Evora Buyers Guide

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:59 PM

Confidence in the car helps. That was my second trip to Spa this year in the Evora, Snetterton was my first trip in 18m and in a different car. Tyres make a big difference, I'd love to get a set of AD08 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport onto the Evora as I'm sure I could go quicker. Power to weight is definitely down in the Evora at 276bhp/1380kg but it just seems to want to pull and pull, plus it really inspires the driver to push harder.

#22 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

The NA evora doesn't hang about - it seems quicker than I expected based on the specs. I followed for a bit at Snetterton and you wasn't hanging around then either. I'll dig put the footage if interested.

Go for it 👍

Two Evora's come past just as I exit the pits on my outlap (I assume you're in the Yellow one?). You see more of the Evora from 2:10. It's certainly not lacking pace down the straight (2:25). It must be a very healthy 275 horses and corners very flat considering the reported road comfort!

I loaded the whole session as it also included JG (after I get past the peugeot) who's exhaust is also clearly audible over the vx SC whine... :)

Edited by Captain Vimes, 29 November 2015 - 09:25 PM.

#23 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

The red is an Evora S. Who in a later session couldn't catch me.... He was using Avon ZZRs so had more grip.

#24 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

thumbsup

#25 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

Cough.

Didn't see that coming! :o ;)

#26 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

Power to weight is definitely down in the Evora at 276bhp/1380kg but it just seems to want to pull and pull, plus it really inspires the driver to push harder.

This, along with the bizarre rear end styling are my issues with the Evora. Was the target weight really 1.4 tons for a compact 2+2 made of aluminium and fibreglass?!

#27 rickyzero

rickyzero

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

But it drives so beautifully! Attached File  image.jpeg   102.5KB   24 downloads

Edited by rickyzero, 29 November 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#28 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

Power to weight is definitely down in the Evora at 276bhp/1380kg but it just seems to want to pull and pull, plus it really inspires the driver to push harder.

This, along with the bizarre rear end styling are my issues with the Evora. Was the target weight really 1.4 tons for a compact 2+2 made of aluminium and fibreglass?!

The VX isn't exactly a looker from the back ! 

#29 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

I think it is a looker from the back

#30 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

Cough.

James, your old rusty vauxhall now gone then ? 

New Lotus sat on drive

#31 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

No! I'm going for the best of both worlds B)

#32 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

Cough.

10/10 for spotting it though Sherlock  :rolleyes:

#33 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

No mention of the clutch problems?

#34 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

No mention of the clutch problems?

I'm not sure if there are "problems" as such. I guess someone like Jez could comment on how many he's changed? I know of several at 40-50k on their original clutches. It is however, a clam off job, so could be as high as £2-£3k depending on labour rates and how much of the clam removal you do in advance. In that respect, it's like a big VX to take the rear clam off. I think if I needed a clutch, I'd remove the rear clam and then have it recovered to BoT to have them do the actual clutch work.

#35 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

Jez hasnt changed any but he's had quite a few with the problem. By coincidence the ones hes seen have been under a warranty as the owners have recently bought them. One of the recent ones was an Evora bought from Targa Florio Cars that the owner asked Jez to look at at the Lotus Festival. The owner noticed a rattle when he bought it but was told TADT. The rattle got worse and then the clutch pedal action changed, getting stiffer I believe but also changing height. I'm not sure of exactly what happens but its something to do with a bush that wears causing a rattle and ultimately clutch failure. Clutch change is engine out and the cheapest I've heard is £3k. They seem to fail around 30k miles

#36 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

For all known issues http://wiki.seloc.or..._Issues_-_Evora Look under "clutch master cylinder" & "transmission noise" which covers a large proportion of what many refer to as a clutch problem. The research I did over 6 months suggested that the number of "real" issues with the clutch were not particularly high. Nor is it reported as high on Exige V6s which share the same engine & transmission. Entire guide to specifications, changes over the years etc can be found here http://wiki.seloc.or...ory:Lotus_Evora I think Lee was just trying to provide an brief insight following a few questions rather than an authoritive guide😉

Edited by PaulCP, 30 November 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#37 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

"Not really high" does not quantify it. That guide on SELOC says its the bearing. Whether the bearing or a bush (I've always heard that its a bush) there is a problem with premature clutch wear on the Evora and the V6 Exige. The master cylinder failure is not of real concern as its reasonably cheap to replace and is evident if the pedal bite height is changing. If there is a noise like the SELOC guide describes then that is a precursor of clutch failure. It says some owners got Lotus to "address it undere warranty"  so Lotus are aware of it

#38 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

I think Lee was just trying to provide an brief insight following a few questions rather than an authoritive guide😉

I'm sure and, of course, I'm not criticising his efforts. I'm just pointing out that if people are reading this and considering an Evora they should be aware of this. I agree, its only a small amount of the cars built that are affected and its not something that would stop me buying one, I still intend to at some point however a buyer has to be extra careful and really listen for this transmission noise as the SELOC guide describes it.

#39 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

The release bearing does have a tendency to rattle on idle and at low revs in first/second gear and this is where the TADTS come into it. It does however appear to be more prominent on some cars more than others. In the Toyota diesel that the gearbox is borrowed from there's lots of sound proofing so you don't hear it inside the cabin but, I am told, it still does it. The issue is avoided completely by going for the IPS option which basically uses the gearbox that Toyota intended for the engine.

#40 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

People should be aware that the release bearing rattling seems to be a different fault from the bush wear that causes clurtch failure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users