44 replies to this topic

#1 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

The symptons are:

Side lights work fine. Sometimes when I turn the headlights on, all the lights turn off (dash backlight as well). Then if you turn the headlights off, side lights turn on again and dash lights up again.

Both dipped and main beam are affected, but flashing main beam still works.

It can happen when driving over bumps, possible loose connection?

What I've checked:

Taken out the switch panel, sprayed some contact cleaner on each switch, replaced. Could the headlight switch still be a problem?

Checked fuses in the front - all OK (as the lights work half the time, it can't be the fuses right?)

Checked relays next to fusebox. Pulled them out and switched them around (tested one with the horn, then put that one in the headlight place). Is it possible that relays can work intermittently or can they be ruled out.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Hoping it's not a massive wiring fault, and it's getting darker each day...

#2 Tuuurtle

Tuuurtle

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

The light switches are interchangeable (well, the sidelight and headlight switches are at least) so you can try swapping them over to see if that makes a difference.

It could be worthwhile taking your headlamp out of the clam (13mm socket off the top of my head, be careful not to drop anything into the clam or you won't see it again without a cut up hand...). The connecter for the headlamp to the harness can sometimes cause intermittent light faults, although not usually as you are experiencing. My headlight bulb would work intermittently and this was caused by a the headlight / harness connector. A quick pull apart, clean, and reassemble could sort it.

Be careful to hold your headlights as you remove the fixing as it could try and make a bid for the floor and that would be an expensive mistake...

#3 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

Thanks.

The problem is that when the lights go out, it's all the lights. So, would this rule out the wiring on the front headlights, because surely this wouldn't be affecting the rear lights too?

#4 Horace

Horace

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Have you recently fitted HIDs?

#5 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Have you recently fitted HIDs?

Nope. The previous owner fit new bulbs just before I got it I think. (think they are standard bulbs, not that bright)  

Edited by james_ly, 22 September 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#6 Tuuurtle

Tuuurtle

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

Hmm yeah that's a bit more complicated than any issue I have had. I haven't heard of the rear lights failing at the same time. Hopefully someone else has!

#7 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

Think I can rule out the switch now. I just swapped the sidelight and headlight switches and it made no difference. Sidelights fine, then when you press headlamp switch they all go out. Saves £40 on a new switch at least...

#8 Tuuurtle

Tuuurtle

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Just for future reference if you need it, you can buy Vectra B Aircon switches that are the same switch. Shouldn't cost you more than £10 on ebay. You will need to swap the switch caps over from whatever light switch you change on to the new air con switch base, but it's a 2 min job with a little flat head screw driver to prise the old switch caps off and then click them into place.

#9 Tuuurtle

Tuuurtle

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Perhaps it's some soft of voltage drop when you press the headlight switch? Does it happen if you only push the headlight switch and don't go near the side lights first? Or do the side lights have to be on first?

#10 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Faulty earth somewhere would be my guess. Rear lights will be on the same circuit as the sidelights &/or dipped beam.

#11 mofish69

mofish69

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

Mine had the same problem as yours.I swapped the relays over and haven't had any troubles since.Could be an intermittent problem.

#12 Bootdog

Bootdog

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

I had similar issues, it was a dodgy connection on the back of the dipped bulbs. The heat from the bulb would tarnish the spade connector causing loads of weird affects. You can try the following: - disconnect and reconnect the spades. - replace the bulbs with HIDs to fix the problem for good

#13 ant1

ant1

• PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

Yep had same problem, check all connections on wires at back of lights, you may have some connectors/wires that have gone a bit black/green. Clean them up or possibly cut back on the wire and re do connector. My light did all sorts of wierd stuff.

#14 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

Perhaps it's some soft of voltage drop when you press the headlight switch? Does it happen if you only push the headlight switch and don't go near the side lights first? Or do the side lights have to be on first?

Strangely, there might be something in that. I've been more gentle with the switches and haven't seen the problem in the last 2 days (turn on sidelights first, wait 2 secs, then turn on headlights).

Could be coincidence though!  

#15 Tuuurtle

Tuuurtle

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

You don't need to turn the side lights on first. Using the headlight switch turns the side lights on too. You only need to use the side light switch if you just want sidelights. I only ever use the headlight switch as I turn the headlights on everytime I drive the car.

#16 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

You don't need to turn the side lights on first. Using the headlight switch turns the side lights on too. You only need to use the side light switch if you just want sidelights. I only ever use the headlight switch as I turn the headlights on everytime I drive the car.

Well, I've followed this advice and so far it's been OK. Doesn't really explain the problem I was having, but glad it's working!  

#17 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

The problem came back... severe flickering when driving over bumps.

However we traced the problem to the headlight relay -  tapping it with the lights on caused them to flicker. So the temp fix was to swap the headlight relay with the horn, fingers crossed it holds together!

#18 Horace

Horace

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

Can someone tell me where the headlight relay is, and which one I can swap it with?

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

next to fuse box, front left wheel arch liner

#20 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

Can someone tell me where the headlight relay is, and which one I can swap it with?

This helper sheet tells you:

http://www.vx220.org..._151_139861.jpg

I swapped the intermittent headlight relay for the horn one. IIRC the horn is the one on the end towards the back of the car and the headlight is 2 down from that (but I'm not 100% sure on this)  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users