• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ratboiler

ratboiler

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Over to you guys, what do you think of this does it really work, is it worth the money?

Comments please.

Details

Drive to a New Beat with DAB2000

Transform your old, tired car radio into a state of the art DAB Digital Radio with DAB2000, an easy to install, cost effective way to enjoy your favourite digital radio stations through analogue car radio.

Posted ImageSo Simple To Install

The flexible installation options of the DAB2000 digital radio interface enables easy set up regardless of car make and model. No complex cabling to your existing car audio system, simply place DAB2000 into your vehicles boot or glove space, install the high performance active antenna, position the control box and tune into crystal clear DAB Digital Radio through your car speakers.

Keep a Track On What Station You're Listening To

Find your favourite DAB digital radio station using the lightweight remote control, which can be fitted to your dashboard, while the station name, can be displayed on your existing car radio LCD screen*, perfect for keeping track of what you’re tuned in to.

#2 Hammy of hamhouse

Hammy of hamhouse

• Pip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Cars Hifi. Ex Westfield owner.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I wouldn't bother , I have it in my Focus and never use it - half the time you can't get a signal, then it drops in and out

Edited by Hammy of hamhouse, 29 March 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#3 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

It's all down to the aerial, and sadly the vx is dire for mounting a good one to :-( you need a 12-24" square metal base

#4 paulk

paulk

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

As Slind says the VX being plastic is crap for mounting aerials to.

However if you mount a proper DAB aerial (3 wires for power, FM and DAB and an upgraded head unit (like kenwood bt73DAB) you can improve the reception a lot. 

Depends on how much you want better reception/ sound and how much effort and cash you want to throw at it

Paul

#5 TubbyNorman

TubbyNorman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

No DAB on the continent, no-one wants it, one day it will be as dead as VHS etc. FM will still be around, Europe wide.

#6 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

I've fitted a DAB radio to Mrs P's E30.  Utterly brilliant.  Not only is the reception massively improved, we have a wider choice of stations and no wavelength changes around the country.

Kerrang was stolen from FM by Planet Rock, but now I have both and another rock station I'd never heard of before.

Someone on the Hoon last year had it in the VX?

#7 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

I fitted a dab radio to the vx as all I listen to is 6 music. It's great BUT it does depend on coverage. I have turn it off half way up the A19 as the signal drops off. But then I just plug my phone in an play some choons so a good investment as far as I'm concerned.

#8 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Just taken delivery of a new Suzuki Swift Sport with a DAB radio and, just like Pidgeon / Partridge says, its brilliant.  Haven't noticed it dropping out much and even when it does its no more annoying that having to retune FM as you drive out of range of your favourite (limited) stations.    So much choice! 

#9 james.a

james.a

Proud member of the Northants Pedantic Crew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Interests:Driving Trigger's broom since March 2010

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Just taken delivery of a new Suzuki Swift Sport with a DAB radio and, just like Pidgeon / Partridge says, its brilliant.  Haven't noticed it dropping out much and even when it does its no more annoying that having to retune FM as you drive out of range of your favourite (limited) stations.    So much choice! 

Absolute 70s radio reception ok then mate?

#10 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Absolute 70s radio reception ok then mate?

Not tried that one yet.   :P

#11 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

I am mad for Absolute radio and it's various permutations these days. Seriously considering DAB for my van, but the ariel on a facelift Caddy is in the OS mirror. Would this use the side of the van as a ground plane or would it be sh*t? :lol:

Edited by Claws, 02 April 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#12 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Odd as the cheese eating surrender monkeys are pushing to have dab as mandatory fit to all cars asap....

No DAB on the continent, no-one wants it, one day it will be as dead as VHS etc. FM will still be around, Europe wide.

#13 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Odd as the cheese eating surrender monkeys are pushing to have dab as mandatory fit to all cars asap....  

Plenty of DAB all over Europe. Just need to make sure your receiver is DAB+ compatible. I've had DAB in the VX since not being able to listen to the British Grand Prix on the way back from the first Anglesey National. Works a treat (at least with a decent external aerial). A lot of the stations sound sh!t and overly compressed but luckily they're mostly sh*t 80's or Rock stations that I'd rather not hear anyway. Five Live Sports Extra is the only reason I have it.

#14 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

OK, so what best for the aerial in the VX?  Does in need line of sight or can we earth it to the chassis - put it under the boot floor for example?

#15 tink

tink

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

OK, so what best for the aerial in the VX?  Does in need line of sight or can we earth it to the chassis - put it under the boot floor for example?

I have the Autoleads DAB-AA1 aerial fitted to the rear screen (behind the passenger headrest) in the VX. An active and grounded aerial is essential and this conveniently links on to the roll bar.

The cable is then run inside the plastic trim past the seatbelt, under the sill cover and into the end of the dash to the headunit. This antenna comes with a separate power lead but the headunit I use has both power and RF on the single SMB connector so that 'spare' wire can be removed at the antenna amplifier.

Without the aerial properly grounded, signal was awful. Having spent the time to do it properly, its excellent. I have another system installed in the Golf which I prefer (as I designed it!) but 6Music in the VX is great!  

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

you can hide them in the bodywork, but they need to be intended for horizontal mounting etc.

Just needs a very very good ground plane, which can be achieved with tinfoil under the GRP, or just mount very near the tub.

And example was with the huayra. the FM was poor on the intended antenna then we connected just the base of a normal car aerial and touched the bolt on the space frame at the front, voila perfect radio. Same will go for DAB.

DAB blending is cool where the device automatically finds the FM equivalent of what you are listneing to so if the DAB signal drops the one from the FM is time shifted and used to fill in the gaps :)

The sooner FM (as is) is abandonded the better as we can then have HD radio on the FM spectrum

#17 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

I saw an elise this week that had copper tape stuck all over the inside of the engine lid and the aerial mounted touching it. Apparently reception is greatly improved. Could do similar to the inside of the vx roll bar cover?

#18 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

I replaced the standard roof aerial with a Kinetic aerial that looks almost identical to the standard fit aerial. Works a treat.

#19 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

DAB blending is cool where the device automatically finds the FM equivalent of what you are listneing to so if the DAB signal drops the one from the FM is time shifted and used to fill in the gaps :)

The Philips head unit in my car drops back from DAB 5Live to MW 5Live as well. Not sure whether that's by happy accident or by design though. :unsure:

#20 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

The Philips head unit in my car drops back from DAB 5Live to MW 5Live as well. Not sure whether that's by happy accident or by design though. :unsure:

Probably accident, in that you leave it all tuned to the same thing :lol:

For antennas, you simply cannot go wrong with a hirshmann http://www.dabonwhee...car_aerial.html

I know its £100 for a poxy aerial, but its the tits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users