Broken Gaz Shock !

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

I have not followed the other threads about Gaz shock problems so am not really aware of the issues

A VX came into AmD on Monday for an exhaust and remap. We raised it up on the ramp to begin the work and as a matter of course our Tecs always have a quick look around the car for anything untoward.

We found this, the nearside front shock had separated, Our customer said he fitted them a year ago. 

I don't want to start a slanging of Gaz as this might be an isolated failure I just want to make owners aware 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by ianrm, 29 July 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#2 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Crickey. That shock does look pretty dirty for one being on there for only 1 year. Maybe they are a lot older and weren't new when fitted? I'm amazed the owner didn't notice anything driving it like that.

#3 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

I know I will get it in the neck (again) for saying this but it has to be said...

this is not the first and will not be the last, by a long way.

you don't have to look far on any forum to find pictures of failed Gaz shocks, there are threads about it on Selcock, Postonheads (TVR forums), BMW forums, etc, even here on VX220:

Posted Image

http://www.vx220.org...ld-mk-i-cracks/

now, I am sure Warren will soon be here to tell you they are all fine and dandy, but come on guys, this has been going on for years, and the threads/pictures keep showing up.

Problem I have with all this is this, how long will it be before a post accident investigator spots one of these, then leans on the powers that be to make it illegal to fit non-manufacturer approved dampers or the like and thus kill off the legitimate aftermarket in one stroke?

my comments to Gaz are will you either learn to use quality materials/design and make safe dampers or stop making them at all... (dampers are classed as a safety critical part).

do you have no collective conscience? do you not care about the welfare of your customers?

#4 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Another forum member has just had the piston snap on a pair of Gaz Golds. I'll leave it up to him if he wants to post details. Not good.

#5 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

This is a Joke if I was given a set of Gaz I would put them in the bin end of ,to many failures everything on them just seems to fall apart not good . Come on People just don't buy them they are utter sh*t !!!!

#6 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Looks like galvanic reaction between the steel body and the aluminium base, result is the weaker aluminum section is forced out until it breaks. 

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Man, I really should swap mine out.  Looks like a job for the weekend.

#8 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

this is not the first and will not be the last, by a long way.

that is the third vx220 Gaz failure in two weeks   :mellow:

Samjeev, Wheelybro and now this one

Edited by vocky, 30 July 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#9 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Think I'm right in saying it was some 8 years ago the stories if failed gaz dampers first came to my attention... As lee said, they are basically fit for the bin.

#10 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

In Gaz's defence (and only slightly as 3 of my 2 year old shocks had failed).  They swapped out my GGP for a brand new set of GGP2 for less than the cost of a refurb on the GGP because they know there is a flaw with them, so customer service wise they are good (shame their product doesn't match...).  Are the failures GGP or GGP2? As the GGP2 is meant to be an improved design....

#11 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

As Vocky mentioned above the piston rod on our front driver's side shock recently snapped while going over a dip in the road.

Our shocks were 18 month old GGP2's. I can't fault the service as it was very easy to get in touch and arrange replacement of both front shocks which I have already received, fitted and tested the new shocks which looked to have had the whole lower body of the shock replaced (and in a funky new black colour) but I have to agree it does make you worry that it could happen again, enough to make you regret the purchase if money wasn't such a large factor in the choice (yes i know i know - don't go cheap on a such an important part)

#12 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

I find it hard to believe those are 1 year old (if new when fitted) unless they use it as a daily in all weather. Mine with all last summer driving and not cleaning them have very little dirt.

However it is worrying how many similar incidents have occurred in the last few weeks. Customer service is fine but it shouldn't be there to address a problem with the product. As Scuffers says if it causes a fatality no amount of customer service will help that individual.

Not getting into the old shock debate but there are plenty of manufacturers that produce shocks for the vx and they don't seem to have such a consistent rate of failure (at least publicised on here).

#13 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

Regardless of their great customer service and willingness to trade/upgrade, this shouldn't happen in the first place.

Edited by ArticMonkey, 30 July 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#14 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

QC seems to be a ongoing saga with Gaz, I was told by one of their old distributors they had new people in place to resolve manufacturing issues, Makes you think !

#15 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Even my shocks didnt look that encrusted in shite when I was doing circa 25K a year :lol:

#16 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

QC seems to be a ongoing saga with Gaz, I was told by one of their old distributors they had new people in place to resolve manufacturing issues, Makes you think !

to be blunt, I don't think it;s a QC problem so much as a poor design and materials problem.

when you consider the environment these have to work in, you have to be very careful what materials you use and in what way, fatigue is a well known/understood issue and should be thoroughly worked out in design to be avoided.

the shock-loads on a damper are massive, anything that's not 100% will get stresses and fracture

looking at the original picture, the base of the tube is threaded into the ali end-cap down onto an O ring, my question would be what the thread bottoms out against and is that hard enough to stop it being deformed by the tube over time, leading to slack in the thread and then constant movement leading to the eventual failure of the end cap, not helped by the use of steel against aluminum in a component that's going to have a reasonable working temperature range.

#17 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

totally different failure in this thread

http://www.vx220.org...ucer/?p=1715404

Edited by vocky, 30 July 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#18 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

to be blunt, I don't think it;s a QC problem so much as a poor design and materials problem.   when you consider the environment these have to work in, you have to be very careful what materials you use and in what way, fatigue is a well known/understood issue and should be thoroughly worked out in design to be avoided.t   the shock-loads on a damper are massive, anything that's not 100% will get stresses and fracture   looking at the original picture, the base of the tube is threaded into the ali end-cap down onto an O ring, my question would be what the thread bottoms out against and is that hard enough to stop it being deformed by the tube over time, leading to slack in the thread and then constant movement leading to the eventual failure of the end cap, not helped by the use of steel against aluminum in a component that's going to have a reasonable working temperature range.
I thought QC started with supply of items in stage 1 to final product for sale.

#19 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

totally different failure in this thread

http://www.vx220.org...ucer/?p=1715404

This is unfortunately the exact same problem I had

#20 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

These failures are very worrying. Has anyone had any kind of reaction about the failures ? From Gaz

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 30 July 2014 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users