting and same result - puzzled. Anyone have any ideas. Battery is at least 4 years old but not sure of the make and I suspect the battery might be faulty and will need replacing.

#2 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

It sounds like your old battery is struggling to maintain it's charge (i.e. amps). I'm sure Halfords can do a free "on load" test to see if this is the case. If it is over 4 years old my money would be on it being knackered. If halfords confirm it is the battery, don't buy it from them! (unless you have a trade card).

#3 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Mine went vey suddenly just like that, it went flat then after a few charges died altogether. £45 quid off the net delivered. Not worth faffing about with, then you know it won't let you down Enjoy changing it, great fun :lol:

#4 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

tony, you  are pm'd

#5 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

I did mine yesterday funnily enough, it looked like such an easy job at first................. :angry:  :9mm:

#6 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,876 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

changed mine today, £45 from Chemix, in stock, bit of a struggle but got it out and in OK.  

#7 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

changed mine today, £45 from Chemix, in stock, bit of a struggle but got it out and in OK.    

It's not that bad, but I did pick up a scratch :lol:

#8 Tony VXR 56

Tony VXR 56

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the replies - I am going to get the recovery people out tomorrow and hopefully they will change it for me...

HH - thanks - I have pmd you.

I took the skin off my knuckles getting to ctek charger on so dread the self change option!  :happy:

#9 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

If you do need a hand and your recovery people don't want to know, I'm happy to pop over at the weekend Tony.  Would be good to see you again.   chinky chinky

#10 rizo9

rizo9

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

Mine did the same. New one for £37 from car parts for less

#11 Tony VXR 56

Tony VXR 56

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

If you do need a hand and your recovery people don't want to know, I'm happy to pop over at the weekend Tony.  Would be good to see you again.   chinky chinky

Offer much appreciated - will let you know Ken. Does feel like ages! Feel free to stop by anyway for a coffee on Saturday if you're out and about. I'll be around until about 4pm.

#12 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

Offer much appreciated - will let you know Ken. Does feel like ages! Feel free to stop by anyway for a coffee on Saturday if you're out and about. I'll be around until about 4pm.

Sounds like a plan Tony!  I can probably get over early afternoon say around 2pm.  

Can you drop me a PM with your phone number as I stupidly didn't save your number onto my sim card but instead it was in my old phone memory and the phone died (in a pint of Becks Vier......don't ask!)  Stick your address on the PM too as its been so long I can remember your address! 

#13 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Sounds like a plan Tony!  I can probably get over early afternoon say around 2pm.     Can you drop me a PM with your phone number as I stupidly didn't save your number onto my sim card but instead it was in my old phone memory and the phone died (in a pint of Becks Vier......don't ask!)  Stick your address on the PM too as its been so long I can remember your address! 
Ask ! :lol:

#14 zaff

zaff

• PipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Cars Hifi and home cinema

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

I have been looking at car parts for less. Is it best to pay more and get a battery with a five year guarantee?

Any specific one recommended or are they all pretty much the same.

#15 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Depends how long you plan on keeping the car :lol:

#16 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Bosch Silver was what I bought and was a breeze to fit and though all batteries should last more than 4yrs, it is good to know that it is covered. Though to be honest it is such a cheap component it is not something to spend massive amounts on as it isn't really worth it.

#17 Vaux Pop

Vaux Pop

• PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Bosch Silver was what I bought and was a breeze to fit and though all batteries should last more than 4yrs, it is good to know that it is covered. Though to be honest it is such a cheap component it is not something to spend massive amounts on as it isn't really worth it.

:yeahthat: Bosch S4 has a good reputation.

I replaced mine recently with one - £39 from Euro Car Parts on ebay, free delivery or click and collect. 

#18 ratboiler

ratboiler

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

How old is the battery I change mine every 4 years?

I had a similar problem, went out and bought a new battery which after fitting went down hill fast.

A mechanic friend came round and clipped a jump lead to the battery terminal and onto a metal part of the Chassis and it started fine, broken earth lead which i found later, worth a check before you buy a new battery, unless its an old battery.

Good luck, I'm in Bedford as well.

#19 zaff

zaff

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

I am not sure how old it is.

I had it on a CTEK but due to a power outage (wife unplugging it for the mower) when I was away working the battery had discharged itself. I did not even get the dash lights.

I charged it for a few hours then went for a run. I then placed it back on the CTEK and it was still showing as partially discharged. I checked it again this morning and no change. I would have expected the CTEK to be indicating a fully charged after all that time.

I don't have anything on as it is in a securely locked alarmed garaged so it is not the alarm on the car nor is it the radio.

New battery me thinks.

#20 zaff

zaff

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Well that's the hardest job on the VX done. I used the turn it sideways and the belt loop method and did not even end up with a scratch.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users