Photo

Na Or Turbo? Any Advice Please? What To Look For When Buying?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

Hi. I'm looking to buy my first VX after the initial battle of lotus or vauxhall has been settled in my head based on my presumption that from the limited research I have done- there are about 50 percent parts likely to be priced as vauxhall not the dearer lotus brand?? I have been running a 2004 Porsche 911 which unfortunately didn't fair too well and died a death, allowing me to escape luckily! I replaced it with another 911-this time a carrera 4. Thisbhasnt killed me as yet but I have decided that the parts and bills coming in are too costly so have decided to sell this and the VX seemed to satisfy my need for some soft top + speed whilst freeing up a bit of cash for my rs2000 4x4 which is wanting a cash injection. Am I wrong to think that the VX bills will be any more affordable than the porsche ones have been? I had a zafira gsi for several years and loved every minute of that. I can't decide whether the 2.2 or turbo would be right..... I would really welcome any advice on what to look for with the vx's please guys and dolls! I've been googling like mad and watching reviews etc but there's no substitute like the people that live with them! Thanks in advance.......!

#2 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Music, Sci-Fi, Cars and driving,.

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

Welcome to the madhouse. You may be aware that the engine unit in the zafira gsi is the same as in the vx turbo. Saying that, both the turbo and n/a engines are bullet proof (if looked after).  There are some decent members with excellent knowledge in the Derbyshire area.  

Edited by Ian59, 18 October 2015 - 07:41 PM.

#3 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

cheers- I thought they were the same. my turbo blew a month after owning the gsi, but a warranty covered it that time! that was probably the thing that tempts me more towards the n.a. I haven't driven either car- is there much difference between the turbo and n.a.?

#4 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

I had an astra gsi , great motor. I have a n/a and have only been in a turbo a few years ago as a passenger, so wouldn't be able you give you a honest answer. Both very quick, but the turbo has 200bhp against the standard n/a's 145bhp. I think there is around 0.5 secs difference in the 0-60 times. 

#5 ChippyFA

ChippyFA

• PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Throwing money at the Vx

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

Both are great cars the na is serious fun as you can drive them balls out and enjoy every minute of it were the turbo has a totally different feel

#6 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

is it a compulsory vx thing that you have to drive it with your balls out? lol. thanks for the replies. I'm very excited....can't even decide on the colour!

#7 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

Europa Blue with blue leather seats      thumbsup

#8 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

Everybody will have a different opinion on vx colours. I like the Europa Blue because it's close to the Arden Blue of the Astra gsi I had, and I loved that colour,

Edited by Ian59, 18 October 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#9 deano01

deano01

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:Playing with chainsaws and other power tools, Films, rallying, fishing, Vx

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

Both are great cars the na is serious fun as you can drive them balls out and enjoy every minute of it were the turbo has a totally different feel

:yeahthat:

I like my N/A for that reason however once at speed the turdos  do seem to get away.  :( 

With the na you do tend to read the road earlier and get on the power sooner. ;)

Best to drive / passenger in both and see what you prefer.  

#10 ChippyFA

ChippyFA

• PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

I don't know deano you were never that far behind today Oz2044 if you want a passenger ride let me know I live in Derby I must warn you though mine stage 2+ and a lot different from a standard turbo

#11 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

A silver NA is probably your best bet ;)

Something I've learnt with experience when buying old cars, it's not the mileage that counts, it's how they've been looked after. Once a car is over 10 years old it will have problems regardless of mileage. It's just Entropy.

#12 james.a

james.a

Proud member of the Northants Pedantic Crew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Interests:Driving Trigger's broom since March 2010

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:36 PM

I drive a silver NA with 120k on the clock - known as the LidlVX due to the amount of blagged/recycled parts on it. I've been scared witless in souped up turbos and loved every minute of it, but for sheer handling and fun I wouldn't change mine for the worlvd! Drive both. Each to their own and all that.

Edited by james.a, 18 October 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#13 oz2044

oz2044

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

thanks all. anything to look for other than crash damage/track abuse?

#14 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

Couple of Turbos up the M1 here in Wakefield if you want a closer look :D 

http://www.pistonhea...s/dealer/776676

#15 deano01

deano01

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:Playing with chainsaws and other power tools, Films, rallying, fishing, Vx

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

A silver NA is probably your best bet ;)

Something I've learnt with experience when buying old cars, it's not the mileage that counts, it's how they've been looked after. Once a car is over 10 years old it will have problems regardless of mileage. It's just Entropy.

:yeahthat: Well apart from the silver bit, red is obviously fastest. :D 

Cat c/d cars tuboluca on here sells good examples.

Non cat cars, jonnyboy on here is a dealer too. But be warned rumour has it if you go to jonnyboys  you will not come away empty handed. I have seen two cars from jonnyboys today and they are really nice cars.

#16 deano01

deano01

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Couple of Turbos up the M1 here in Wakefield if you want a closer look :D

http://www.pistonhea...s/dealer/776676

That's the guy... thumbsup 

He even works out of hours :D

#17 Tusk

Tusk

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

By any chance is it your C4 on Pistonheads with VX220 listed as P/X? I considered getting in touch as I do have a soft spot for 911's. As for Turbo vs. NA - for me at the time was partly budget driven, a good NA is several thousands cheaper than a good Turbo. Supercharging the NA is quite easy and is very common, so could be an option if you wanted to spend less up front but wanted more power later.

#18 ChippyFA

ChippyFA

• PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

It's all over Johnnyboy is on the thread 😃

#19 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

Also, the 2.2 was always meant to be supercharged so it should be reliable. The 2.0 turbo was because they didn't get the supercharger ready in time.

#20 cressey

cressey

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Welcome to the forum. Where are you based? See someone has mentioned Derbyshire but not sure how they've found that. I currently have 2 VX Turbo's in Derby you're welcome to come and have a snoop at/pax ride. One is completely standard and currently for sale and the other is a Stage 2. I've been an owner for about 4 years and could give you a few pointers when buying if you like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users