track day

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Morse

Steve Morse

• 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:52 PM

Hi there

I have just found this forum and put the following post below in the General Discussion section (which is probably wrong I know.....)

Hello VX220 People

I am seeking some advice from people who know the VX220.  Here is my current situation:

I have always wanted to take my own car (not a VX220!) on a track day, and managed to do so at Goodwood recently.  It was absolutely epic.  That said, despite my car being fast, it is not designed for track days and so now I am considering buying another, additional car, just for track day use.   It needs to be road legal, so one that I can drive to and from the circuit, but not for particularly regular road use otherwise. 

The VX220 seems to keep coming up as a possible solution.

I am not looking to spend megabucks and I am certainly not a driving God or DIY enthusiast so I am looking for something that is minimal hassle (if that is possible with a track day car!) and yet maximum fun.  If that combination actually exists...........

The Lotus Elise is an obvious choice but the VX220 seems to be fitting the bill increasingly and yet I have no knowledge of these cars other than the extensive reading that I have done online.  

I have read that there are many modifications available for the VX220 so I have wondered if buying an inexpensive, standard VX220 car and then choosing certain modifications, depending on the likely enhancements per pound, makes sense.

Does this thinking make any sense, and is the VX220 a good track day car for someone with my pretty basic requirements?

All advice is VERY welcome and apologies if these questions sound dim witted and naive.

Many thanks in advance

:-)

#2 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:05 PM

Pretty much yes to all your questions. Get an NA, ideally with some mods already done (wheels, tyres, brake pads) and you're good to go. If it's standard then these mods are relatively inexpensive for the amount of joy you'll have :)

#3 Steve Morse

Steve Morse

• 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

Pretty much yes to all your questions. Get an NA, ideally with some mods already done (wheels, tyres, brake pads) and you're good to go. If it's standard then these mods are relatively inexpensive for the amount of joy you'll have :)

Thanks for the speedy reply:-)

What is 'NA'?  Also if mods have already been done (which would make sense as you say), and I suspect that many car will have had some, how can one verify if the work has been done properly, or am I just being a pedant?!  I assume that there should there be supporting paper work for any remapping, other work etc

Thanks again.

#4 karlb123

karlb123

• PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Actual NPC engineer.

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

N/A - Naturally aspirated :-)

#5 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply:-)

What is 'NA'?  Also if mods have already been done (which would make sense as you say), and I suspect that many car will have had some, how can one verify if the work has been done properly, or am I just being a pedant?!  I assume that there should there be supporting paper work for any remapping, other work etc

Thanks again.

Yeah it's the 2.2 Z22SE engine. It's a bit lighter but doesn't have as much power as the turbo version.  The mods I mentioned are visible and hard to feck up. And there's no point remapping an NA. If you see one you like ask someone nearby to go have a look with you. We are generally a friendly helpful bunch :)

#6 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

do it!

#7 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

i should try and be more helpfull, although i dont know a huge amount.

Mainly just make sure fluids are all good, brakes have good life in them and the two common failures on the forum (hcb, toelinks) have been done recently.  They arnt mega expensive if not.

Then once youve done a few, get ready with the chequebook for the endless amount of upgrades and tweaking.

Im sure theres a trackday guide on here somewhere...................

#8 rapide

rapide

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

I've tracked a fairly wide variety of cars. In my opinion a seven is the best option for a dedicated track car. If I was in a position to have a dedicated track car I'd sell my VX and buy another. I sold my seven because I had/ have neither the time or cash to do more than 2/3 trackdays a year. The VX is a fantastic compromise as you can use it for more journey's (including the nursery run!), in more weather; and it's also great fun on track when the opportunity arises. However, a seven on a track is unbeatable for ultimate thrills. Ergo. Buy both. And a motorbike - potential for even bigger thrills if you're a good enough rider (I wasnt). Planes are fun too I'm told?

#9 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Do you have a budget? If you have more to spend then a Caterham is much better on track.

#10 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

arguably best of the practical drive to any circuit in europe , then drive home again, more than capable

#11 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Do you have a budget? If you have more to spend then a Caterham is much better on track.

How do you define 'better'?

#12 rapide

rapide

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

More fun. Not by much, but a Caterfield on a track is pretty special

#13 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

Agreed... Unless it rains and you have no doors, roof or screen :) and especially if you have to drive it too/from circuit. :) On a dry day, I would have to agree though.

#14 rapide

rapide

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

Agreed... Unless it rains and you have no doors, roof or screen :) and especially if you have to drive it too/from circuit. :) On a dry day, I would have to agree though.
Couldn't agree more. Pretty much why I no longer own one; planning free time around weather reports got tiresome. A half hood was a great investment mind. It's the same every spring, a few days of nice weather and I can't help but check the classifieds for Westfields and sportsbikes :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: track day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users