• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

Please note the offer below is not for Spitfire toe-links.

If you have a Spitfire kit the option for M12 is already available and possibly you already have the M12 outer fasteners. Please contact us for advice.

We have had a chat within Spitfire over the last few days and have decided to release a number of our bearings to make M12 conversion kits for the VX, both upright types.

Price will be £129 + delivery and vat

When fitted this kit will virtually eliminate the possibility of an outer failure but still keeps the inner fastener at 8.8 so the frangibility of the toe-link as a system is not effected much if at all.

The M12 conversion kit has a clamping force of almost twice that of the M10 x 8.8 fasteners, and about 30% higher than the M10 x 10.9

We are not, and do not want to appear to be jumping on some sort of fear band wagon, considering the cost of our bearings which are custom made and the rest of the components which are 7068 and 7075, we hope it is clear that commercially this is not a winner for us.

Hopefully the quality and reliability of the components will impress you enough in time to purchase the rest of the kit! 

First things first though.

As you may know we have always refused to sell spares for other aftermarket kits and this is still the plan but clearly a solution is needed to the alleviate concerns that some owners clearly have.

The kit will fit any aftermarket kit that uses a male, 1/2" UNF RH threaded outer bearings.

This applies to most aftermarket kits but you will need to check your specific fitment. This kit is not designed to fit OE toe links.

For those with the earlier recessed uprights these will need to be reamed.

This could be done locally or by yourself if you have the ability and tooling.

If you prefer this can be done by ourselves also, the reaming and 3 stage plating to a very high standard on both uprights will be £35+vat

Kits consist of:-

2 x RH 1/2”UNF Spitfire custom bearings with nitrile boots and locknuts.

These are the most durable of any bearing fitted to the VX/Elise, well over 5 years now without a single replacement. Prior to this they were tested for two seasons as main wishbone bearings and they didn’t wear out then either.

7068 and 7075 collets as required for your upright type.

M12 x 8.8 for the outer fasteners

M10 x 8.8 for the inner fasteners (this gives you the option to remove higher tensile bolts if fitted).

All bolts are BZP socket cap bolts, HQ, fully traceable stock.

Shim kit including C shims for quick bumpsteer setup.

The kit components will be fully assembled ready to fit.

Clear instructions will be available and we estimate delivery in about three weeks.

Please contact us if you are interested.

Ta

Gaz

#2 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

:tt:

A proper solution.  Top job!

#3 joshua

joshua

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

This is a very good price.

I made up my own kit and sourced and fitted 4 x 1/2" (12.7mm) rose joints RH + LH thread each side, but I think just the rose joints without the rest of the hardwear cost more than £129...

I also constructed a tube jig to align the reamer through the hub and eliminate any chance of chatter.

#4 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

Fitting mine tomorrow, nothing wrong with my four year old spitfire bearings but they were the older M10 type and I wanted the peace of mind of the stronger M12 version. :tt:

#5 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

Fitting mine tomorrow, nothing wrong with my four year old spitfire bearings but they were the older M10 type and I wanted the peace of mind of the stronger M12 version. :tt:

You just want a bit of reaming Dave lol

#6 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

Always :blush:

#7 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

Is it needed to drill 12mm hole in the knuckles with this kit? Why do you want 8.8 M10 instead of 10.9 M10? Br, Per

#8 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

It's my understanding that the higher the tensile grade the more brittle the bolt. You'd rather have it bend than snap,

#9 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:56 PM

Is it needed to drill 12mm hole in the knuckles with this kit? Why do you want 8.8 M10 instead of 10.9 M10? Br, Per

Yes it is, ream to 12.3 ish.

We can also arrange this if reqd and HQ plate afterwards.

8.8 offers more protection once it has started to yield as it will bend before failing (assuming the forces are in line with this) This may allow a visual inspection to detect any deformation so appropriate action can be taken.

Although the 10.9 has a higher yield, once it does so it is far more likely to snap giving a reduced oppertunity for discovery of the problem.

Clearly the M12 is much better choice as it has an even higher yield with all the advantages of an 8.8

:)

#10 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

It's my understanding that the higher the tensile grade the more brittle the bolt. You'd rather have it bend than snap,

The 8.8 seem to be snapping anyway - possibly after stretching first and becoming loose. Surely it would be better if they were 10.9 as they'd be less likely to stretch in the first place and therefore less likely to snap?

I'm trying to find some M10x90 10.9 bolts but struggling to find them except from companies that only supply trade: http://www.kramp.com...0913&storeId=10

#11 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

The 8.8 seem to be snapping anyway - possibly after stretching first and becoming loose. Surely it would be better if they were 10.9 as they'd be less likely to stretch in the first place and therefore less likely to snap?

I'm trying to find some M10x90 10.9 bolts but struggling to find them except from companies that only supply trade: http://www.kramp.com...0913&storeId=10

Like so many thinks in life it is not that simple :)

http://www.vx220.org...oe-links/page-8    post 148

If all the kits had the same design it could be reduced to a simple bolt spec choice though which spec would still depend upon the design.

:)

Gaz

#12 Johnturner

Johnturner

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

I can't see a contact no for Spitfire, does anyone have it?

#13 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:43 AM

Try sending Gaz a PM on here.  He's a good guy so I would expect he'll reply thumbsup

#14 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

I always try to answer quickly though 5 mins is not a standard I can always keep   :)

Pleae PM

#15 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:46 PM

To confirm what FLD said, Gaz is a great chap to deal with. I'm in the process of getting a toe link kit fitted and he's been really patient with my lack of technical knowledge both via email and phone. Also the kit is amazing, it's like automotive art!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users