• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

Well since you've opened a massive can of worms, I'll open another and make a definitive statement Forget A048s, R888s and ZZRs and any other supposed "sticky" tyre just for road use. You can't get enough heat into them on the road to derive any benefit from them 😛😛

Edited by PaulCP, 04 March 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#22 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Well since you've opened a massive can of worms, I'll open another and make a definitive statement Forget A048s, R888s and ZZRs and any other supposed "sticky" tyre just for road use. You can't get enough heat into them on the road to derive any benefit from them 😛😛

Is that someone who thinks like me, that's odd :lol: I always go for the best wet tyre as it's always fecking wet and if you can't drive fast enough with road tyres in the dry on the road you going a bit mad. Plus I get sick of pulling over and waiting for high power cars with my full 147 bhp when the roads are slightly damp :lol: S001 on the back of mine seem ok. ( in the wet )

#23 chez

chez

• PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, DJing, football, cricket, golf....... The stars

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

RE050's on my na rear wheels (although I have some RE040's on the way) decent enough tyre imo

#24 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:12 AM

Is that someone who thinks like me, that's odd :lol: I always go for the best wet tyre as it's always fecking wet and if you can't drive fast enough with road tyres in the dry on the road you going a bit mad. Plus I get sick of pulling over and waiting for high power cars with my full 147 bhp when the roads are slightly damp :lol: S001 on the back of mine seem ok. ( in the wet )
Agreed for us people who use our cars every day choosing dry weather tyres would be madness - even if some people think it is not cool to run all weather tyres. Folks tracking are clearly going to have other priorities. PH

#25 Jezza123

Jezza123

• Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Cars !

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

So I have TD 1.2's on my NA which only ever goes out in the dry - what tyres should I have ? Was planning on going for a semi slick tyre when I change later this year but now it sounds like that's the wrong thing.

#26 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

:yeahthat: ...and if you are driving the right way to get heat into them, frankly you shouldn't be cos that kind of driving on the road is dangerous.

Also semi slicks are usually awful in the wet and wear quicker than a road tyre as the compound is softer.

In short, why would you run semi slicks exclusively on the road ?

#27 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

So I have TD 1.2's on my NA which only ever goes out in the dry - what tyres should I have ? Was planning on going for a semi slick tyre when I change later this year but now it sounds like that's the wrong thing.

On that one nice warm dry day we have go for the semi slicks. :lol: Seriously if you only ever drive on nice dry roads you don't need proper all weather tyres but us every day drives do or some of us do.

#28 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:06 PM

And if it rains when you're out? Or you have to man up and take it out in all weathers? :lol:

#29 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

And if it rains when you're out? Or you have to man up and take it out in all weathers? :lol:
Pootle home no probs they still work ok. I've been out with loads with them on and they all eventually catch up when it starts pissing down :lol: actually they aren't that bad

#30 Mr Apex

Mr Apex

• PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Karting, climbing, skiing, boxing, cycling

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

I've just bought 4 lovely Federal 595 RS-Rs. Really looking forward to seeing how they compare with previous T1Rs which were OK, but a little bit rubbish on track. 

#31 Potatoes

Potatoes

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

I've just bought 4 lovely Federal 595 RS-Rs. Really looking forward to seeing how they compare with previous T1Rs which were OK, but a little bit rubbish on track. 

Same with me, looking forward to trying them out next week and on track on the 15th March. Reportedly a good tyre, let's see :)

#32 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

My car came with 888's fitted, they are complete dog egg on the road. As soon as they have worn out I'll be putting RSR's on the car. Great on the track, competent on the road, usable in the wet, cheap as chips.

#33 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

I guess this means that you've finally got your plastic roller skate back on the road?! Hoorah ! LOL

#34 Mr Apex

Mr Apex

• PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Karting, climbing, skiing, boxing, cycling

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:36 PM

Can't climb for toffee, so resorting to playing with cars instead!! Have fun breaking the dyno!

#35 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

any "summer" tyres will be fine

#36 furtive

furtive

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

Ok, back to my can of worms thread....

My car is in for it's MOT tomorrow but I've just checked the rear tyres and I think they are right on the legal limit (fronts seem ok for now)

I assume these the correct rear tyres for standard wheels (it's what it currently has):

http://pistonheads.t...-17-90-W--re040

#37 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:55 PM

Probably, but if you want to be anal and get the VX specific compound, then you want BZ compound tyres and also check the DOT code:

Got some info from Bridgestone.... The correct O.E tyres for both 2.2 & VXT are as follows.. Fronts - RE040BZ 175/55 R17 - 81W DOT CAD (DOT CFE/ DOT CJC is old stock...) Rears - RE040BZ 225/45 R17 - 90W DOT CFE (DOT CJC is old stock) Cheers Nick

Edited by Wolfstone, 02 June 2015 - 10:56 PM.

#38 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:02 PM

of mroe mild concern is the VX wiki is gone... that had a rather good guide for sorting OPcom and recoding keys IIRC

That was about the only thing out of the four pages of info on there that was of any use, in the first place. :wacko:   Wasn't Framauro the man behind it?
I have the alarm remote pairing stuff saved as a sticky note on the desktop of a computer squirrelled away at work somewhere. I'll try and dig it out of it needs rescuing. Seemed a useful bit of information at the time so I saved it, bought a remote and then stuck the remote in a drawer somewhere. Then moved house. Twice. Still got it though.

#39 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:03 PM

I fitted the S001. Think it's a better newer tyre. Great wet tyre, on my second set now and love them. Same price fitted on my drive a few week back. .

Edited by ghand, 02 June 2015 - 11:15 PM.

#40 furtive

furtive

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:59 AM

I fitted the S001. Think it's a better newer tyre. Great wet tyre, on my second set now and love them. Same price fitted on my drive a few week back. .

What do you put on the front though?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyres, again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users