Vx220 Sc Or Itb For Track & Race

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Peggen

Peggen

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:13 PM

Hi, Looking for a high spec track and race car, appearance and interior not important. SC or ITB engine (no turbo please) with around 250bhp and appropriate upgrades. Chassis upgrades for racing such as ball joints, bushings, ARBs, dampers, brakes, toe links, wheels, windows, belts etc. Price depending on spec and build quality. - I will pay for something race ready, but nothing extra for nice seats or stereo etc. (Have a road legal rhd 225bhp/600kg Sylva Phoenix if exchange is interesting.) Johan

#2 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:50 AM

The last SC vx220 race car sold for 20k Admittedly it had a extra 100 hp but just gives you some idea

#3 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

You wont get get an ITB with 250

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

was going to say , buy Marks , thats a multiple trophy winning , race proven car.

#5 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

was going to say , buy Marks , thats a multiple trophy winning , race proven car.

Not for sale, will be undergoing a winter refresh ready for next season

#6 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:58 PM

you certainly can, but it costs quite a lot :mellow:

Mine is somewhere around that figure, but it's £25k if anybody wants to buy it, so isn't going anywhere :P

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

you certainly can, but it costs quite a lot :mellow:

Mine is somewhere around that figure, but it's £25k if anybody wants to buy it, so isn't going anywhere :P

What I meant was he wont find an ITB with 250 with all the race stuff he wants on it. It'll be hard enough finding any ITB with all the race stuff he wants on it. I'm not aware of a race ready ITB car in the UK apart from mine and mines not for sale

Edited by fiveoclock, 12 October 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#8 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:34 PM

I'd be worried about racing either an ITB or SC at 250hp for long term reliability. Guess it depends on what type or racing and how long the sessions will be. Stick with standard internals in case you need a new engine.

#9 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

I'd be worried about racing either an ITB or SC at 250hp for long term reliability. Guess it depends on what type or racing and how long the sessions will be. Stick with standard internals in case you need a new engine.

As you know this is what I do. I'm at 158 at the hubs so prob about 175 to 180 at the fw. I've done three seasons of 45 minute races (prob done around 22 races now with an oil change for every meeting) and I'm on my third engine and fourth gearbox. Even at my low power I look upon engines and gearboxes as consumables. I have a spare 4.17 gearbox ready to go in whenever I may need it and am trying to do the same with an engine (so with cams, springs, chain, balancer delete already done) Joe  :poke:  :poke:  :poke:  :poke:

Edited by fiveoclock, 12 October 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#10 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

As you know this is what I do

Absolutely, I thought I'd best let you confirm the tally ☺ The other competitive stuff (that I'm aware of) that VXs have competed in haven't been so demanding so less if an attrition rate.

#11 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

so what is causing the engine failures ?

low oil level - big ends dead

low oil pressure - cam bearings seized

con rod failing 

piston imploding - det

valve head(s) dropped off

#12 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Wear and tear from being hammered flat out for 45 minutes race after race after race culminating in low compression in one cylinder both times. Not really opened them up to find out why

#13 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

probably ringland failure then, std pistons are terrible for doing that

#14 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

so what is causing the engine failures ?   low oil level - big ends dead low oil pressure - cam bearings seized con rod failing  piston imploding - det valve head(s) dropped off

Have you ever driven around a track with Mark? Therein lies the answer.

#15 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

probably ringland failure then, std pistons are terrible for doing that

Thats what I assumed. One went at Brands right at the end of a race, onto 3 cylinders but finished the race without losing a place and another went in qualifying at Oulton Park. Again onto 3 cylinders. Decided to race anyway as only 5 in my class. Amazingly the engine kept going for 45 minutes, wouldnt rev over 4500 for the last two laps though but one car crashed, another had terminal engine failure and I came in third in class and got a stupid plastic cup!! I really need someone to build me an engine thats going to last. Do you know anyone?  :D

#16 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:38 PM

Very surprised the engines can't take 45min races even if it is bouncing off the Rev limit most of the time. If it is the Pistons letting go I would be getting the mapping checked out.

#17 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:48 PM

Very surprised the engines can't take 45min races even if it is bouncing off the Rev limit most of the time. If it is the Pistons letting go I would be getting the mapping checked out.

The car was mapped by Alan Collins at Webcon. There is nothing wrong with the mapping

#18 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:40 PM

Could it be fuel starvation under certain conditions on track? Ringland do go but it tends to be on boosted engines.

#19 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:15 AM

Mark this might be a daft question but why not just leave the engine near standard? To finish first first you must finish and all that.

#20 Peggen

Peggen

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

I've currently got a C20XE engine (no VX) with ITB and the usual mods inside that makes 225bhp. It has lasted many track days with hours of driving. Perhaps because all support systems are over sized. It always runs cool, has plenty of fuel, constant high oil pressure and level etc. Surprised the newer engines are worse? Is it heat, high revs, design?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users