• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:55 AM

Right let me start by saying that we don't get on with our neighbours. We had a dispute over an extension they built.

We came home tonight from holiday, and found that the side of our house and passage way is full of scaffolding which our neighbour has had erected in our absence to do some restoration work to their roof. Our passage way has now got scaffold poles running across it, which are in breach of health and safety, no signage, warning tape and as the passage is not lit no temp lighting. Furthermore the scaffold structure is being supported by our flank wall ie the poles are in contact with our building.

We have work starting on our house on Monday and the passage way is required for access. My neighbour is currently away on holiday but is now aware of the situation. We have sent an email to our neighbours explaining that we want the scaffolding removed immediately and that any delays to our works as a result of the scaffolding will need to be compensated.

After all the problems we had with their extension I cannot believe that they've done this, to say I'm fuming is an understatement hence the post at this time.

C

#2 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:59 AM

I would contact your household insurer with whom you are likely to have legal cover and get some decent advice from them unless someone on here is legally qualified. My mum had a dispute recently regarding a parity wall - work being started, no parity wall agreement, they were even going to take bricks out of here house to key the new brickwork in to. Knowing who you need to speak to is the best first starting point and then I would assume you will need to take the stance of keep everything documented (obvious advice which you are doing anyway). Good luck, I don't envy your situation, I hope you can get it resolved.

#3 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

Sorry should have mentioned, and you've probably already done this but if not, take some photos!

#4 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

Like mentioned before take pictures, if you don't get a reply from the email from next door can't you speak with the builders next door and demand that the scaffolding is taken down as you require access to your maintenance works. How long are next door away for? The last thing you want though is to make the relationship any worse but I really sympathise with you and I hope you get it sorted.

#5 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

Photos will be taken. Diplomatic relations are at rock bottom I'm afraid to say. Our neighbour has a habit of telling you something to keep you sweet and then doing something that he knows would have pissed you off but by that time is to late. He has contacted us and said that he told the builders specifically not to go on our property. From past experience this is almost certainly a lie. We are going to ask the builder directly why he has come onto our property. Thanks for the house insurance tip, we'll try them this morning. In the light of day we can now see that the scaffolding is right outside our en suite window so they can look right in when they're working. I feel like taking a spanner to it and taking the lot down the scrappy!

#6 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

From what you say, you can almost guarantee that the builder has been told it'd be ok to set up on your property. Speak to them and let them know in no uncertain terms that the scaffold needs to be down by the end of the day. No need to be arsey about it; the builder is just the other innocent party in this. Are you concerned with how bad your relationship is with next door? Does it affect your life at all?

#7 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

I feel like taking a spanner to it and taking the lot down the scrappy!

Unfortunately that's probably the last thing you should do. Does sound like its a bit petty on behalf of the neighbour, but don't get dragged into it. Remembering that if/when you sell your house you will need to declare any fallings out....

#8 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

Posted Image

From the frnt of the house

Posted Image

And one of me, looking totally pissed off.

It is sad that we've fallen out with our neighbour but he's lied to us on several occasions which has caused us grief and loss of money in solicitors bills. I'm afraid i can't deal with liars, it would not matter if he came to me on bended knees - he's still a liar who i will never be able to trust. He's also a grade A fuckwit but that's another story! It doesn't affect my life except when things like this happen, but it would be just nice to have neighbours you could trust. Furthermore, in his email there was not a hint of an apology.

#9 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

It needs to go, now.

#10 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Cant you at least get them to move the cross poles up above head height ?

Edited by kieranmcc, 30 August 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#11 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

From what I understand from a relatives experience of this you have to be given a certain amount of notice this is happening so works dont clash etc. but ultimately you have to allow them to encroach onto your property. You're not going to resolve this in a few days I wouldnt have thought, a visit/call to a solicitor first thing Monday to get some solid advice is your next move.

Edited by fiveoclock, 30 August 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#12 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

TBH looking at the photos if you had been given the proper notice its not actaully that bad, I've seen/experienced worse.

#13 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Blimey. That's a serious case of trespass. I can see why your so pissed off if the cheeky fcker didn't ask! I'd have the builder take that down. As previously said, it's not their fault, probably told it was ok and clearly it's not. Your neighbours a bit of a bully then?

#14 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Thats not good .The thing is they could of easily made the scaffold narrower , and the poles touching you property i would rip them out or cut them off. Thats a joke .

#15 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Its a tough one, I have similar at moment but in much bigger proportions.

1. Nasty neighbour has put up stuff without telling you, you get pissed off.

Question to ask is how long will the scaffold be up and youwill  be pissed of for, 1 day, 1 week 1 month, get confirmation, andde stress and accept that are twats around, why get stressed up

2. If you needed to do work on you house, you would ask nasty neighbour who would proabbaly say no, so what do you do, get scaffold on your side or just do it anyway and do titi for tat, nasty neighbour will always be a nasty neighbour

3. So get advice, is he reonvating or building, if the latter has he planning permission, search local district planning council website

4. In meantime keep on builders good side, even as if scafolding can be kept up after they have finsished so it pisses of neighbour, superglue the stuff or make access into your land impossible, security lock your back gate so access is impossible. i,.e. make it as difficult as possible

5.Get on with your life and let sad bastards be sad bastards

HH

#16 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Yep, scaffold company need to come out with an angle grinder and take off all of the excess on those horizontal poles at the very least. Your neighbour sounds like a grade A twat. 

#17 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I'm not a 'hard man' type or owt but if my neighbour was repeatedly taking the p!ss like that it would get out of hand very quickly.

#18 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

angle grinder = jobs done  :saw:

#19 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

#20 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Oooo is Chris in the SAS? Mate so sorry to read this again. Bunch of doodahs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users