Dab Radio Conversion

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

For antennas, you simply cannot go wrong with a hirshmann http://www.dabonwhee...car_aerial.html

I know its £100 for a poxy aerial, but its the tits

I got that initially but it looked odd when I installed it. So got the Kinetic 6001 instead, which looked more OEM size and rake wise. 

If I still had my Mk2 GTi 16v, that Hirschmann would be on there in a flash. :D

#22 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Well you know what you need to buy this weekend then..... :lol:

#23 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

I was hoping that the oem aerial would do, my stereo's still in its box and I've had it since xmas

Edited by Bumblebee, 03 April 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#24 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well you know what you need to buy this weekend then..... :lol:

Funnily enough, I've been toying with the idea for a few months now and have been keeping a watching eye for a decent base car. I gave my last one away as I couldn't be arsed to get the alternator fixed and just left it parked up in my parking bay at our apartment. Bitterly regret doing that. :beat:

#25 paulk

paulk

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

I've got a kinetic6004 aerial on my vx - reception is great very slightly more upright (about 6 degrees) than the orig but not really noticeable. My kenwood head unit automatically retunes to FM if the dab drops out

#26 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

I've just taken my ariel off as it needs replacing. Did you have to replace the leads when you fitted the kinetic ariel? If so, how did you run the leads?

#27 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

Yes, and 'with difficulty'

Follow the wires back to under the dash and replace, down N/S of rear screen, behind speaker panel and through the centre channel.  It's seats out and roll bar cover off.

#28 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Thank you, unfortunately the two outer nuts on my roll bar cover are rusted to virtually nothing. Not sure if I should or can take the roll bar cover off. Might have to get a normal ariel and fit the windscreen DAB ariel.

#29 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

For radio only would you not be better with a cheap contract data only sim card, and an old mobile with a headphone jack.  

Into an onboard amp to drive speakers, with the constraints of the VX a 12v bluetooth amp should be adequate signal quality reducing the cabling headaches.

Would have the advantage that could use something like IFTTT to download streams / podcasts when home (connected to WiFi) to reduce the sim load.  Android device with SD card expansion allows plenty of content.

#30 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

I am currently using my phone for DAB, the 3g coverage isn't a patch on the DAB coverage. My Leon only has a factory rear screen aerial and I get good coverage.

#31 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

I fitted an alpine nav with DAB into my old golf which came with a screen antenna and got almost no reception at all. I thought the unit was broken at one point! Fitted a kinetic 6001 and the signal was rock solid so would recommend. To the original topic, I wouldn't bother with that dab200, for 15 or so more you can get an alpine utb93 with DAB included, and even time correction. Crazy level of tech for the money!

#32 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

I don't know what the dab200 is? I've already bought a DAB stereo with a alpine screen aerial. I'll fit it at the weekend, if it's rubbish I'll get the proper roof aerial and employ the batman to get my roll bar cover off as I'm pretty certain I won't be able to get it off.

#33 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

I don't know what the dab200 is?

Ratboilers question on the first thread post. They cost 135 but 150 gets you a DAB head unit.

#34 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

I fitted an alpine nav with DAB into my old golf which came with a screen antenna and got almost no reception at all

My experience from two cars is that the aerial earth is critical.  It the windscreen mount has an earth, it must go to a chassis earth.

#35 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Agreed, it was earthed to the A pillar which I scraped the paint from for a good connection. Made no difference :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users