Replacing Toe Links.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

This is a pretty simple job and self explanatory but I have had a request for a guide so this is how I did it . It's not for all you mechs obviously more for the novice, Jack up the car,remove wheel and chock it safe. Now you may not want to do the next bit, you may want to get a geo set up later ? But it's what I did. Place a laser spirit level flat across the hub resting on the centre boss and shine the dot onto the wheel arch and mark with a felt pen, your not to fussed with up and down position it's obviously the left to right movement you want to put back exactly as it was. Remove the 17mm nut holding the calliper, remove the brake retaining pin by inserting a small punch in the hole on the inside face of the calliper and tapping out the pin (small Allen key if you have no punches) Lift out the spring. Hand brake off, give the cable a pull at the calliper and some slight leverage on the pads to free it all off then tap out the front pad. The calliper will now slide off its bar but you need the disk off first. Undo Allen key in the disk, spray penetrating oil on the centre then tap the disk off from the inside with a small block of wood and a hammer. Slide calliper off and support it. Now you can get to the 12 mm nut on top of the outer link, spray and undo with a socket. If the whole thing spins tap a 17mm spanner onto the flats on the joint. Put your punch on the thread and tap it out. Undo the 12mm nut on the inner link, you can't see this very well Loosen the torque bolt holding the under tray just under the inner joint and maybe a bolt either side, so the tray can drop down slightly giving room for you to tap or pull out the link. To undo the links from the bar Put a 16 mm spanner on the flats on the bar, I put the bar with spanner on onto the floor and stood on the spanner then a 17mm on the nut. Now if your doing the inner (long stud) it's a LEFT hand thread on both, the outer is normal thread. Fitting is just the reverse. Set the joints to the same position roughly, once fitted re position your laser level and adjust the bar to line up your dot, lock it all up. Job done. Just in case you forgot when you come to fit the thing back the outer joint has a spacer on first then the other on top then the nut. I will put some stud lock on mine for good measure but don't suppose you need to. Anyone any better things to add feel free as I'm no expert and that's just what I did. Like I say it was requested so hope it helps. .

Edited by ghand, 14 March 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#2 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Having just put my toe links on I think its worth mentioning that you make sure the inner one sits in the recess before you tighten the nut. The flats need to be alined and the thing held in place as you tighten them as it's posable just to tighten the thing without it sitting in the recess and you may not realise or see it's not in its correct position? Now you will :lol:

#3 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Can someone confirm - on the outer joints, do both spacers go below the hub carrier or is it one above / one below?

#4 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Can someone confirm - on the outer joints, do both spacers go below the hub carrier or is it one above / one below?

I replaced mine as they came off, one on top one underneath, but could have been changed at some time? Not sure why you would need two ? Mine has done 45k or possabley 75k if original and I think they may be original like that so must be ok I suppose. .

Edited by ghand, 12 April 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#5 VX_Geoff

VX_Geoff

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

.... you may want to get a geo set up later ? But it's what I did. Place a laser spirit level flat across the hub resting on the centre boss and shine the dot onto the wheel arch and mark with a felt pen, your not to fussed with up and down position it's obviously the left to right movement you want to put back exactly as it was.  

Hi M8

Sounds like you no wot your doing with the geo stuff.  thumbsup

I was going to do it maself but dont no the best way.  Have you got a gyde a cud use?

Geoff

#6 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Nice one jeff

what great use of the english language 

#7 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

Try this Geoff http://wiki.seloc.or...Rig_(Home_Made)

#8 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

.... you may want to get a geo set up later ? But it's what I did. Place a laser spirit level flat across the hub resting on the centre boss and shine the dot onto the wheel arch and mark with a felt pen, your not to fussed with up and down position it's obviously the left to right movement you want to put back exactly as it was.  

Hi M8   Sounds like you no wot your doing with the geo stuff.  thumbsup I was going to do it maself but dont no the best way.  Have you got a gyde a cud use?   Geoff
I just put mine back to exactly the same position it was in before replacing the links fella. So sorry can't help you. Think your best having it done by a decent place with the correct equipment as any slight error makes the things un drivable. It's more critical on the VX than normal sheds I think.

#9 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Nice one jeff what great use of the english language 

:lol:

#10 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Remove the 17mm nut holding the calliper,..... Fitting is just the reverse. Anyone any better things to add feel free as I'm no expert

I'd like to add that you should always tighten the 17mm nut holding the caliper when re-fitting or you'll never make it up to Snowdonia, on a bank holiday weekend, but instead have your mates wandering up and down the road looking for a missing bolt.  Isn't that right Gordon?   :poke:

#11 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

#12 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Remove the 17mm nut holding the calliper,..... Fitting is just the reverse. Anyone any better things to add feel free as I'm no expert

I'd like to add that you should always tighten the 17mm nut holding the caliper when re-fitting or you'll never make it up to Snowdonia, on a bank holiday weekend, but instead have your mates wandering up and down the road looking for a missing bolt.  Isn't that right Gordon?   :poke:     :lol:
:yeahthat: And wouldn't have spent ages in the garage on a lovely sunny afternoon looking for a replacement bolt :poke: :lol:

#13 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'd like to add that you should always tighten the 17mm nut holding the caliper when re-fitting or you'll never make it up to Snowdonia, on a bank holiday weekend, but instead have your mates wandering up and down the road looking for a missing bolt.  Isn't that right Gordon?   :poke:     :lol:
:yeahthat: And wouldn't have spent ages in the garage on a lovely sunny afternoon looking for a replacement bolt :poke: :lol:
You forget one bolt, you shag one sheep. :lol: Hey you pair, who had his VX out and who couldn't be arsed ? :lol: well most of it :lol:

#14 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

You forget one bolt, you shag one sheep. :lol: Hey you pair, who had his VX out and who couldn't be arsed ? :lol: well most of it :lol:

No sheep shagging for me. Sophie the dog would have got jealous.  :lol:

I had the VX out earlier in the week.  But didn't want to get it dirty in Wales with all that sheep poo on the roads. :lol:  

#15 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

No sheep shagging for me. Sophie the dog would have got jealous.  :lol:   I had the VX out earlier in the week.  But didn't want to get it dirty in Wales with all that sheep poo on the roads. :lol:  
Also you may run over the odd bolt :lol:

#16 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Have you been out for a run today Usane Hand ? :lol:

#17 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Gordon...................this thread is great.  Pity the thread on your bolt wasn't as good.   :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users