First Experience Of Vx220 Thanks To Ollie2007 And Rudy

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jinxy220

jinxy220

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thanks goes out to ollie2007 & Rudy for giving me my first taste of both a supercharged and turbo vx220. Thanks to the friendly forum, both guys kindly offered their knowledge of the vx and ride in both their motors. I currently drive a Evo and have had various fast cars and superbikes but loved the experience of both vx220s and the pace was shocking. Was great to experience both supercharger and turbo variants with their different power delivery. Loved the supercharger wine and instant power but also the savage boost of the turbo!! Love these little go karts!!

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Well done guys thumbsup Tbh you probably done what most should do and arrange a meet to see different types. thumbsup

#3 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

What have you decided then? You going to get a SC or turbo?

#4 mxorvx

mxorvx

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

I would love to try a turbo, I currently have a SC'd and love the instant power.

#5 jinxy220

jinxy220

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

What have you decided then? You going to get a SC or turbo?

Still undecided. The original plan was to go NA, get familiar with the car, do a few track days then potentially SC. However, after being in a turbo and SC I am worried a basic NA will feel slow. But then again, maybe not as the driving experience of being so low, no power steering etc will make up for the lack of power?

Edited by jinxy220, 23 August 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#6 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Sounds like you'de be more suited to a s/c or modified tubby if your use to fast bikes etc

#7 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:ballet,opera,rare stamps,steam locomotives,bird watching...
    REALLY??

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

get some insurance quotes on an N.A then on a S.C N.A....... see how much they'll rob you of charge you for the mod.....

a modded tubby will be less, as you can only declare the visible modifications....unless they check your ecu map(which is unlikely to happen) they will never know if its standard tune or stage1/2/3/4/5/6........

i test drove an N.A before buying, just to see how hard it was to get in and out of, as i knew i wanted a turbo and wouldnt be tempted to buy the N.A

good luck with your purchase whichever variant you go for thumbsup

#8 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Sounds like you'de be more suited to a s/c or modified tubby if your use to fast bikes etc

:yeahthat: absolutely spot on aimy. With the modded Evo and his bike experience an na just wouldn't cut it. Tbh, Paul's stage 4 Turdo was probably more suited to him than my Sc :( As cocopops said, best to experience a few different vx flavours before buying one, something others should do more of. Glad you enjoyed the meet and drive tho Jinxy thumbsup.

#9 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

As I said to Jinxy I was an evo owner and had pretty much the whole range and modded every one of them, after about 12 months I would then sell them as I got bored with lack of proper feed back and also knowing the evo would have all the gizmos to get me out of most potential issues. The raw feel,driving position and feedback you get from a VX is why I have kept the car and will do for a while yet, Glad you enjoyed the trip out, me and Rudy watched the video of the trips when we got back. If you take 1 piece of advise from our meet the please make it " Take someone with you who truly understands these cars to check it over before parting with the cash"

#10 jinxy220

jinxy220

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, both your motors threw a spanner in the works of my plan!! I think I might just be disappointed with a plain NA now. Have to save up some more pennies and get a turbo or one that has already been SC. Will keep my eye on here for anything that comes up...

#11 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Turbo do come up more than SC cars as people who do SC conversions tend to keep them You have just missed out on a SC car in the for sale section nice orange one Would you consider doing your own conversion ie buying a NA and doing it yourself

#12 jinxy220

jinxy220

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Turbo do come up more than SC cars as people who do SC conversions tend to keep them You have just missed out on a SC car in the for sale section nice orange one Would you consider doing your own conversion ie buying a NA and doing it yourself

I don't have the skillset/time/patience to do the job myself but I was considering buying a NA to begin with then paying to have someone else do it further down the line. I am just after a fun car to take on track/weekend drive that is a nice contrast to the Evo and more involved/challenging to drive.

#13 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

You can also turbo charge the 2.2 NA

#14 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Details here http://www.obdtuner....c.php?f=11&t=16 400bhp

#15 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Look forward to having another in the South West. Numbers are slowly increasing

#16 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Working on the VX ,alcohol, drunk street fighting with Rudy. life doesn't get much better than that

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

Have you looked at any cars yet?

#17 jinxy220

jinxy220

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Have you looked at any cars yet?

Not in the flesh, haven't found anything local-ish. Understand you have to travel to find best example but don't want to travel miles for something that doesn't tick all my boxes. On here, pistonheads, eBay and autotrader daily though!

#18 ollie2007

ollie2007

Sir drink a lot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Cars starting to come up for sale now, winters coming so they tend to be a lot cheaper

#19 jinxy220

jinxy220

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

I haven't seen any yet! Do you both take them off the road over winter? Just thinking if I buy one will probably lock it up somewhere until spring...

#20 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Yup, after a mahoosive 2k miles this year it's going to be wrapped up in the garage at the end of this month. If you get one and are short on space let me know mate. I've got a triple garage that's half empty and can squeeze another vx in for winter if you get one :D

Edited by Rudy, 12 October 2014 - 09:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users